Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sending items to America from England.

Hi everyone.

*Sorry if this is in the wrong area of the forum, please place in right area if it is.

It's my SO's birthday early April and I've bought her lot's of different items to send over to America; I'm so excited but I'm not too sure how I would go about sending these things in the post.

Has anybody got any experience with sending gifts from UK to USA?
    My main concerns are how much it will cost and what postage stamp I will need.

I'm stressing out about it right now, I'm sure everything will be fine though. If somebody could go through the whole process that would be fantastic.
    Thanks !

Your best bet is just boxing your things securely, and taking it to the post office. You will have to fill out a customs form that they can help you with, and they'll tell you exactly what you owe. We can't tell you what it costs without any indication of it's weight, and mailing a package doesn't use regular stamps usually. Be aware, on your customs form, you'll need to list everything included, and it's approximate cost. Also, not everything is permitted to go through the mail, such as plants, some food, and produce, among other things. Check your government post office site for more details.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I don't personally know exactly what you're asking for, but if you have post offices I would just walk in and ask them, that's what I did for my situation. They're very helpful with everything. Also, try the postal service's website.
      "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

A post office clerk will be able to answer all your questions. They most likely have day-to-day experience with that sort of thing.

Comment

Use Amazon.com, saves you on customs tariffs and shipping and they sell almost anything. You can sign into your amazon.uk account and select USA at bottom of screen. Easy peasy, I use Amazon US, UK and Germany while in other countries.
          "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The post office will be able to sort you out but I've found them to be expensive and not always reliable. There are postal companies that will collect from your home too, Google international mail and you'll find them. I do however agree with Hollandia, I now just use US mail order companies for gifts as it's cheaper and more reliable.

Comment

I send US to UK and I did what the others suggested. I walked right in and asked. I send smaller stuff and the USPS charges me anywhere from $15-$20. Going through FedEx/UPS changes that to a minimum of $50 and then on up. I don't get a tracking number and take the risk of it being lost but *knock on wood* been lucky so far. Others, not so much.
              "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

Agree with ordering directly from a site, but it sounds like she already has the items.
                Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                  Agree with ordering directly from a site, but it sounds like she already has the items.
                  Ah,my bad.

Doh!

Beware then, it cost me 5 times as much between shipping and taxes to send him his first Christmas gift. Customs is much like death and taxes in USA, it must be paid, you can pay it or your receiver can, I paid his in advance and hence when I learned to use Amazon. I would almost suggest returning the bought ones if costs are too high for shipping. They go by weight and size, so it depends on how heavy and big they are.
                  "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                  Benjamin Franklin

Comment

If you do use the Royal Mail I recommend International tracked and signed, it is far more likely to get there or use parcel force, or UPS or Fedex.

Comment

I agree send it through the post office. If you choose any other form such as FedEx/UPS you might as well buy yourself a plane ticket and deliver them personally (ridiculously expensive!).

It will probably take a week for everything to arrive as well from UK to US. I send stuff to my uncle in Poland often, lie about the customs, and so far have never had any issues. It was mainly clothing I send.
                      Last edited by 0897klpq; March 7, 2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I prefer sending my SO gifts through Amazon.com, I've just been burned too often by international mailing service and customs. It's less personal, sure, but just safer.

~
                        It'll take a lot more than words and guns
                        A whole lot more than riches and muscle
                        The hands of the many must join as one
                        And together we'll cross the river

Comment

What are people doing that causes customs to charge the recipient?? I've heard of that and so far what I've been doing hasn't charged him anything. I always go USPS/Royal Mail, mark things as a gift with $0 value. That's what the post office lady I spoke to suggested. I just want to know how others are shipping things that initiates the customs fee so I don't do it by accident
                          "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

Sending to Finland, for example, I have to list an amount for gifts. My guy can get a gift worth up to 40 euros before he has to pay tax on it.

Comment

Originally posted by merlinkitty View Post
                              What are people doing that causes customs to charge the recipient?? I've heard of that and so far what I've been doing hasn't charged him anything. I always go USPS/Royal Mail, mark things as a gift with $0 value. That's what the post office lady I spoke to suggested. I just want to know how others are shipping things that initiates the customs fee so I don't do it by accident
                              If you get caught sending some with value it would be fraud and cost you a hefty fine. It's a gamble like lying on taxes.
                              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X