Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I Ask For Too Much? (communication issues)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I Ask For Too Much? (communication issues)

Well, I want to ask you all if I’ve been unfair to my SO in terms of what I ask her for communication.

The good: we both are confident in our love for each other. we don’t text as non-stop as we used to back during the infatuation stage, but we definitely make the effort and I’d say the longest we’ll go without text is from good night to good morning, or maybe a lunch text to after work. we have constant connection and trust; we’ve been exclusive since the very beginning. She usually stayed up on my Monday and Tuesday class nights this fall to say a quick good night over whatsapp (ie 5-10 minutes) when I got out of class at 9pm. Maybe we skyped for a half hour on a Sunday afternoon. Basically, she’s adorable and I love her very much.

The issue: I feel like I need more visual contact in our relationship (skype or facetime). Lack of it makes me feel like I’m missing the chance to connect on a deeper level, and truthfully it makes me feel like less of a priority sometimes, even if I know she loves me. To me, it’s the equivalent of a date. Examples from this fall:
    • There was a Saturday where I asked her for a date night on skype. She promised we would. She went out with a friend all day to the mall, movie, dinner, and then said she was going to go out with the same friend “just for an hour” to see an acoustic concert. In the end, the friend ordered food, and the date night never happened because they came home too late.
    • There were a couple of Saturdays where she had told me she would have a date night with me, but ended up going to her best friend’s house and staying overnight
    • I’d been asking for a date night since August, didn’t get it until November and it fell through after a half hour because she got sick (I was understanding), and she never asked me about trying it again, to this day. It’s disappointing because these requests for a date night were my strong hint that I needed a little more, but it never really happened.

It makes me feel like I’m not a priority sometimes. I know she’s busy (i.e. 7am-7pm work days), but so am I and I’d make 20 minutes for her every day if she was up for it. I’d be flexible if she was sick, friend came to town, needed a night of space, etc. I just want to feel the love from a girlfriend who comes home wanting to share her day, no matter how rough, and no matter how little time we might have to talk. I’d be there for her through it all. I’d do what it takes. I even lent some assistance to her data plan since she moved to a home without wifi, but I haven’t seen any increase in video calls. It’s just hard when the conversation hours she gives me often are so late she’s falling asleep on me, when she’s at a friend’s house, or when she knows she didn’t call the night before and tries to call me in the morning while we’re both at work (my pet peeve, but I know she means well and haven’t complained).

She used to do this all the time for me and when we do skype, I can visually see and feel that she loves being with me. I encourage her to develop relationships with friends and family, her ex from a year before me was controlling and didn’t let her see friends or text much (totally messed up). I told today to dump any man, including me, who tries to lead her down that path again. I explained my feelings. I told her I’ll work with her and meet in the middle. She’s on vacation now and we meet in person in 12 days, so I know she’ll make the time now. But I want reassurance that our communication will work for both of us when we go back to ldr in January, that’s what’s keeping me up at night (metaphorically). I tried to emphasize the sweet things she does for me. She says she understands. But I still feel terrible for bringing it up, even if it’s how I feel. One call and short video chat a week just isn't making me happy, despite the sweet texts and sincerity.

Am I being unreasonable? Or is there some sense to what I’m feeling and trying to say. I appreciate your thoughts, ask if you need any details. Sorry this is long. I just want to express that she does care for me, and I for her.
    ** Met on OKC 6/8/15 ** 1st Visit & Engagement: 1/30/15 (San Jose, Costa Rica) ** 2nd Visit: 1/8/16 (San Pedro Sula, Honduras) ** i129f NOA1: 2/22/16 ** 3rd Visit: 3/19/16 (San Pedro Sula/Puerto Cortes, Honduras) ** i129f RFE: 5/6/16 ** NOA2 Approved 6/2/16 ** 4th Visit: 7/1/16 (Tela, Honduras) ** K1 Visa Interview Approved 7/18/16 ** K1 Visa Received 7/27/16 ** Closed The Distance: 8/16/16 ** Married 9/24/16 ** Greencard Application In progress **

The only rule is:
    Each couple needs to communicate with each other and the amount of "Skype/text/call" is unique to your relationship.
    Be honest and share what you need....remember to listen to her needs also...wishing you all the best and enjoy your visit!

