Meeting Parents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting Parents?

It's been 6 months now, we only live a couple of hours apart, so 'middle distance' relationship seems more appropriate considering the different country scenarios some people face.
    We see each other every few weeks, always me going to him, staying in a hotel near his work, though he talks about visiting me once finances settle etc.

I was wondering how long, if at all, it was before people met their partners parents and families? He talks to me about them a lot, and I know if he visits me I'm keen for him to meet my folks. That said there's never been mention of meeting his family at all, I don't even know his address, and it's got me wondering a few things.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Catinahat89 View Post
    It's been 6 months now, we only live a couple of hours apart, so 'middle distance' relationship seems more appropriate considering the different country scenarios some people face.
    We see each other every few weeks, always me going to him, staying in a hotel near his work, though he talks about visiting me once finances settle etc.

I was wondering how long, if at all, it was before people met their partners parents and families? He talks to me about them a lot, and I know if he visits me I'm keen for him to meet my folks. That said there's never been mention of meeting his family at all, I don't even know his address, and it's got me wondering a few things.

Thanks!
    Have u told him you would like to meet his parents?
    sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

I met my boyfriend's mom the first time i went to see him, a month after officially becoming a couple. He lives with his mom to help pay the mortgage so i had to meet her but it was scary and nice at the same time.
      Met his dad and his 2 half brothers on my 2nd trip. Since then, we make a point to visit his dad every time i visit.
      It is interesting though because i am the only girlfriend who he has brought to meet his friends and family so the welcome i got from everyone was really nice.
      Gotta be honest it was too soon for me at first to meet both side of his family but i am so happy we did, i adore his family they are amazing people (his mom and i hang out without my s/o sometime haha)

I know its hard to bring up that you are keen on meeting them but its a good idea to let him know that it is on your mind.
      OR when he comes to visit you, bring him to your folks (that should nudge him in the right direction)

Comment

After six months I met his mum, aunt, grandma, two of his brothers and some cousins.
        Last edited by differentcountries; January 15, 2015, 12:16 PM.
        I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
        - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I haven't met my SO's parents personally, but I've spoken to them several times across Skype and the game my SO and I met through, especially his mum. They're both awesome. An all-gamer, all-geek, all-metalhead family. FLAWLESS! XD

Comment

I haven't met my SO parents and family yet in person, but we talk about our families in everyday life, his family already see me as family though they haven't met me in person and my family see him as part of the family too.

I have spoken to his parents, sisters and grandma on skype a couple of times, but mainly they would like to talk and get to know me properly in person.

I haven't been able to visit my SO and meet them all yet as I don't have the money and also we are finishing the fiance visa process, I am still nervous to meet them in person, but I know it will be okay and I will feel welcome and loved.

I already feel like I am family to them, as my SO tells me how much they talk about me and can't wait for me to get to America, it is wonderful!

My SO has met my parents when he came to England back in May last year and they look forward to that next time in the future, he wasn't able to meet my sister and nieces that time, they are looking forward to when they finally can.

Comment

She has met most of my family and met them while visiting here back over the Summer (Our 9 month anniversary was during that visit) and she got along with them really well (ESPECIALLY my mom, I love how they had a nice long talk about life because they actually have a good amount of stuff in common! She also asked dad about his job and stuff and that went on for a while heheh)

I haven't been up there yet and am worried about this because her family isn't tight-knit and cute like mine. Her and her Sister both don't want to make all the same mistakes their parents did, and said parents are divorced and her mom is unstable and crazy.
              I still want to meet them and I'll be nice and excited, but I actually worry SO MUCH about getting along with them like wow. She wants to have moved out and gotten a place with some mutual friends before I go down there anyway to help with that too, because it's so much easier to like someone's parents when you're not always in the same house as them lol
              Met: Apr 2013
              Mutual interest: July 2013
              Relationship Began: November 6 2013
              First Visit (Her to Me): July 4 2014
              Second Visit (Me to Her): Jan/Feb 2015 Postponed due to sister having baby
              Second Visit! (Her to Me again): June 16 2015 - July 4 2015
              Engaged: June 29 2015 <3
              Third Visit: (Her to me, working on it) January 19 2016 - February 2 2016

Comment

I met them during my second visit (they didn't know about my existence during the first one, and they live in another city) and it was about a year after we got together.
                I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

It was about 10 months in and it was my first visit. He was so proud to show me off, he had me meet everyone within 11 days lol

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                  First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                  Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                  Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                  Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                  Married: 1/24/2015
                  Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

We've been together since 3/2014. He met my mom while he was here at Christmas, but mostly because we're closing the distance this year and she wanted to know who was moving her daughter away haha. Due to my SO's culture, he's not really supposed to be dating, so I haven't met his parents yet (they don't know about me yet) but they also live in a different state than him so I'm not sure when that will happen yet.

Comment

I met his parents on the second visit and it was a long one so most of his family and friends too. That was 14 months after we met. He just met mine in December 2013.
                      Last edited by Hollandia; January 16, 2015, 09:10 AM.
                      "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

As TaraMarie asked, have you discussed parental meetings with your SO?
                        I met my SO's family about 3 months into the relationship (while we were still an hour in distance) mainly because I asked to meet his family, he would have waited longer but it was more comfortable for me to continue an LD relationship knowing his family life. My SO and his family just met my parents this New Year (20 months into dating) because we are an international couple and an international trip takes a lot more commitment.
                        When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
                        no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Comment

I met his family on my recent visit just now, about 9 and a half months after we started dating. He met my mother very early on, about 3 weeks after we started dating. We both wanted to be included and accepted in each other's families, but I had more hangups about his family than he had about mine, so it worked out this way. I'm glad we discussed the topic honestly, because I definitely had some issues I needed to get over before meeting his family and it was for the better, because I got along fantastically with them now. You should definitely talk about the matter and figure out how to go about things!
                          Last edited by Miasmata; January 16, 2015, 10:08 AM.

~
                          It'll take a lot more than words and guns
                          A whole lot more than riches and muscle
                          The hands of the many must join as one
                          And together we'll cross the river

Comment

I met my SO parents when I met her for the first time.

We had been seeing each for about 3 months before we met.

Comment

Working...
                            X