Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Risking Visa Status for closing the gap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Risking Visa Status for closing the gap?

Hi all,
    A backstory: I currently live in New York, and my SO lives in California. Originally I was planning on staying with my job in New York for 1.5-2 years (my full Visa term) and looking for a job in California during that time. But unfortunately, a spanner was thrown in the works and I was laid off 2 weeks ago. I have 3 weeks left in the country to either find a job, or depart.

The issue: A company here in NY is super serious about me. They're currently looking into my Visa situation (Am Aussie) so they understand the process etc. They haven't formally offered me a position yet, but they were super excited in the interview and they're already talking to their immigration lawyers.

I was getting almost no leads in NY for new jobs, and was mentally ready to move on to California to finally close the gap with my Long Distance SO. At this point in time, I have 2 interviews next week with California agencies, but it looks like the NY agency might offer me a job before then.

Do I turn this job down if offered to me, and make the huge gamble of seeing what happens with California? I already have a ticket booked home for 4/13 and worst case scenario, I was going to return to California in May and stay with my boyfriend until I found a job (tourist waivers allow you to stay in the country for 3 months)

Also keep in mind, I am pretty unhappy in New York and ready to move on.
    I'll be seeing you again.

This all depends. Would you rather go CD and risk the job that's pretty much a given or have the job and wait to go CD?
    I'd probably choose the job. But that's because financial ability is super important to me.
    "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

Sometimes we need to step back and look at whats going on... If you take the job in New York ( where you are unhappy) how long are you planning to stay.... 1.5 - 2 years is that really fair to the company also you planning to move to California, here is your chance to move... go to California interview with the companies and see what they have to offer... I always say if you don't try how will you know... I would rather say I tried and it did not work then say I wish I would have tired.... you also have a back up plan that sounds very reasonable.... good luck.... will say a little prayer for you to have guidance......

Comment

Well, look at your options. How much does your SO make? Can he reasonably carry you both until you find a job in California or not? Would it be a better idea to stay in New York for now, save up some money and gather experience before you move to California? Be honest with yourself and look at the facts before making a decision.

~
        It'll take a lot more than words and guns
        A whole lot more than riches and muscle
        The hands of the many must join as one
        And together we'll cross the river

Comment

There is little use moving to SO if you don't have a job. It is all very romantic to gamble but having practical problems is only romantic for a short time. And I guess you can't apply for jobs during a tourist stay.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Also important to remember: If you gamble on the California job and don't get it, you'll be back in Australia and much further away from your SO than before. Not a great position to work with. Moving within the country is much easier.

~
            It'll take a lot more than words and guns
            A whole lot more than riches and muscle
            The hands of the many must join as one
            And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Originally posted by Miasmata View Post
              Also important to remember: If you gamble on the California job and don't get it, you'll be back in Australia and much further away from your SO than before. Not a great position to work with. Moving within the country is much easier.
              This is a very good point

Comment

Never risk your visa status. The worst thing that could happen is you overstay and are then banned from the country.

Either take the NY job, or go visit your SO until your visa runs out and then move back to OZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Miasmata View Post
                  Well, look at your options. How much does your SO make? Can he reasonably carry you both until you find a job in California or not? Would it be a better idea to stay in New York for now, save up some money and gather experience before you move to California? Be honest with yourself and look at the facts before making a decision.
                  Luckily, money isn't the issue here as I have savings and my parents offered to help if I need it. It's more a legal status in the United States. I have to depart 4/13 and then come back in on a tourist waver. That gives me 3 months to find something in California, which is a huge gamble, because a company has to sponsor me.

Originally posted by Gayle1462 View Post
                  Sometimes we need to step back and look at whats going on... If you take the job in New York ( where you are unhappy) how long are you planning to stay.... 1.5 - 2 years is that really fair to the company also you planning to move to California, here is your chance to move... go to California interview with the companies and see what they have to offer... I always say if you don't try how will you know... I would rather say I tried and it did not work then say I wish I would have tired.... you also have a back up plan that sounds very reasonable.... good luck.... will say a little prayer for you to have guidance......
                  It's standard turnover in Advertising for a person to leave a job after 1.5 years, so the company wouldn't be surprised. Also, they have a branch of their company in California, but they expect you to stay 1-1.5 years before they consider letting you relocate. As much as I am so keen to take a gamble and see what happens, as Differentcountries said in her response, if it doesn't work out and I have to go home after my tourist waver expires, I'm stuck in Australia and that's the end of it.

Thanks for responding btw, guys

Comment

Go for the NY job. You are only three hours apart by plane. Well worth it IMHO.
                    sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

If I were in your position, I would take the job in NY, then work on transferring to California in a year or 2. Knowing the job landscape in the US when it comes to sponsorship, it is never guaranteed, so be practical. Three months to secure a position in a company with the terms/conditions that you like is not a long time, especially when sponsorship is required.
                      Last edited by Petals; March 26, 2015, 09:05 PM.
                      Met Online : July 2013
                      Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
                      2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
                      3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
                      Proposal : December 2014
                      Closed distance : February 2015
                      Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

Just take the job in New York but continue looking for jobs in California. Look until you find one that is very very promising. Once you're kicked out of the US you will have to start the process all over again and you're already here so don't risk it.

Comment

You have a work Visa that is only valid when working, correct? You have to either take a job or go home and look from there. Is it a contracted job in NY? Can you just take it for a few months while you find one in California? You could be banned for up to 10 years if you overstay. Could you go stay in Canada for awhile when Visa is up so you can apply for California jobs from there?
                          "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
                            You have a work Visa that is only valid when working, correct? You have to either take a job or go home and look from there. Is it a contracted job in NY? Can you just take it for a few months while you find one in California? You could be banned for up to 10 years if you overstay. Could you go stay in Canada for awhile when Visa is up so you can apply for California jobs from there?

My plan was always to fly home on 4/13 (my immigration lawyer says it's ok to stay as long as you depart within 30 days of losing your visa) if I didn't get the job I'm interviewing for on Tuesday, I was planning on going home and re-entering the country on a tourist waiver, which allows me 3 months to look for work in America. I haven't gotten an offer yet in NY, but they seemed very interested

Comment

I'm not 100% sure about this, but be very careful with looking for a job in the US on a tourist visa. If you then stay when you find a job, that would be illegal, so you'd have to go back home first. Also, because you have had a work visa before AND your SO lives in the US, they might be very suspicious of your intentions. I'd do your research very carefully and not risk being denied entry on a tourist visa for this reason!

Comment

Working...
                              X