Long distance marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long distance marriage

My husband has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and it is breaking my heart. I don't know how to cope

How far apart are you two roughly, would visiting him sometime soon be in the cards? Is he in good care? Are you?

Schizophrenia is not a life-ruining illness, but it's an extremely individual thing and a lot of the symptoms and development depend on him and the therapy he receives. The best you can do is ask him what he needs from you now, and read up online from valid sources (best directly from other people with schizophrenia and therapists that know their stuff). The more you know, the less of a scary demon an illness becomes.

~
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle
    The hands of the many must join as one
    And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Symptoms and treatment of schizofrenia can differ a lot. I have a close friend who has schizofrenia, they put her in hospital for a while to give her the best treatment. Now that she is on the right meds, her work/ studies go well and she recently got married. A friend of my husband is much stronger affected, she struggles to live with other people and has very strong voices, which has made it hard for her to work. But even she benifits greatly from meds and she has an active social life.

Diagnosis are not dangerous, they are just descriptions of where the problem is, to help find solutions. A local mental health organisation can be a good place to start to learn more about the illness, you can ask for written information or someone to talk to.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

People with schizophrenia are viewed by society as scary and dangerous. This shouldn't be the case. They are people who are just a little more confused than everyone else, and not dangerous. Your husband can really be okay. If he is properly treated and takes his medication consistently then he will significantly improve and can live a very normal life. He may need your help to keep consistent with his treatment, but it is certainly not a death sentences for either or you, or your relationship. Best of luck to you both!

Comment

Originally posted by oinkpig329 View Post
          People with schizophrenia are viewed by society as scary and dangerous. This shouldn't be the case. They are people who are just a little more confused than everyone else, and not dangerous. Your husband can really be okay. If he is properly treated and takes his medication consistently then he will significantly improve and can live a very normal life. He may need your help to keep consistent with his treatment, but it is certainly not a death sentences for either or you, or your relationship. Best of luck to you both!
          Yeah, sadly media and films have somewhat demonised those with the condition. It might take some time to get the medication right, but hopefully his doctor and such will be able to get him treated and cared for appropriately.

Comment

Working...
          X