Jealousy and the Future take 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jealousy and the Future take 2

So I misrepresented what I was trying to say in my first thread. So I am going to retype it.
    First post:
    Search 'Jealousy and the Future'

Second Post:

Hi. I have a serious problem. I am an 18 year old guy and I get incredibly, unhealthily jealous. Not crazy, lunatic jealous. Just irrational and fearful and sometimes in consumes my relationship. So let's start with my birth... So my mother and father were both 20 when I was born. My father left and I have struggled with abandonment issues since then. Skip forward about a decade and a half and that was when I had my first serious relationship. We dated for about a year. I didn't have sex with my girlfriend because I was scared of the idea that she would hurt me. She got impatient and cheated on me for three months with a good friend of mine. I finally caught them in my room... Yeah... So I'm sure my jealousy comes from that a bit. So skip forward to September 6, 2014. That is the day I saw the love of my life for the first time. I wasn't planning on ever being in a serious relationship ever again. But this girl is different... Let's call her 'D'. So D is this beautiful, sweet, and passionate girl who has had a similar past as me (unmentioned in this post). We bonded and became friends immediately. She was talking to this guy that she had known for a while and I pretended not to care because we had just met and I didn't really think I would like her that much. I knew I thought she was cute. And I knew I wanted to hook up with her but I didn't know that a month later, I would have fallen deeply in love with this girl. So on September 12, 2014, she dropped the kid that she was talking to to be with me. We started dating.

Now let me clarify the situation. We both attend boarding school in CT, so we see each other EVERY DAY. Relationships move fast when you see the other person every day. We also have this bond that neither one of us have ever had with anyone else. Neither one of us believed in love before we knew each other. Even when we first started dating, we had deep talks about what we believe love is and how we don't believe in it. Or at least believe in it for ourselves.

So... back to my jealousy. After I fell for D, I wanted her all to myself. We both lost our virginity to each other. And we both shared our deepest darkest secrets. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think she would EVER betray me. And we are open about this topic. But I get jealous. Real jealous. She kept talking to that kid she had a thing with at the beginning of our relationship and I was like, I love you but that's not gonna fly. Especially after he told her, "You know D, I'm going to cheat on my girlfriend and you are going to cheat on that prick of yours and we are going to hook up." She waved it off like it was nothing but I was infuriated. As anyone would be. She agreed to drop that relationship completely. She has contacted him a few times even though she said she wouldn't but has realized it was a mistake and apologized and hasn't contacted him for almost a month and a half now. So I think she's done with him. I told her that I would dump her if she contacted him again. She agreed.
    She also has this guy friend, K. He smokes a lot of weed and he is kind of a flirt. They have known each other for almost 8 years now and has been with her through tough shit. They have always been 100% platonic Now, this D has really likes K. I don't believe she likes him in a romantic way... but she did once say that if she had to have sex with anyone in the world other than me, she said him... and that kinda pissed me off... a lot. But then after it made me mad... She took it back. It was a stupid question I know, but I was talking about celebrities... and she didn't understand... But she still said it. Oh! also, there was this incident where K sent D pictures of him... not too sexual (him with his shirt off after he worked out) but then K asked 'Would you like to see another more revealing picture?' D said no and then told me about it immediately. She did everything right in the situation EXCEPT admit that it was weird and that he was like trying to like seduce her or something. She talked to him about it and he claimed that he was really sorry and was really upset because he didn't mean for it to be in a sexual way... That he was just proud because he used to be a wimp. I am kind of over it...but every now and then, she still hangs out with him. Just her and him.. in public... but still... I am always terrified that she is going to cheat on me. Sometimes I believe that she would never... and sometimes I believe that she will. She has told me that she would NEVER but it makes me hurt... Because what if she does. If she were to cheat on me and lie about that, who's to say that she didn't lie about loving me. And IDK if I could ever handle that. So as of now, my jealousy is to the point that when she talks about guys I get this horrible pit in my stomach. When she wears revealing clothes, I literally picture her cheating on me. When we skype and accidentally flashes me (she loves skirts), I think about if she's that careless when she's with other guys. When she hangs out with K, all i can think about is her cheating. When I think of her and I working in college (i'll get to that in a second), I think of her partying, getting too drunk and cheating on me... I get SO jealous. It's annoying how jealous I get and it definitely has a toll on our relationship. At first, she was supportive.... but she is starting to get really frustrated with it. We have came up with many plans to hinder my jealousy and she is pretty flexible. But I don't want to be that guy... I need help...

So now it has been a little over half a year and we are both seniors in High School. We are both going off to college but we don't know how far apart yet. We applied to a few of the same schools but we both agreed not to go somewhere for the other person. But if we both like the same school, we will go together... Even though we agreed not to go anywhere FOR the other person, we also agreed that our relationship plays a factor in the decision. We want to work. Her parents are high school sweethearts so they are pretty supportive. And so are my parents. It'll be easy if we go to the same school... But I want to handle this jealousy issue before we go off to different schools! Or even go off this summer (she lives in CT I live in NC). We both plan to visit each other but It'll still be hard.

I know that it may not seem like I'm ready for a relationship, and honestly, I don't think I am either. But I didn't mean to fall in love with D. I thought it was going to be a senior year thing. We both thought that. But you know, I don't want to miss out on a relationship that could last a lifetime because of the FEAR of something happening.... I just don't know how to control it.

Is there any advice for my jealousy... or the Future?

Thank you,
    JBC

You didn't think to shorten it a little bit the second time around?

