Feeling nervous - 1st time video chat tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling nervous - 1st time video chat tonight

As the title says I'm very nervous ahead of our first video chat tonight. We're not yet in a relationship but it definitely looks as if it's heading that way. We have both been very honest about our feelings and that we'd like to see how it works out.

We've chatted on messenger and email for a couple of months now. She's deployed and due home next week (although her home is Oz and mine the UK)

Not looking for any advice today - just wanted to reach out to people who know where I'm coming from and may have been in a similar situation. Feels a bit like 1st date nerves lol.

Wish me (us) luck xx

Good luck!!! It will be fine, just try and relax. I know exactly how you feel, those first calls are so nerve wracking. I remember my first phone call with my SO, I was so nervous I had no idea what to say!!! I just let him talk lol!
    When he got his iPhone he was dead keen to FaceTime but I was way too nervous, so we just audio facetimed for several months. Then one night I'd been out and was a little drunk and thought, what the hell, and I facetimed him!! We've never looked back and FaceTime several times a week now.

Almost 2 years down the line I still get nervous and tongue tied when we FaceTime. So does he. I have to write stuff down that I want to discuss with him because as soon as I see his face I'm just like, oooooh ❤️❤️❤️❤️ Lol!

Good luck, I'm sure all will be fine, I love the build up to FaceTime dates. Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Comment

Thank you Unicorn26 - Unfortunately it didn't happen tonight...the joys of army life (for us both, just different armies)...managed to message though so that's ok. Maybe next week (I'm away this weekend so can't do it then)

Comment

Sorry you didn't get to chat but hopefully it'll work out, soon! I wish I could tell you it's easy...but mine was not lol I felt so awkward the whole time... I wasn't even awkward like that when we met in person - but being on camera does something weird to me. I guess I just felt like I needed to continually be speaking to avoid the awkward silence/staring at one another. I'm always one to point out awkwardness though so it was basically a joke the whole time, and he's just as awkward as me so it worked out. I'm sure you'll be just fine! It is essentially like a first date though so I understand your nervousness. Just smile and be yourself. IDK what you plan on video chatting with but some programs (google hangout, etc) have screen sharing options so maybe you can find some interesting/funny/whatever things to show that'll keep the conversation going (aka awkwardness at a minimum lol). Good luck!
        "I ran to him. I dropped my luggage and ran to him. My heart melted in my chest as I wrapped my arms around his neck. I could feel him. I could kiss him. I could smell him. He was real. He was here. He is mine."

He could be a million miles away...and still be worth every single mile <3

We met in 2012
        We became a couple in April 2014
        Our lips first met August 8, 2014
        Our beautiful 2nd visit was November 2014
        Hoping to visit again for a New Years kiss
        We'll spend my birthday and Valentines day in each other's arms <3 - Feb 2015
        Our "spring break" in March 2015
        Summer fun - June 2015
        DISNEY WORLD!!! Sept 2015

LOVE > DISTANCE
        QUALITY > CONVENIENCE

Comment

Aww I'm sorry it didn't happen tonight. That's the joy of LDR I'm afraid, it's happened to us a lot! Better luck next time.

Comment

I know we'll connect when the time is right. I also know there will be times when we can't connect for whatever reason - especially with both of us being military. I think the shared understanding of life in the services helps us to not get frustrated with things. I'm sitting back and enjoying the ride...

Thanks Florida I never thought about using Google hangouts. We were going to FaceTime and maybe use Skype once she's back home but I'll suggest hangouts as it has the screen share bit...

Comment

Skype on PC/Laptop allows you to screenshare too btw me and my SO use it all the time

Comment

Its great that you are both military, because you already know what its like to live apart.. The first time on skype for me and the hubby?? I put it off as long as I could, and was nauseous!! But finally he convinced me and I was soooo glad I gave in.... Blessings!!

Comment

Good luck man!

I am in the same position as you being not at a relationship but seems like it can be.. that's why I want to try Skype and take the next step.

I tried to see if we can Skype. I was nervous at first, but not so much anymore. I am sure she is though.

just gotta wait for the timing and see what happens.

All the best to you! If it gets awkward you could always talk about the weather.

Comment

I am also in a similar situation like you... still not really in a relationship, at least it's not official yet. Until now we never skyped or anything but I know that we will have to do it soon. I am sooo nervous about it, not only because it's the first time we will see each other on video chat but also because it is the first time I have to actually talk spanish with him and not only write it.... Writing is not such a big deal for me, but I am really nervous about talking... I guess I will sound super stupid and that's what scares me a little.

Comment

Being nervous is totally okay Just trust that you will do much better than you expect.

~
                      It'll take a lot more than words and guns
                      A whole lot more than riches and muscle
                      The hands of the many must join as one
                      And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Originally posted by rufuz View Post
                        I am also in a similar situation like you... still not really in a relationship, at least it's not official yet. Until now we never skyped or anything but I know that we will have to do it soon. I am sooo nervous about it, not only because it's the first time we will see each other on video chat but also because it is the first time I have to actually talk spanish with him and not only write it.... Writing is not such a big deal for me, but I am really nervous about talking... I guess I will sound super stupid and that's what scares me a little.
                        You will be great - best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Wow, I'm glad I don't have to worry about a differet language when I finally get to Skype her 😊 although I am still nervous about the differences between words/meaning and accents. Should make for a bit of a laugh trying to understand each other.

Comment

You will be great - best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Wow, I'm glad I don't have to worry about a differet language when I finally get to Skype her �� although I am still nervous about the differences between words/meaning and accents. Should make for a bit of a laugh trying to understand each other.
                          Thanks, best of luck to you too I will definitely post some more in here again, so I guess you will know how our first skyping went. Yes I also think the language barrier can also be something funny sometimes. My SO and I also decided if we don't understand each other we can still try to explain it in English because we are both quite good at it. But I definitely wanna try to improve my spanish language skills. Let's see if it will work

Comment

I eventually got that video chat - on NYE of all nights which was great (it was her NYD but I managed to phone her earlier to wish her happy new year) so 2 calls in 1 day It was great to see her whilst we chatted and I can't wait to do it again - kept forgetting to talk as I just wanted to sit there and look at her...we've chatted non stop whenever we've been on the phone and FaceTime was exactly the same

Thank you for all your support and HAPPY NEW YEAR xxx

Comment

Aw, good! Glad to hear everything was fantastic =) Happy New Year!
                              "I ran to him. I dropped my luggage and ran to him. My heart melted in my chest as I wrapped my arms around his neck. I could feel him. I could kiss him. I could smell him. He was real. He was here. He is mine."

He could be a million miles away...and still be worth every single mile <3

We met in 2012
                              We became a couple in April 2014
                              Our lips first met August 8, 2014
                              Our beautiful 2nd visit was November 2014
                              Hoping to visit again for a New Years kiss
                              We'll spend my birthday and Valentines day in each other's arms <3 - Feb 2015
                              Our "spring break" in March 2015
                              Summer fun - June 2015
                              DISNEY WORLD!!! Sept 2015

LOVE > DISTANCE
                              QUALITY > CONVENIENCE

Comment

Working...
                              X