Feeling shallow right now. Ugh.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling shallow right now. Ugh.

So, lately, I don't know why, but I've been really wanting something from my SO. That something being jewelry, or just something sentimental. I feel like we've been through a lot in the past 2 years, more so in the past few months, and those of you who've been following my blog/few threads I've posted know and understand.

He's not so much a "materialistic" person, or much of a sentimental person, as he says, so I doubt things like that have ever crossed his mind. I don't want to say anything to him about it, though I know some of you are probably going to tell me I should. I feel shallow and slightly materialistic for wanting something like this. Plus, I know he doesn't really have the money, which makes me feel guilty about it even more. I do have a claddagh ring and a necklace that I bought for myself after we started dating, but I feel like I just want something that came from him. You know what I mean? It's surprising because I'm usually the first person to say that something like this shouldn't matter. But, at the same time, I'm human and I do get jealous of my friends (and some of you :P) sometimes.

I guess I'm more so wanting something like a Promise Ring, or whatever; something to symbolize what we've been through and our love to each other, and our future together.

If he were the type of person to wear a ring, or even the LKND bracelets (still can't believe he doesn't want to wear the one I bought), I would buy one for him.

I want to tell him about it, but then I don't want to tell him about it. I'm conflicted. I know he wouldn't think less of me, but at the same time, I don't want to be that type of girl.

Ugh. I don't know.

Help me snap out of it!

It also doesn't help, that since Christmas just happened and V-Day is coming next, all I see on my FB are people that I know getting engaged. It's frustrating, and slightly irritating. Lol.

Also, don't get me wrong, I love my boyfriend with all of my heart and it doesn't matter to me if I never get something, I just feel it'd be nice if something like this even came up in his mind.
    Last edited by whatruckus; January 4, 2015, 09:11 PM.

Let's face it - most men don't think like we do. I've been asked more than once why women don't just ask for what we want instead of expecting them to read our minds. And men, they generally don't grasp the hints we drop.

I have a Claddagh as well that I bought when I was 21 and I wear that the correct way to reflect my relationship status. My SO isn't big on buying things either and I don't wear any jewelry but my 3 rings, so that kind of makes it hard for him when it comes to birthday, holidays, etc. He wouldn't even begin to know what to get me. He thought it was funny that I wanted a couple of his shirts to sleep in. When I explained why, he thought it was sweet.

I would say that you just need to tell him and explain why. Let him choose what in particular he wants to get but give him some ideas/options.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by R&R View Post
      Let's face it - most men don't think like we do. I've been asked more than once why women don't just ask for what we want instead of expecting them to read our minds. And men, they generally don't grasp the hints we drop.

I have a Claddagh as well that I bought when I was 21 and I wear that the correct way to reflect my relationship status. My SO isn't big on buying things either and I don't wear any jewelry but my 3 rings, so that kind of makes it hard for him when it comes to birthday, holidays, etc. He wouldn't even begin to know what to get me. He thought it was funny that I wanted a couple of his shirts to sleep in. When I explained why, he thought it was sweet.

I would say that you just need to tell him and explain why. Let him choose what in particular he wants to get but give him some ideas/options.
      I'm so shy when it comes to things like this because I know he doesn't have the money for it.

Comment

Originally posted by whatruckus View Post
        I'm so shy when it comes to things like this because I know he doesn't have the money for it.
        But it doesn't have to be something expensive. You want something that symbolizes your relationship. He can find a nice ring or beautiful bracelet or necklace for not too much. When he's ready to propose, then he can put the money into that one.

My SO bought my engagement ring the first time we were dating. He kept it after we broke up in hopes we'd get back together. Sooooo, we've been back together for over a year and I still don't have the darn thing. He says I want it too much and he'll give it to me when I least expect it. Sigh.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

But it doesn't have to be something expensive. You want something that symbolizes your relationship. He can find a nice ring or beautiful bracelet or necklace for not too much. When he's ready to propose, then he can put the money into that one.