Comment

I don't understand the point of making a new thread with just a copy and paste of the first one, with just a little something added at the end. Regardless, I still stand by what I said in your first thread. If you say you trust her, then you have to. No second guessing and assuming the worst. Both of you need to grow up and she really needs to find new friends and stop leading people on/letting them think they have a chance with her if she's so into you.

Comment

Sorry about the repost! It wouldn't let me reply to the first thread! I agree. But she is unaware of the fact that this kid has a thing for her. I'm not even sure if he does. I think he does... But he has always been a good friend and I would feel like a jerk if I told her to make new friends.

Comment

Originally posted by jereblue View Post
          Sorry about the repost! It wouldn't let me reply to the first thread! I agree. But she is unaware of the fact that this kid has a thing for her. I'm not even sure if he does. I think he does... But he has always been a good friend and I would feel like a jerk if I told her to make new friends.
          A "good" friend doesn't send suggestive pictures to their friend that's in a relationship and then asks "do you want to see any more revealing ones?" No, just no.

Comment

It doesn't matter if he has feelings for her or not. You know the saying it takes 2 to tango? Well it takes 2 people to cheat. If she doesn't have feelings for him then you should trust her that nothing is going to happen. I still stand by what I said last time too.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSteelAngel View Post
              It doesn't matter if he has feelings for her or not. You know the saying it takes 2 to tango? Well it takes 2 people to cheat. If she doesn't have feelings for him then you should trust her that nothing is going to happen. I still stand by what I said last time too.
              Yep. Also, if a "good" friend of my SO's, who happens to be the opposite sex, sent the same type of pictures to him, you bet your ass I wouldn't trust that friend and my SO would get an earful about how disrespectful that is.

Comment

I want to trust her. I do. But what about when the irrational side of you takes over...?

Comment

I want to trust her. I do. But what about when the irrational side of you takes over...?
                  Then you need to tell her how you feel. If she loves you then she'll respect your feelings.

Comment

I agree with TheSteelAngel, she should understand your feelings, especially if she has been through something similar and it doesn't even have to be an all or nothing, it could simply be an "this is how I feel" and then you work on a compromise that works for both of you.
                    I used to get jealous a lot and my man understood that it's because of my past and helped me through it. It's tough and it's going to take time, but at some point you have to decide if you want to give this relationship a chance and stop freaking out about every little thing, or if you rather not have a relationship until you are able to do that.
                    If she is devoted to you, she won't cheat on you.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                    Married: 1/24/2015
                    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Yeah it's like what snow says. And if you want a future with this girl, you have to face your past first. Accept what had happened to you and move on. It will be hard to do and it may take time, but you can overcome your past if you truly work on it. Ask your girlfriend for support if you need it too.

Comment

While I agree that opening up to her might lead the way to her helping you with your feelings, that's a double-edged sword. I have had to end relationships with people because they were so jealous, everything I did was under scrutiny - who I talked to, for how long, did I give them a hug, etc.

A recent conversation with my SO led to me learning something new: he can be incredibly jealous, to the point where that was a major argument point in his last relationship. We've been together about a year and I never knew! He said he made a conscious effort not to let anything bother him for a day or two. If after two days it still bothers him, then he brings it up to me. Maybe that's something you can try out - just give it a couple of days and see if it still bothers you after your initial emotional reaction dies down.
                        So, here you are
                        too foreign for home
                        too foreign for here.
                        Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Thank you for the advice! I actually let her read this post. And she supports me. I came up with some things that would make our relationship easier... and she told me some things that I can do for her.
                          Are mine ridiculous?
                          1. You remind me a lot that you are mine.. only mine and that you don’t want anyone else.
                          2. let me know that you will do whatever you can (within reason) to help me not be as jealous.
                          3. Introduce me to the people you hang out with. (I've never met K before; he lives in NJ while we go to school in CT).
                          4. Whenever I get jealous… please don’t get angry.. just reassure me… it calms us both down much faster..

Comment

Originally posted by Ejoriah View Post
                            While I agree that opening up to her might lead the way to her helping you with your feelings, that's a double-edged sword. I have had to end relationships with people because they were so jealous, everything I did was under scrutiny - who I talked to, for how long, did I give them a hug, etc.

A recent conversation with my SO led to me learning something new: he can be incredibly jealous, to the point where that was a major argument point in his last relationship. We've been together about a year and I never knew! He said he made a conscious effort not to let anything bother him for a day or two. If after two days it still bothers him, then he brings it up to me. Maybe that's something you can try out - just give it a couple of days and see if it still bothers you after your initial emotional reaction dies down.
                            That's a good idea! thank you!

Comment

Thank you for the advice! I actually let her read this post. And she supports me. I came up with some things that would make our relationship easier... and she told me some things that I can do for her.
                              Are mine ridiculous?
                              1. You remind me a lot that you are mine.. only mine and that you don’t want anyone else.
                              2. let me know that you will do whatever you can (within reason) to help me not be as jealous.
                              3. Introduce me to the people you hang out with. (I've never met K before; he lives in NJ while we go to school in CT).
                              4. Whenever I get jealous… please don’t get angry.. just reassure me… it calms us both down much faster..
                              How about

1. Let me know sometimes how much you love me and don't want anyone else, it helps me feel secure. <~ Don't demand "a lot", it has to feel natural, not forced!
                              2. Keep my jealousy in mind, please try to help me not be as jealous. <~ by keeping your jealousy in mind, she is going to do what she can and re-assess situations with that in mind
                              3 and 4 seem reasonable!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                              First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                              Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                              Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                              Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                              Married: 1/24/2015
                              Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X