Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skyping with SO family

Hello everyone,

My girlfriends mom has asked her if she can "meet" me on skype one day soon, I know she wants to make sure I'm not some crazy person as my gf is coming to visit me first and I know her mom is worried about her flying all this way by herself etc.

I'd love to chat with my gfs mom as it would be nice to chat with her before we meet next summer. I can't help feel all nervous about it and I'm worrying it will be awkward between us all, my gf is worrying her mom will tell me embarrassing stories about her so she's feeling nervous about it too!!

I just wondered has anyone else skyped/chatted with their SO family on skype or video chat before you met them? Did you find it awkward or did it break the ice?

Thanks!
    First met - June 2014
    Became official - 14 October 2014
    First meeting March 2015-S came to the UK
    I visited Arizona - June 2015
    I visited Arizona- November 2015
    2nd December 2015 - Got Engaged
    December 2015 - S came to England for Christmas with me
    May 2016- Closed the Distance!!!

I skyped with his mom once and with the whole family for my birthday once. I also talked on TeamSpeak with his sister and brother-in-law. It has always been nervous, because you don't really know what to expect, but it's never been awkward or felt weird. His family is wonderful and they are all very talkative people, so they were just carrying the conversation :P

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I've Skyped with a couple of my SO's kids. Usually just hello's or waves to each other. Same with my kids to him & then they met him when he came out. My youngest and my SO text each other. My SO's parents both passed a long time ago, so I won't ever have the opportunity to meet them. My SO met my parents for the first time when he came out here, though they would talk to each other through me on the phone before that.
      To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

I've talked to my SO family on FaceTime. I've chatted to his nieces (they are roughly the same age as my daughters) and he's talked to my kids. He even helped my eldest daughter with her homework as he's really good at maths.

I've said quick hellos to his brother and sister in law, and I've had brief conversations with his mother. I was most worried about talking to his mum but she's ok with me and always shouts hi and refers it me as his girlfriend. I've never had time to get nervous about it because he will be talking to me then say "oh, moms home, say hi" and then push the phone in his mums face haha!!! She usually responds with "oh thanks I look like sh*t!" It's all lighthearted and in good fun, he's goofy, his mum is goofy, I'm goofy it's all good.

Just try it be relaxed, be yourself and her mum will hopefully see what her daughter fell for. I hope it all goes well for you.

Comment

I talked to SOs family several times before I met them; 2 of his brothers, his brother's girlfriend (I have not yet met her as she lives somewhere else), his aunt and his grandmother. Maybe a cousin. It was not akward, in fact it was nice because he was skyping with me a lot so I wanted to show them my face.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I think the fact that your SO's mom wants to meet you is amazing. I feel like it's a stepping stone to her accepting not only the relationship but also the distance between you. I wish my parents took that initiative, seriously you should feel good .Being nervous is normal and I think i'd be more worried if you weren't! It shows that you care and want to make an impression and parents can be a bit difficult at times. It could be really awkward for a bit but this is really the only way to break the ice in any relationship, CD or LD. I've skype'd with parents in a previous relationship to the point where my ex would basically carry the laptop around with him sometimes. I felt more involved in his life and I loved it. Also, his parents loved me so much they would buy me Christmas gifts even before I visited him. When I finally visited I felt very comfortable and welcomed since we already broke that conversation ice.
            "The Only Heaven I'll Be Sent To,
            Is when I'm Alone With You."

Met: Sometime in 2016
            Started Relationship: August 9, 2017
            First Visit: December 7, 2017
            Closed the distance: February 9, 2018

Comment

My SO "met" my parents via Skype a few times. He's always been really nervous but my parents have enjoyed being able to see his face and are genuinely just curious about him. I'd say go into it knowing nervousness is okay and to just be yourself and polite. If your SO's mom is of good humor, it'll be fine.
              When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
              no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Comment

Before my SO's first visit to Hamburg, I had a Skype video chat with his mom. It was brief, just about 10 minutes, but I apparently made a very good impression on her It really helped everyone involved. My SO's mom could put a face to that woman her son was dating long distance, and she felt much more relaxed about the whole ordeal. LDRs are becoming more and more normal, yes, but they can still be very weird or scary for people, particularly those who didn't grow up with the internet or couldn't imagine ever dating long distance themselves. Seeing that "the internet partner" is really just a friendly human being really helps understand it, in my experience. My SO and I could rest easier knowing that his mom was okay with us doing all this, and the Skype chat was a big help!

