Religion won.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Religion won.

I’m a girl, met a girl online who lived over 3000 miles away, what started as late night chats transpired into daily phone calls and skype sessions. We spent a year fighting our feelings because she always said “I’m Jewish, good Jewish girls don’t fall for girls” she always felt it was so against her faith, she was embarrassed of these feelings.

Over the course of 22 months, we have met up many times and even though it was so tough and upsetting she did make changes. She went from never having acted upon her desires for women, she always said she never could, to slowly sleeping with one. She tried keeping me at a distant, but this past valentines, she bought me the cutest most thought out gifts ever.

First weekend in March, I was there for my birthday, we discussed a 10 day holiday next month and me moving to her for 3months in July. Even though she still maintained it was never going to be a forever thing, I could clearly see the changes in her. I did not want to push or demand things.
    I was content with having this beautiful, smart, driven woman who was very sensible, never thought with her heart all to myself. And when she used to tell me things like “I never knew someone could love me like this” or “you make me happy” – I felt we were taking baby steps.
    Very small, very little but steps all the same. I felt secure, I left her on my bday 9th March, sad but knowing we have some solid plans to look forward to.

March 16th – Residency match day for med students
    She’s a 4th year med student, had applied for derm residencyand she didn’t get it, she was devastated, crying, upset, confused, sad… she’s basically someone who has been blessed with all the money /comforts in the world, with the greatest parents for support and an amazing circle of people in her life. She has never wanted for anything and to have something not go her way or feel rejected it basically turned her in to a robot.

March 20th – In the morning came on here for advice, on how to take a back seat, how to help her, how to be supportive and loving without suffocating her.

Throughout the day I left her to it, messaged a couple times when she woke up and she said she wanted to study so I left her to it. I’m 4 hours ahead I was at work and went to a works leaving do.
    I get home pretty early, around 11.30pm, we’re on the phone – I suggest skype. And on skype she breaks up with me.

Starts off with saying its because she can’t do a relationship right now but then goes on to say its basically religion. We spend hours on the phone, me crying, I just felt so stupid. Where was her religion when exactly 2 weeks ago she was the one taking me to bed to thank me for the dinner I cooked? Where was the religion when we were making future plans?

Around 6am we hang up, after I’ve slept a little I go over to a friends to talk, I tell my friend I want to talk to J - I don’t wanna talk her round and really I don’t even want to be with her any more because every couple months she breaks up with me for a day or 2. Something difference needs to happen, I can’t let her walk over me. I wanted to talk mostly because I just felt 22 months can’t come to an end in one call.

Over the phone we talked about how if she had properly explained that this was for religion and religion only I would actually be more accepting of it. But where she was behaving cold, mean, saying things like “I feel disconnected from G-d and out of touch, I wanted to do something good” (good being break up from the relationship that is causing u to act in a sinful way). She even said she hadn’t planned to break up with me on skype but because she felt sort of numb and just ty, it seemed like the right time. I just felt so rejected like I wasn’t worthy of even a thought out decision.
    Pretty much ended the call then.

Following day Sunday – Like a fool I’m still trying to get her to tell me she loves me and that this is only for religion. But I’m still not hearing what I want to hear so after about 45 mins of a phone call we decide to just chill out with these heavy deep conversations. Its been too emotional. We decide there’s no rules on contact, we can talk however, whatever but we need a breather.

That evening she initiates contact, she was doing a shift in the ER and text me saying “ I just got to the hospital, I’m glad we got to talk, I hope you’re having a good evening”
    I reply something casual about yeah the conversation was interesting, a couple messages small talk, she replies I don’t. About 10 mins later she text saying “the doctor felt bad for me for not matching and is sending me home” I replied aww that’s nice.
    That was Sunday 7pm, its now Tuesday 3pm. no contact from either side.

This hurts so bad because I feel I don’t matter, I never did. I know she’s going through a lot but I went from being her best friend, the girl who she said she loved so much to feeling like a spare part that you don’t need. I know I deserve to be treated better so I’m not reaching out to her first.

