Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi! I'm new, how can I reassure my parents about us?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi! I'm new, how can I reassure my parents about us?!

Hi I've been in a long distance relationship for about 5 months now and I live in the US and he lives in Australia the time distance is that he is about 14 hours ahead which is A LOT. We originally met on a random app and weren't looking for a relationship it kinda just happened... Anyway so I told my mom about us about 2 months after we had been talking once we first started dating and she was like ok with it I guess then a few weeks later she started asking questions and now she says she doesn't get it and that I can't have a real relationship with someone that far away. I've already tried explaining to her how much he means to me and how much he's helped me through and that relationships don't depend on that physical touch necessarily but she just doesn't get it. I'm not a child anymore I'm almost 18 which means I can make decisions on my own I just wish she would understand how much he means to me. So this is kinda a question but I think I just need insight from others in a long distance realationship. Thanks!

This is something that'll probably take her time. She'll more likely become more accepting once you have actually met. I am 30 years old. My family told me I couldn't love someone I had never met. After my boyfriend and I had actually met in person they became very supportive and said they only want to see me happy. They know that I will go there as I have discussed that it'll be me that moves. They also understand the reasons behind this, which is surprising.

For a lot of people they won't take you seriously until you've actually met in person. The whole meeting in person is to confirm that what you have, that connection you have online/over skype/on the phone. Is the same in person. It'll take time and persistence on your part.
    Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
    All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Ella85 has said it perfectly. There are a lot of people out there who just can't grasp the concept because they have never been in the situation.

As a word of advice, don't ever use the "I'm not a child anymore I'm almost 18 which means I can make decisions on my own" with a parent. You will ALWAYS be our child and we will always be concerned about you, your life, what's best for you and that you are safe. Yes, at 18 you are a legal adult but unless you are out on your own, providing for yourself, paying your own bills, etc - 18 is just another number except for in the eyes of the law. Instead of saying it, you have to show responsibility in actions and words that show you are progressing into a responsible adult. (My 19 year old - so responsible and if she moved out, I would have no concerns as she shows me every day that she is an adult in more that just a number. My 20 year old........a whole different story.)
      To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

My parents, and my boyfriends parents were the same way. My mom and dad were worried that I was just going to get too involved with someone I never would have the chance to be with, and that I was just going to end up hurt. My boyfriends parents just hated the fact that their son was growing up and getting involved with someone, and they believed I was just going to hurt him. We had a lot of people tell us that we should just break up and find someone closer. Believe it or not, even after meeting each other and really confirming things between us, we still get told that. Him more than me. After I met my boyfriend in person and proved to my parents that he is a good guy and that we are really going to try our hardest to make this work, they became very supportive. They love him even. After meeting me this summer, his mom still does not like me and believes without a doubt that I am not good enough for her son. My point with this is that... Not all parents are going to be supportive of relationships. Whether they are long distance or not. My advice would be to just keep going with your relationship. Try to set up a time where your boyfriend could come for a visit and meet your parents. Maybe all it will take is for them to meet him. Just don't let your parents opinions on your relationship, affect it. Yes, for the most part your parents opinions do matter, and they are just trying to do what they believe is best for you. But sometimes you just have to start becoming your own person and learn not to depend on what your parents think of the things you do.

As R&R said, when you are still living under your parents roof, and your are not providing for yourself, 18 is really just another number. Being responsible is what makes you truly an adult. So just be responsible. Keep pursuing your relationship, and trying to meet up with your boyfriend in person. Give it time. The longer you are in this relationship, the more understanding (hopefully) people will become. Just try not to depend too much on what others think. Not everyone is going to be supportive of your LDR. That's just the way it is. Just keep doing what makes you happy.
        ~~~ ~~~

First Met Online: March 13, 2014
        Relationship Began: November 23, 2014
        First Met In Person: June 10-24, 2015
        Second Visit: December 16- January 6, 2015/2016
        Closed The Distance: June 26, 2016
        Got Engaged: February 1, 2018

Comment

Working...
        X