• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first LDR ever.

Hey everyone!

Really glad I've found this site!
    I thought it's about time I introduce myself and tell you my story
    I'm very new to the LDR thing, and although I haven't been conversing with this guy for very long, we've both admitted how right it feels.
    Sorry if this is long, i've tried to shorten it down where possible haha.

One month ago, we were both on dating site, I found his profile and sent him a quick message - on the site you have to option to sent pre-written questions etc before actually talking freely.

He responded quite quickly. I was a little reluctant at first, but continued to reply and answer his questions.
    After we'd gotten through those stages, we started talking - A LOT.
    We'd write page long messages to each other every day.

--- We have an 18hour time difference (him in the US and me in AUS), so each time he'd written to me before bed, I'd receive it whilst at work, and would reply a few hours later, for him to read in the morning.

After a week of this, we agreed to exchange emails, as his membership was almost over for the site, and it was easier to email than to have to log in through the site.

From there our messages to each other were even longer. We'd discuss everything from family life, work, how we would want our children raised, our interests/ideas, adventures we wanted to go on.. anything! And conversation would never dry up.
    It was really strange how we had so much in common. I can honestly say I have never met anyone like him. I've made friends with a lot of people in my life, but they've never had the kind of out look of life and opinions/beliefs so extremely similar to mine, let alone have an in-depth conversation about these things.

Our first Skype date wasn't far from that point. We ended up talking for 3 hours. second Skype date was about 5 hours, which we had to cut short as he had work the next day and it was already after midnight for him - however if that wasnt the case, I'm certain we would have talked for days.

Fast forward to today - We Skype last night, and again would have kept talking until sunrise for him, although I had birthday arrangements with some friends. We are planning to Skype again in the next few days and I honestly cannot wait for that! We tend to message each other over Facebook during the week, as I work later shifts sometimes, and its the only chance we have to talk to each other at the same time, rather than waiting till the next day for a reply.

He has already booked flights to come over in April to visit - which as much as we wish it was sooner, he isn't able to get the time off from work(he is in the military) any earlier. respectively though, I think this gives us a little more time to continue learning about each other until then.

I hope this wasn't too long for you all. I honest have tried to shorten it down, but there are just some things I couldn't haha

We've both told our mums and one of our sisters about each other, his family's only concern was the age gap (8years - 22 and 30) however once he advised them about our discussions and maturity level, they weren't concerned.

We've both admitted this feels so right, and in a crazy way, don't have any doubts lingering about him visiting.
    We've agreed he will pay for his flights (as its quite expensive) and i will pay for accommodation to even it out as he is staying two weeks.

I'm so excited for his visit, as I feel things will click properly into place when he does arrive - both on an emotional and physiological level.

do you guys think we are crazy? haha

anyway.. feel free to ask any questions, offer suggestions(especially of our first meeting) or comments. would love to hear them!

Do we think you are crazy? NO. All of us are in your position of being in an LDR, afterall, thats why we're here.
    "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

Seems like you have something going there. It's awesome that he is able to come see you so soon as well. I wish you the best!
      First contact: March, 2014
      Official LDR: June, 2014
      Married since: August, 2017
      “有一种幸福就是每天睁开眼睛,就知道你在。” -Xinxin

Comment

Aww sounds like you have a relationship in the making there hehe You're so lucky that he's booked a flight for April. I bet you can't wait to meet him in person. Have with this wherever it may go

Comment

Good luck with the visit and all
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Ha! I love this! So happy for you both hope you enjoy your time together!!

And no, you're not crazy even though it may feel like it lol I met mine online quite by accident and it's just felt right. Distance is a pain. Yours is a big difference, but I love messenger apps and technology! Lol
            "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

Such a cute story, thank you for sharing! I wish you both the best! Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Of course we do not think you are crazy! We are all in the same situation! It sounds like you've found a great guy, and when it all seems right...distance means ZERO! Good luck to the both of you =)
                "I ran to him. I dropped my luggage and ran to him. My heart melted in my chest as I wrapped my arms around his neck. I could feel him. I could kiss him. I could smell him. He was real. He was here. He is mine."

He could be a million miles away...and still be worth every single mile <3

We met in 2012
                We became a couple in April 2014
                Our lips first met August 8, 2014
                Our beautiful 2nd visit was November 2014
                Hoping to visit again for a New Years kiss
                We'll spend my birthday and Valentines day in each other's arms <3 - Feb 2015
                Our "spring break" in March 2015
                Summer fun - June 2015
                DISNEY WORLD!!! Sept 2015

LOVE > DISTANCE
                QUALITY > CONVENIENCE

Comment

Congrats, and welcome to the crazy world of LDRs!

I hope things go well for you two! This sounds wonderfully amazing!

Update us when you can!

Comment

just an update

Thank you to everyone for you're replies/support

The flights were officially booked yesterday and he is arriving just after easter!
                    As he will be here for 2 and a half weeks, we've planned to do a fair bit together, hopefully camping, flying to a few different locations in Australia so he will get to see more of my country, a bit of hiking, and relaxing.

We have also kind of planned out our first meeting at the airport - a silly as that sounds - but i guess everyone has a little dream about how they would want/expect their first meeting to be like.

I honestly cannot wait, and i know he can't either.

As i'm doing the bookings for flights, accommodation etc, does anyone have any simple ideas of things they did with their SO when they first came to visit them?

Comment

Exciting!!! So happy for you!!
                      "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

Working...
                      X