Oh on that Sunday phone call, the last one we had, when she was being mean I said “if you don’t want me in your life anymore, just say so” and she went silent like she was thinking about it. I joked and said wow you’re an ass. I have a huge doctors appointment on Wed, like the most scariest thing I’ve ever gone through medical wise and she said how she wants to be there for me for it. I said “do u know how pathetic I feel, knowing the only person who knows about this appointment and the only person who can help me, is the same person who a moment ago was contemplating keeping me in their life?”

I guess, I’m just hurting, I hate feeling like I meant nothing. I spent all my savings on her, told so many lies to my family, gave her all of me, travelled from London to America for 2/3 nights just because she was sick. I know in my heart this isn’t her. Over the phone I told her, I wish you cared or felt an ounce of my hurt, she said I am hurting, every day I wake up feeling I’ve been kicked in the gut, I feel like I don’t know what’s happening with my life, she told me she’s no longer excited about graduating med school – something that one should be so happy and proud of. I know this isn’t her but man does it kill. It’s like we’re both hurting but for different ways.

I guess I didn't really pose a question but I just wanted to advice/ opinions/ feedback? I’m trying my utmost hardest to not be the one to text her first. We always said our best case scenario would be to be in each others lives without any romantic feelings, the bond we had is just too strong to let pass by. She’s someone who’s a good friend but she’s a bit on the quiet side, gets overlooked in big crowds of friends, so when she has someone like me who loves her so unconditionally I know she’s always said she wouldn’t want to let it go.

I could text first because this isn’t an NC situation – I just for my pride kinda wanted her to first.
    My big appointment is tomorrow at 8.40am… I’m hoping she remembers and messages tonight. When I got the appointments, I had two, one this wed, one next. I hope she messages tonight, so I see it/ speak to her before my appointment.

it really is the hardest most scariest thing ever for me.

Also guys please can I not get any I told you so's. Sometimes you have to keep trying until you reach your limit, because then and only then can you know you gave it everything and tried your best.

Comment

If it is truly her religious beliefs then you would be best to mourn the loss. She broke up and has said why, I think you just have to let her go. This is no, " I told you so", this is , she did. She has a right to walk away if she wants and if you push her she could end up blocking you and you will lose any friendship too. This is no middle ground if her religion is against the base of the relationship. It is just like when one partner wants kids and the other does not, there is no gray area. One way will give, and she has told you for her it has, she chose her religion.
      "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'm going to make a breakup club on here. Just kidding. Listen, I understand. No "I told you so's" because emotion and relationships you sometimes have to let run their course to see where they go. From the outside looking in, I feel like yours has run its course finally. Trying to drag this out any longer is just going to cause you more pain and disappointment. I just got done with a two year relationship and I get it. You hurt. You want to reach out. You want that person to be there for you in the capacity they always have been. The fact is they can't.

I know you're trying to rationalize this and think that the way she's behaving is not her. It is. That's the thing I've been trying to remind myself. My guy flipped out on me, told me he'd lost all respect for me, and basically let all the fear and anxiety that I knew was there, turn him into a monster. I think that's the hardest part for me to wrap my head around. The person he showed me right at the end was who he is. And that's the thing you have to remember. Religion is who she is.

From listening to you talk, I know you don't want to hear this, but I think you need to take control back for yourself. She's kept you hanging around, dumping you, dumping on you, letting all her fears, insecurity, and confusion about who she is as a person and her inability to reconcile that to her belief system, she's allowed that to emotionally rip you to shreds over a 22 month period. Whether she means to or not, whether or not she's a good person underneath this, what she's doing to you is not good. She's using you as an emotional dumping ground because she cannot come to terms with who she is. This is not your problem. The fact that she can't socialize herself is not your problem. The fact she's disappointed about her residency match is not your problem. I know you care about her and feel like you must be there for her, but you must take care of you. Always. She's not treating you with the same respect you're treating her.