Being nervous is totally fine. Go for it and show them your best side. As long as you're friendly and polite, you'll make a great impression! I was nervous as all hell and my SO's mom was still very charmed, so you'll be fine

~
                It'll take a lot more than words and guns
                A whole lot more than riches and muscle
                The hands of the many must join as one
                And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Before meeting my SO in person I Skyped with his son, brother and personal assistant. These weren't official "I want to meet you" Skype sessions like your SO's mom is requesting but more happened by chance since my SO and I have long Skype chats on weekends and sometimes people stop by his house. I wasn't nervous talking to them because it was just spontaneous. During our first meeting while he was with me for 3 weeks, I spoke to his mom via phone a few times.

I think it's nice that she wants to meet you and you should just take a deep breath and be as natural as possible. You could think of/write down questions you want to ask before the actual Skype meeting, so you are not stuck because you are nervous.
                  Last edited by Petals; December 17, 2014, 03:59 PM.
                  Met Online : July 2013
                  Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
                  2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
                  3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
                  Proposal : December 2014
                  Closed distance : February 2015
                  Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

Much like the others that posted, I skyped with my boyfriend's mom when we were only dating about 2 months. It was kind of awkward, but the fact that she wanted to meet me felt really good. In my last relationship, my boyfriend's family didn't really care about meeting or knowing me. Even when I stayed with them for a couple of weeks, it felt like they saw me as a "friend" and visitor instead of someone who could have potentially become part of their family. With my current boyfriend, it's completely different. I haven't even met his mom in person yet, but she treats me like her daughter-in-law already. I think a lot of that comes from "meeting" her so soon after we started dating. She was able to talk to me and get to know me and start to understand what my boyfriend has been saying about me. She also always comes into the room if my boyfriend is skyping from his mother's house. I have to admit, I always get SUPER nervous whenever she does, but the fact that she wants to say hi is awesome. Just enjoy it! I'm actually really looking forward to meeting his mom in person since we've had so many conversations over skype. I think that it will really help when it's a real meeting. So don't let the nerves get the best of you! It really is a good thing to talk to her before you meet her in person!

Comment

I have met my Fiance's parents on skype and chatted about general things, and also I met his sisters and their partners on skype at Easter and they said hello. My Fiance met my mum on skype and spoke to her a few times before he came here to visit in May.When he was here he met my mum in person and he met my dad. We were going to arrange for him to meet my sister and my nieces on skype recently, but he said he will feel nervous talking to 4 people at once, so the plan now is we will wait until I am there with him and we will skype with my sister and my nieces then instead, then one day we will come back to England for a visit and he can meet them in person.

I was very nervous when I spoke to his parents for the first time and it was just small talk mainly and they enjoyed hearing my accent they loved me straight away and I have spoken to them briefly a few other times in the recent months. My fiance has spoken to my mum many times now every now and then. I haven't met his family in person yet, I know I will be nervous but also he tells me they are funny and tell jokes etc so it will fade away quickly I reckon. I already feel like part of my SO family and they already see me as family, it's wonderful and my family already see him as part of the family too. His family have bought me gifts for xmas for example and his mom already expressed that she can't wait to have another daughther! I have his mom, and sisters on Facebook and his sisters are helping with our wedding and planning my bride shower and so on etc. I share pictures on facebook and his family comment +like it and my sister does the same thing for his posts, so there is that interaction as well.
                      Last edited by vicks5721; December 18, 2014, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Tonight's the night I meet my gfs mom on skype I'm so nervous!!!!
                        First met - June 2014

Comment

You can do it! Just remember what people in this thread said. You will be fine All the best!

~

Comment

Thanks for all the support guys, i met my gfs mom and her younger sister who is 19 and they were both lovely it was a short chat as they were off to do errands but my gfs mom said "I can't wait to meet you next summer" and she kinda reminded me of my own mum. My gfs sister text her afterwards saying I'm adorable so it wasn't as scary as I thought and I'm hoping to chat with them again. When the gf comes to London in March we plan to Skype her mom and sister to tell them what we've been up to on our travels but I'm so happy to have had a chat with them
                            First met - June 2014

Comment

Very happy to hear it went so well! You did fantastically

~

Comment

Working...
                              X