She deleted her Facebook.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She deleted her Facebook.

My SO told me via Skype that people have been talking bad about her, particularly on the fact she traveled to England for a boy (me). She felt Facebook was behind this, because it's the only thing we had that showed the world we were together. She deleted her Facebook and she says she feels relieved, but I feel upset, perhaps because it was the only thing we had to show everyone we were together, perhaps because using the messenger was a daily thing and that's been taken away. She decided that we should get Hangouts and we did. While it works, I'm still upset for reasons I don't know why. I wasn't given the chance to save her photos (of which she took before meeting me, but I still loved to look at that gorgeous smile). I feel as though we shared a lot of memories over Facebook but they've disappeared. Is it normal that I'm upset about this? Am I overreacting? I feel upset but I feel pathetic about it.

I've personally seen how Facebook and other social networks have completely destroyed relationships. It might be better for your relationship if one or both of you don't have negativity to deal with on there. If she did it to better your relationship and help it, you probably shouldn't be upset about it, it sounds like she made a smart decision. However, I completely understand you being upset about the pictures. Why don't you ask her for them? Surely she wouldn't have a problem sending you those pictures, if she still has them, would she? If she doesn't still have them she could also reactivate her account to get them then send them to you, since Facebook has a grace period of a couple weeks where you can still log back in and everything is still there she should have time to do this.

Comment

You are upset because you want to tell the world. If you want ways to contact, I actually like the Viber app more than Facebook messenger. You can tell her you would want to have pics of her, perhaps she can even make you a collage. Maybe later in your relationship you can go back to Facebook, a lot of folks do (someone I know is in her 4rth of 5th round of FB).
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I suppose I could ask her.

Comment

You know, funny thing, my guy deleted his right before at new years and I felt naked without him there I understand his decision though, and am now tempted to do the same. I'm a little more private than some people out there, but I kind of enjoy the knowledge that I have this piece of my life that gives me such pleasure that I can keep to myself.

I personally hate Facebook. And Sarah96 is perfectly right. If she knows Facebook is doing something detrimental, good for her for deleting it. But I think I know how you feel. I felt weird too. It was a way of touching him that I don't have anymore. I was able to get a screen shot of his profile page, which was nice. I run it on a slideshow on my phone so I can see him.

See if she'll reactivate for a little bit so you can grab screenshots and pictures and whatever else you want off of there. Sentimental or not, I'm glad I was able to snag what I could.

Hangouts is great!! It's got it's own fun attributes!! You'll learn to associate it with her and you'll get giddy when you get used to the sound it makes when it goes off. And since I assume she'll be the only person you talk to on it it'll be like your own private space together too
          "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

Relationships seem easier without the stresses that Facebook can bring. Typically the more people who are in your relationship business the worse it is. I know what it's like to have Facebook backfire on relationships - there was one time it was so bad my mom got involved. People are only able to speak on your relationship because the information was out there for them to comment on. For that, I think deleting it is probably a good decision. I would only worry if she wanted to keep you a secret but since that's probably not the case try not to be too upset. However it does stink that you weren't able to keep those memories and it is normal to be upset. Me and my SO have only really used kik to talk and none of our old convo's get saved unless I took screenshots of something specific and it definitely makes me sad sometimes (I love reading old conversations). If the pictures and such are unable to be recovered just make sure any new memories can be recorded somehow. Hangouts should save them if i'm not mistaken. And download all pictures she sends you to your phone/computer!
            "The Only Heaven I'll Be Sent To,
            Is when I'm Alone With You."

Met: Sometime in 2016
            Started Relationship: August 9, 2017
            First Visit: December 7, 2017
            Closed the distance: February 9, 2018

Comment

My SO deleted his too. We are both in our 40's and he was just tired of the general drama of FB. He works 16+hour days and if he didn't post for a couple of days, he'd get inundated with messages of "are you ok", "what's wrong".

I understand what you mean about the pictures though. I nabbed some off his page previously, so I have those. I'm sure if you had favorites, you could ask her to send them to you and she would.
              To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Facebook really can put a lot of strain on a relationship and on people in general! For all the fun and positive aspects of putting yourself open to the public, it can also bring a lot of pain and stress. Once things go online, you barely have control over who sees them and who doesn't, and especially with Facebook's obtuse privacy settings, it can become mighty stressful to deal with. I'm not on Facebook at all and my SO is barely active, and I don't miss anything from it. We still share photos with each other and some choice friends, and I feel much more relaxed about that.

~
                It'll take a lot more than words and guns
                A whole lot more than riches and muscle
                The hands of the many must join as one
                And together we'll cross the river

Comment

I understand how you feel, but she is protecting the relationship from negativity so try to look at it from that angle.

I have not even announced my engagement on FB which some people find weird...I didn't have any pictures of my fiancé there until he dared me to post a cute pic of us in December. I think he wanted me to post the pic because a number of his family members had just added me as friend and he thought they would find it odd that I didn't have him plastered all over my page. They use FB a lot. He doesn't even have a fb so I know it was due to his family's perception why he wanted me to post the pic. Once we close the distance, I will surely post some pics of us.

On my Whatsapp I regularly post profile pics of us... I just think FB adds a whole different level of publicity.
                  Last edited by Petals; February 1, 2015, 09:52 PM.
                  Met Online : July 2013
                  Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
                  2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
                  3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
                  Proposal : December 2014
                  Closed distance : February 2015
                  Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

Facebook is not important. If you love her and she loves you then that is all that is needed. Anything else is just a vanity thing and a need to show off. If you miss seeing those pictures then, like other users have suggested, you can use some other social network/app and exchange pictures there, she can make a collage or whatever to you.

You should understand that the FB thing created a lot of unwanted tension in her life that she didn't want and you should support her for that.

Comment

The idiots who attempt to ruin people's lives and relationships in such a manner are what I call "keyboard warriors," idiots with no lives who relish in causing pain and misery for others who read their abuse and hate. You and your SO don't need this in your lives, so better off without it. This is why my SO and I never "went Facebook official," because I don't want every nosey Bob and Jenny knowing my business, nor do I need abuse and rude words hurled at me.

Comment

I think it all depends on how and what you use FB for.

I have under 100 contacts on my FB, and only those that I interact with from time to time stay past a cull I perform every 6 months or so. That means that all the people on my FB I don't mind is they see my posts, although I have stopped using it as a micro blog/diary, and it is mainly a way for people to message me who don't have my phone number.

Nothing I post however is ever public regardless on what it is.

To the OP, I'd just ask her for the photo's as she may well not have deleted them - dropbox enables you to share the originals if she has them, or 'old fashioned' emails etc.

Comment

I really think you would benefit from Couple. It's a chat app but it's linked between just the two of you and you can share pictures, audio messages, videos, draw together and thumbkiss.

I think Facebook can either be beneficial or in some cases can tear a relationship apart. I know many people who have had fights over Facebook, myself included. I am sure she'll send you pictures if you just ask her. Facebook was giving her stress that she doesn't need. So, she deleted it and if she is feeling less stressed, than that is a good thing. Makes for a happier girlfriend.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

Working...
                          X