From my personal experiences, it has dragged me into some depths over the last week. I've been trying to rationalize, come to terms with, and accept what he's done to me. I remember all the good things he's done or said, which completely go against what he told me over those last few days. I want so terribly for him to come back to me, apologize, and try to heal the rift. I hate fighting myself to stay out of contact with him. I miss him. I hurt. While yours struggled to decide if she wanted you in her life, mine told me he just flat didn't want to talk to me. Part of my letting go is learning to respect the decisions of others whether I agree with them or not. Whether I think they're rational or not. Yours has expressed to you that the guilt of her sin is too great to keep you in her life in the capacity you want. In selfishness she won't cut ties with you to let you heal. Instead she will continue to emotionally string you along, hurting you in the process. This is borderline abusive how she's treating you.

You need to decide how much you love yourself and if you'll allow her to keep dragging your heart through the mud and muck of her own conflicted soul. For me, I'm not sure what I'd do if he contacted me today. But over a week after it happened I'm starting to get some clarity on the situation and realize I'm going to be okay without him. I hope you make the decision that's going to take care of you. You are so valuable and a better person than she is would realize this plain fact. You are worth openness, honesty, and being able to live your life in truth and not as a lie.
        Last edited by merlinkitty; March 24, 2015, 01:20 PM.
        "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

I have to agree that you really need to let this go. She broke up with you and told you why and you need to accept that. I know it's hard but you need to move on. She apparently already has. Also you said that you don't even want to be with her anymore either, so why are you trying to get her to say that she loves you? Why should you care what she thinks if you have already decided that you don't want to be with her anymore? Sorry if this sounds mean btw I'm just trying to understand here.

Comment

Having gone through the 'breakup club' myself all I can say is, it is far far easier to heal and move on by cutting contact - even if it is only a temporary thing, to enable you to heal.

I am sorry that this has ended the way it did, but while this is not a 'I told you so' I think honestly you knew that this was coming a long way off, you just hoped that it wouldn't. And in that it is really shitty but the way things go at times.

Pick yourself up, you will heal and life will not end with this, learn to be a little more emotionally careful if you fall for some-one whose beliefs are a counter to your own, as at some point they will have to pick a side...... while my ex wasn't religious, she believed we could not work longer term - end of the day same net result...

look after yourself, and hope you feel better soon.

Comment

I am sorry she dumped you, and also sorry to say this but you have to let her go completely. It doesn't sound like any of you are ready to be friends any time soon. Try to find other people to rely on. She is hurting you really bad right now and she can't be the one to comfort you.
              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Hey everyone, I did post a couple days ago but after the break up I stopped talking to her for a few days, I followed everyones advice. She sent me begging messages to contact her, so I did. Somehow at the end of that call she decided on coming to visit me in London.
                She came here for 11 days, it was good and bad. Good because I’m no longer physically attracted to her, the quirks that I used to overlook before I now notice. I don’t think she’s the best thing ever. But its bad because once she left she started to withdraw again or so I thought so. So I felt used all over again and angry and bitter.

Then she told me a couple big secrets from her past that have made me feel like I want to be there for her, but truthfully I don’t know if it’s the best thing for me. It literally rips me apart though because if there’s one thing that I am, it’s a helper. I will help anyone. If I don’t stop and help someone when I know I can, then it bothers me. And all my instincts are telling me to help her. But another part of me feels like its too late. You should have opened up to me when I was at your disposable. You chose not to, deal with stuff yourself.

But because of her past (bullying which led to self harm) and on antidepressants for it, she is so closed off. In nearly every post I ever wrote about her, I talk about how unemotional she can be, or cold or distant or heartless, I remember when I posted about Vday gifts, most of you told me not to bother because she doesn’t act like she cares…but now it makes sense, she’s so afraid of getting hurt... if this is what she’s like, I’m worried when she will next get the opportunity to talk or open up to someone. When I asked about her relationship with some of her best friends she described them as “fun” and that they open up about personal things to her. So I said, I’m sure you don’t right? And she said she doesn’t. I said your friends must think you either have no problems or don’t trust them – neither which is true, she agreed.

I’m trying to be very sensitive of the fact that I don’t want the first time she opens up to someone, to be a negative experience.

On the plus side, I am beginning to feel detached. I am trying not to text and reach out as much as I have been. I’m starting to miss the relationship and that awesome feeling you get knowing you have someone, but at the same I know I gave it my all. And there’s nothing more I could have done.

Comment

Working...
                X