Broken collarbone and LDR :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken collarbone and LDR :(

I suppose you get used to you and your SO getting sick and not being close by to do anything about it in an LDR and I'm ok with that. Little did I know I was going to break my collarbone with the only person I want near me at the moment over 10000 miles away I live alone with no close friends/family nearby due to being in the military. You'd think I'd have plenty of people to help me and for certain things that's true but none of which I want to help me put my bra on hehe. I also have to pack up and move house with useable arm. Thankfully I've already organised someone to physically move the stuff.

Don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not complaining or looking for sympathy, there's just not many people I can share this with who will 'get it'. My SO had a complete go at me when I did it because I was running around with bereaved teenagers doing some voluntary work. She wanted to know why someone else couldn't have been running around with them and at the time it seemed as if she was pissed off with me for doing voluntary work. It wasn't that at all - underneath it all she was pissed off that I was in pain on the other side of the world and she couldn't do anything to help me. She just didn't articulate it that way because that's how she is - I know that and I also know that part of the reason she fell in love with me is that I help others both in my job and voluntarily.

So why am I posting here. To get it out of my head and see if anyone has been in a similar situation. Plus any hints and tips of how to do stuff with 1 arm (ie wash properly, etc) are gratefully accepted. Silver lining is that it wasn't my writing arm x

I am sorry to hear that . Of course when we are sick or our SOs are the pain of the distance can be heavy. But hopefully she will be able to be there mentally for you.

I have had several operations in my right hand, which rendered me unable to use that arm for months. I seem to remember that I put on my bra sitting down on a chair doing it very slowly. That is also how I washed and took showers, exept for washing my hair which I would do bent over the bath tub /shower because it was hurtful to have the water come directly on my bad hand. Also wearing loose fitting clothes help, and shoes that you can slip right into.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Thanks

Yeah, I'm having to get used to doing everything slowly - not like me at all. Bra won't be going on properly for a while I think as the strap puts too much pressure on the bad shoulder. I did manage to get a vest on which has bra cups inside today. Had to leave the strap off the sore shoulder but at least it gave 'the girls' some support whilst I went out haha. Hate going out bra less.

My SO will be fine I'm sure, she's off to Malaysia for a week with work at the weekend so that will definitely take her mind off her injured gf I'm sure lol. Not that I'm jealous MUCH hehe

Comment

I broke my left arm in two places this past January while on vacation with my SO. I AM LEFT HANDED! THankfully I have a wonderful ex husband who came over daily to help me dress. I couldn't hook my bra with one arm! I have children and an exchange student to help me, so I was very fortunate. It's been 4 months since I got the cast off and my left hand/arm still hursts and doesn't work right! I don't have any advice for you, other than borrow my ex husband, my children and my exchange student for a while! I hope you feel better!
        sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Haha thank you that certainly made me smile x

Comment

Ouch! So sorry about your injury, hope it heals up quickly!
            I don't really have experience with a similar situation, but when I was young I couldn't put my bra like normal people do, so I used to do it this way:

Put the bra around the waist with cups at your back and the clasp in front, making it easier to close the clasp, pull to turn around so the cups are facing you, pull up so the cups sit at the right position, adjust the back so it's also in the right spot, pull straps over arms. In your situation though you might have to skip the other arm.

Hang in there!
            Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
            And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
            ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

Will definitely give that a go thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X