Comment

I also think Skyping once a week for a short time is not enough. Yet, we have made a shift where we Skype less and text more. One reason is that we both find it hard to Skype when we are tired. It is hard to flirt or joke or remember interesting things to talk about when you are dead tired.

I found that one practical thing that works for us, is we will Skype or call before the party, not after. I also sometimes Skype with him during a party just so I will not be too tired and he will get the life of the place.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I don't think you're being unreasonable, because I feel much the same way lol. My SO's webcam broke weeks ago, and whenever I mention he needs a new one, he says he'll get one when he can, sends me a picture instead sometimes, and conveniently forgets :P I miss those times we used to Skype face to face. A picture is all well and good, but nothing can replace the wonderful feeling of seeing your SO, learning their body language, facial expressions and habits.

Comment

As it's been stated, the amount of communication is different for every couple. I think since I last saw my SO in July we've Skyped a total of less than 10 times. He owns his own business and works 16-18 hours a day a lot. He does manual labor, so he's not checking his phone constantly and a lot of times he leaves it in the van when he's on a job. I work full-time and go to school full-time. Some days we may on briefly text. For us, it works. For others, it wouldn't be nearly enough.

You feel like you need more visual contact. She is apparently ok with how little there is. When you see her shortly, you should discuss it. This should be something you can compromise on. You may not get quite as much as you like and she may have to step it up a bit but it may be the only way for you each to get a little more of what you want.
          To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Truly agreed that Skype or Facetime session is much better than just texting.

I think you are not asking too much, but it's not up to us here to say if it's too much, you should discuss this with your SO in a peaceful manner. My suggestion is that since your demand for Skype time was kinda not fulfilled regularly, why not you being more proactive and make your demand more interesting, like have a “romantic dinner date” on Skype, watch a movie together while talking on Skype, etc. Research or think of some interesting ideas to do during your Skype session, suggest to her before hand and build up some anticipation for her.

differentcountries's idea of arranging Skype before party instead of after party is a great idea too!

Wish you all the best!

Comment

Thank you all! Its so great having you here.

I love the idea of getting creative with skype dates. That november day, we dressed up for each other and had some wine. I really enjoyed it.

I appreciate the encouragement/feedback. I talked to her this morning about it. She actually agreed right away and acknowledged its true, i felt terrible because she cried when she thought about it (worried that she wasnt being the person i want, but i reassured her). Short version: shes willing to video chat more often after the holidays, including some date nights. On my end, i told her id be understanding and flexible during the work week as needed.
              ** Met on OKC 6/8/15 ** 1st Visit & Engagement: 1/30/15 (San Jose, Costa Rica) ** 2nd Visit: 1/8/16 (San Pedro Sula, Honduras) ** i129f NOA1: 2/22/16 ** 3rd Visit: 3/19/16 (San Pedro Sula/Puerto Cortes, Honduras) ** i129f RFE: 5/6/16 ** NOA2 Approved 6/2/16 ** 4th Visit: 7/1/16 (Tela, Honduras) ** K1 Visa Interview Approved 7/18/16 ** K1 Visa Received 7/27/16 ** Closed The Distance: 8/16/16 ** Married 9/24/16 ** Greencard Application In progress **

Comment

Glad to hear you got it adressed and it's worked out.

~
                It'll take a lot more than words and guns
                A whole lot more than riches and muscle
                The hands of the many must join as one
                And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Sometimes my SO and I have movie nights. Stock up on the naughty things including popcorn and a ton of sweets, and just pick whatever films we want. It's relaxing and a good way to spend quality time together. Might be something you and your SO could do.

Comment

OMG MY SO IS THE SAME WAY!!! I feel like he doesn't make me priority at all, I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. Our relationship from the start was practically dependent on text. I like that FaceTime, I need to see him even if it's just through my phone.

Comment

Working...
                    X