Love across a cultural divide....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love across a cultural divide....

I met my fiancé when I was staying in a hotel. He was friends with the current manager . He walked in one day and smiled at me and his smile pierced my heart. I had not been in a relationship for ten years and was a little cautious. We were friends for the first few days then it became more, we took things very slowly though. a few weeks later he left for his home town of Kashmir( we were in Kerala where he had a jewellery business) and I returned to the UK, we continued to Skype and call each other (I thank the person who invented lebara mobile as it costs practically nothing to call India from the UK). His business was closed for the season for the next few months. The owner of the hotel offered me a job and we reunited a few months later. One day a few months in he received a call from his father, he had been informed that his son was engaged to an English woman and forbid us from marrying......
    To cut a long story short.....we hope for a miracle and that his family will come to accept our love. We are of the same religion so that isn't an issue just usually all the marriages in Kashmir are arranged and never love marriages....so now we spend so many months of the year apart, this time it was just for 3 months but I got sick(ok now) so couldn't afford to go back. We will reunite at the end of May and it will have been 5 months since I saw him(except on Skype). we speak a few times a day on the phone but the pain of missing him is horrendous. Yesterday was our 2 year anniversary....
    True love is worth it, I know how hard it is to find... I wish so much that his family would accept our love....
    Does anyone have any advice??

Family is big issue for inter racial Couples in India. they just try 2 control their sons/Daughters life.

Comment

Are there any way you can visit his family and maybe convice them that you can be together?

If you marry, where do you plan to live? We have cultural issues with our relationship as well, but we don't plan on living in the rural village he grew up in...It will be in my country or something more central/more tourist place. The countryside is charming but they are very old fashioned.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by Nexus View Post
        Family is big issue for inter racial Couples in India. they just try 2 control their sons/Daughters life.
        It's something I try to understand ,I read about it and ask people, plus I see it first hand when I'm over there.

Comment

His brother is also in Kerala running the shop, the first year we met he did not talk to me much but we are more friendly after this last time. He was supposed to come to the UK to meet my family this June but I don't think it will be possible this year now(because of money),as his businesses are in Kerala and he is there for 9 months a year we would live there and not Kashmir, but we do not want to be estranged from his family, all I want is for them to meet a compromise. Right now they will not meet me.It is so sad.They seem to be turning the other cheek now, they know but they will not accept.For me all I hope is that time changes things.

Comment

How are you doing now, dear?
            It took a year for my husband's family to accept me, but I'm so thankful they did.
            Had they not, my husband would have been torn in to and gone mad, to be honest. He never would have married anyone else, but he would never have married me without their permission. It's really, really hard.

Keep inspiring him to further convince them!
            From America to India. ♥

Comment

The user hasn't logged on since April 15th, so it's unlikely she'll be answering you.
              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
              X