No announcement yet.

Sleep/responsibility VS Time for your SO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are 8 hours difference between us, although that's about to jump back up to 9 hours as of next week which should hopefully be a bit better for us as currently I'm sitting down for dinner when he has his lunch break and he's staying up til midnight to talk to me every morning and keep me company on my way to work. With the 9 hour difference I'll be finished my dinner when he's having lunch and i'll be getting to work at 11pm his time, so that will be much better for us. My SO has always been a stay-up-late night owl since our first conversations before we started dating, and I was telling him way back then to go to sleep earlier especially as he seems to require more sleep than I do which I struggle to understand most days. For the last year since I've been working, I've been sacrificing my sleep. I am however able to function properly and focus on my work, but it probably does make me a bit more irritable.

I get on average 6.5 hours sleep a night going to bed at 11pm and waking up at 5.30am, however sometimes it can be 10.30pm and sometimes it can be midnight. I absolutely don't like sacrificing my sleep and would prefer to get my 8 hours of sleep, but I think even without my SO the same thing would happen because I like my me-time after work. I don't get home til 6pm and for me to get 8 hours sleep that'd mean going to bed at 9pm, and I can't remember the last time I did that! By the time I've lost an hour to dinner, washing up, feeding cats, etc, I prefer to stay up that bit later so I can actually get stuff done, and yes, spend more time with my SO. He is getting an average of 8 hours sleep a night, which I do kind of envy him for, although on weekends he can sleep for 10 hours straight. Important thing is how your body functions... my SO can take longer to fall asleep and sometimes takes him over half hour, but I'll always be asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. I also catch up on sleep on the bus, taking 20min naps in the morning and afternoon on my way to and from work most days which maybe helps a bit! xD I can't wait to be able to sleep with him at the same time. I really feel he cops a bit too much attitude from me when I'm irritable about how little sleep I've had whilst he has no problems sleeping til past lunchtime on his days off. I hope closing the distance will solve this.

"My arms will be your prison" - My Boyfriend [♥] Our LDR Blog!

Started Talking - October 2012
    Started Dating - 08.11.12
    First Meeting - 08.12.13 - 39 days together
    Second Meeting - 16.12.15 - 31 days together

Rosetta Stone Progress
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    22 / 60

Comment

Personal experience...
      My SO is a med student 5 hours away from me. We literally say good morning through text almost every single day. I go to bed while he is still up studying. It has gotten to the point where I don't know if he will call or not so I don't expect or count on it. I have learned that when I expect things from him, I get disappointed. It's sad, but true.
      I may be a little cold toward him lately, I am not as open to him as I used to be. However, I feel better now than I have in a long time. I used to get frantic when we didn't talk, assuming the worst. Now I know he is busy and I try to keep myself as busy as possible as well. In my situation, I don't have a choice but to sleep rather than talking to him most nights. He doesn't have time to talk.

Comment

I think it depends on how you deal with lack of sleep. If you are able to function and not failing with your work/studies, then sure you can spend a bit more time with your SO
        Plus obviously if you are having quiet times and don't need to be super concentrated on your work, then being a bit sleepy but happy is ok
        I lived in Canada and my SO in Belarus, it was about 12 hours time difference. He would call me at 9pm Canadian time and 6am Belorussian time. He was going to work and I was waiting for his call. And in case we had to sleep we always left messages to each other.

Comment

Working...
        X