Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here!!

Hey guys!

So my partner and I have been together since July this year. We were lucky enough to be able to meet very early on - I flew over to Australia and spent 5 weeks with him. I've been home for 3 weeks and I am struggling a little emotionally. Unfortunately, he is not an australian citizen and is over there in a working holiday visa. The plan is to get him over here in the UK but I'm struggling with the visa requirements. In the UK, there are now no such thing as "fiance" and "spouse" visas, it is just a "family of a settled person" visa and it says it should only take 30 days to go through?!

Wondering if anyone here can shed some light here for me, I have a few questions regarding the visa and I will be seeing an immigration solicitor but it would be good to know people's first hand experiences.

Thanks

Hey, firstly welcome to LFAD!

As for your situation, I haven't had to go through the process myself, but have looked up it myself due to my current LD relationship. I think what you are referring to is the 'family visa', which is annoying as I know that there used to be 'fiancée' and 'spouse' visas. Every government has to hinder love in some way I guess. Anyway, the only thing I can add to what you have said is that I know for this visa is there is a minimum income threshold that one of you must meet (most likely by you as you're living in the UK) in order for him to join you in the UK. I believe it currently stands at around £18,000 to £19,000 per year.

I'm sure you probably know more than me on this matter and all else I can recommend is you go on the UK government's website to look up more information about it. Good luck meeting the immigration solicitor, I hope you find the result you want.

Comment

Hi, welcome to LFAD

I feel your pain. We don't really have a spouse visa in my country either. We have fiance visa which you need to get married during a 6 month visit, but it will not let you stay longer from it. We also have family reunion visa which usually mean you are married or common law married with a kid and it will grant your partner permanent stay. They are always looking for people to have a full, steady job with a certain income. I am looking to get a full steady job myself, which is sort of a career dead end for me as almost no university jobs are steady jobs. And it will limit my options to travel. But I need a steady income if we want family reunion visa to be an option.

I am guessing you will need more visits to prove the relationship as real and longlasting. Copy your passport and travel info. Be sure to ask what proof they need in addition to moneythings. Collect pictures and all else to show that the relationship is genuine.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by WarwickGuy View Post
        Hey, firstly welcome to LFAD!

As for your situation, I haven't had to go through the process myself, but have looked up it myself due to my current LD relationship. I think what you are referring to is the 'family visa', which is annoying as I know that there used to be 'fiancée' and 'spouse' visas. Every government has to hinder love in some way I guess. Anyway, the only thing I can add to what you have said is that I know for this visa is there is a minimum income threshold that one of you must meet (most likely by you as you're living in the UK) in order for him to join you in the UK. I believe it currently stands at around £18,000 to £19,000 per year.

I'm sure you probably know more than me on this matter and all else I can recommend is you go on the UK government's website to look up more information about it. Good luck meeting the immigration solicitor, I hope you find the result you want.
        Yes, I am actually a carer for a family member so I am exempt from the financial requirement, and I earn enough money to meet the maintenance requirements

Comment

Welcome to LFAD!

Not sure about the visa thingy but I would be interested to know what the immigration lawyer says. I found the government website very confusing, the minimum incime info is unclear, it doesn't say whether it's for the UK resident or the potential immigrant. I believe it goes up if children are involved and as a single parent of two children if that's the case I will never be able to get my SO here through that channel. It's annoying as I know I could get him a job in my brothers business and we wouldn't have to rely on any kind of hand outs but we will see.

Hang on in there, I was very down after coming home from visiting my SO, it was really hard for a while but it does get easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn26 View Post
            Welcome to LFAD!

Not sure about the visa thingy but I would be interested to know what the immigration lawyer says. I found the government website very confusing, the minimum incime info is unclear, it doesn't say whether it's for the UK resident or the potential immigrant. I believe it goes up if children are involved and as a single parent of two children if that's the case I will never be able to get my SO here through that channel. It's annoying as I know I could get him a job in my brothers business and we wouldn't have to rely on any kind of hand outs but we will see.

Hang on in there, I was very down after coming home from visiting my SO, it was really hard for a while but it does get easier.
            There is a lot to sift through on there, but I do believe that unless the immigrant has a significant amount of savings then it is the UK resident who needs to meet the financial requirement. So many rules and regs for non-EU citizens!

Comment

Originally posted by chloeturner View Post
              There is a lot to sift through on there, but I do believe that unless the immigrant has a significant amount of savings then it is the UK resident who needs to meet the financial requirement. So many rules and regs for non-EU citizens!
              I know, it's bonkers!!!! I yelled at him once and said "why the hell couldn't you be born in bloody Spain!" Haha!

Comment

Working...
              X