My SO bought my engagement ring the first time we were dating. He kept it after we broke up in hopes we'd get back together. Sooooo, we've been back together for over a year and I still don't have the darn thing. He says I want it too much and he'll give it to me when I least expect it. Sigh.
          Lol, that's sweet though! My problem is, whatever he does get me, it will have to be somewhat expensive. I have a metal allergy, so he can't really just go out and buy whatever. He'll have to make sure that whatever he's buying is authentic, or I'll break out. Also, I think I'm starting to become allergic to even Sterling silver. So, it'd have to be some sort of Gold (though, I really don't like Yellow Gold) or Stainless Steel/Titanium.

Comment

Do you specifically want jewelry or a ring? Or just something that comes from the heart but maybe not something you can wear?

Comment

Do you specifically want jewelry or a ring? Or just something that comes from the heart but maybe not something you can wear?
              I'd prefer something I can wear, just so I can always have it with me. He used to mention giving me his dog tags, which I'd probably prefer that, but I have no idea where they went since he moved and he stopped mentioning it over a year ago.

Oddly, now that I think about it, the last time I was at his house, he randomly grabbed my necklace to look at it and inspect it while we were watching TV. I don't really know why he did that, he knows what it says and I've been wearing it for about a year. Weirdo.
              Last edited by whatruckus; January 4, 2015, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I'd prefer something I can wear, just so I can always have it with me. He used to mention giving me his dog tags, which I'd probably prefer that, but I have no idea where they went since he moved and he stopped mentioning it over a year ago.

Oddly, now that I think about it, the last time I was at his house, he randomly grabbed my necklace to look at it and inspect it while we were watching TV. I don't really know why he did that, he knows what it says and I've been wearing it for about a year. Weirdo.
                Hmmmmmm, maybe he does have something up his sleeve....

Comment

Hmmmmmm, maybe he does have something up his sleeve....
                  Lol, we'll see. But, in the mean time, how would I bring up the subject and explain it? I'm always so bad at it.

Comment

You brought it up just fine right here, just say what you did here ^-^
                    It didn't make you seem shallow or anything at all
                    "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

Originally posted by Unconditional View Post
                      You brought it up just fine right here, just say what you did here ^-^
                      It didn't make you seem shallow or anything at all
                      Ugh. I'm so awkward sometimes. Lol.

Comment

Ugh. I'm so awkward sometimes. Lol.
                        Lol aren't we all? I'm SO awkward xD
                        "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

Argh...I understand how you feel. My fiancé spoil me with jewelry so I don't have this problem...but have had it in the past.

When an advertisement for jewelry appears on television, tell him that you would like something or maybe while walking in a mall pull him into a store and show him what you like. You could also send him pictures of something you would love to have at some point.

I'm not shallow neither, but I do like to receive nice things .
                          Met Online : July 2013
                          Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
                          2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
                          3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
                          Proposal : December 2014
                          Closed distance : February 2015
                          Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Petals View Post
                            Argh...I understand how you feel. My fiancé spoil me with jewelry so I don't have this problem...but have had it in the past.

When an advertisement for jewelry appears on television, tell him that you would like something or maybe while walking in a mall pull him into a store and show him what you like. You could also send him pictures of something you would love to have at some point.

I'm not shallow neither, but I do like to receive nice things .
                            I do like your suggestions, and I really love your ring too. Lol. Congratulations again.

Comment

I have had the same issues, because SO is romantic but not a planner and doesn't have that much money. I was a little hurt that he didn't get me any jewlery for our one year aniversary or really anything at all for that matter. He surprised me by getting me a small diamond neckless on the next visit though.

I probably would have said something about it later on, if we had been together like two years and I didn't get anything to wear I would feel bad about it too. It is not about being shallow. It is just I wanted something from him to wear. We both have the LD bracelets and they are great (and he wears his all the time too) but I wanted something from him that was not like an engagement ring but something that said something. I even like cheap jewlery so I was surprised he didn't get me something inexpensive before but I guess to him (I noticed this attitude before with him), it is not worth the bother if he cant give something proper. I almost never take his neckless off.
                              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
                              X