Help make my parents understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help make my parents understand

Me and my perfect girlfriend have been in a relationship for over 10 months now, and every day has obviously been hard as we have missed each other and rely on internet connection to talk. We Skype literally every day whatever we are doing, and we never stop talking on Facebook.we are serious about our relationship, but being this young makes it hard for my parents to understand our true feelings for each other. They assume it is just a crush and feel she is not who she said she is just because we date over the internet! They want nothing to do with her, won't accept her as my girlfriend, and it feels so painful!! What can I do?? How can we meet? I need help!! I love her!!!

This isn't too tough, you'll be 18 in a year. Have you considered having them meet and talk to her over Skype? Your parents and her parents could even meet that way, which would make everyone feel more comfortable. Don't think that my suggestion is too weird for you, or too uncomfortable, or your girlfriend will hate it, because you've got to do something to make nervous, non-technical parents see reason, right? Talk with your girlfriend, talk to your parents, then everyone have a chat. Might do wonders. Good luck!
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I understand where you're coming from. I was quite younger when my SO and I started dating, but we had the same problem up until we met.

Even though my mom and SO have not officially met in person, they have met while we Facetime. That was one way that helped my parents understand my situation. I would try to incorporate him into small things (like casual talks while I was around my family). My mom now talks to him every time she sees us on Facetime. Yes, she hasn't met them, but she really likes him because they've gotten to know each other. As for my SO's parents, they didn't really understand our situation until I went over and visited him. Things are a lot better between me and his parents. They say "hi" a lot more when they see us talking.

Introduce her to your family while you're Skyping. Let them get to know her, that's something that can really help. They probably don't really understand because they haven't met her. People have trouble understanding LDRs, and that's probably because they haven't been in one. I'm sorry this is painful for you. It will get better, don't give up hope

Comment

Thank you for replying, but I've already done this

Originally posted by BaconGirl05 View Post
        I understand where you're coming from. I was quite younger when my SO and I started dating, but we had the same problem up until we met.

Even though my mom and SO have not officially met in person, they have met while we Facetime. That was one way that helped my parents understand my situation. I would try to incorporate him into small things (like casual talks while I was around my family). My mom now talks to him every time she sees us on Facetime. Yes, she hasn't met them, but she really likes him because they've gotten to know each other. As for my SO's parents, they didn't really understand our situation until I went over and visited him. Things are a lot better between me and his parents. They say "hi" a lot more when they see us talking.

Introduce her to your family while you're Skyping. Let them get to know her, that's something that can really help. They probably don't really understand because they haven't met her. People have trouble understanding LDRs, and that's probably because they haven't been in one. I'm sorry this is painful for you. It will get better, don't give up hope
        I have asked my parents many times to talk with her or her family and they said their selves that they are not interested and don't want to get to know her. They assume as she is from a poor country that she is just using me to leave! I know this isn't the case as she has stuck with me and has told me that even if I go there she will be just as happy! But it seems my parents just won't accept her and it is no nice for either of us :/ Thank you everyone for talking with me

Comment

Working...
        X