Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Round 2 of Long Distance

Hello again,

I was on here before but I am back because my SO and I are about to have our second LDR. I was serving in Peace Corps in Jordan from October 2014 until our post was evacuated in March 2015. Peace Corps is meant to be a 27 month service so my SO and I closed our distance a bit early and under really straining circumstances. In my time home, he's been amazing. I slowly came to realize I wanted the full 27 month experience but was nervous about approaching it with him. When I finally did, he helped me write my reapplication letter. As an evacuee I got priority status in reapplying and chose to go to Colombia this time.

I leave tomorrow and I am dreading saying goodbye again. But he's simply amazing. At no point has he asked me to reconsider, and the times I have - he's been the one to talk me through it - reminded me why I want to do what I'm doing. I simply couldn't have asked for more.

In Jordan we were lucky because unlike a lot of PC posts I had regular access to internet and whatsapp on the phone. Colombia is a big question mark - I am not sure what kind of access most volunteers have though my stepdad has said he'll keep my cell phone active for a few months since I get free texting and internet via TMobile (it won't be the full 27 though).

The upside is, it will be a lot less expensive for him to come visit my post in Colombia than it was going to be while I was in Jordan - not to mention it was a logistical nightmare in Jordan since as unmarried opposite gendered individuals we would not have been allowed alone together (bear in mind - in Peace Corps, you're expected to live as a local, not an expat - so cultural mores are applied to PCVs and your reputation in the village is essential to your ability to do your job - so an expat would probably get away with it in Amman but the small village I'm in would not have appreciated it). So there are some upsides.

Anyway, I don't know how I'm going to say goodbye again. I know that he supports me and that he'll be there for me - but it's so hard.

He points out "you weren't supposed to be here at all - this is unexpected bonus time together and I don't take that for granted."

The other night we celebrated the holidays that we were going to be missing while I'm in Peace Corps. Got a hotel and decorated the room with each holiday, bought a cake and wrote "Happy 27th 28th TJ 29th 30th Carrie" for our birthdays, flowers chocolate and wine for valentine's day and a Christmas tree and wreath for Christmas. It was super sweet.

Awww that's very sweet. Best of luck to you both.

Comment

Hey carrie, good to hear back from you! Wish you all the best of luck. Distance sucks, but hey, at least it won't be permanent!

Comment

I think it is great that you are in a relationship where you are not only free to follow your dreams, but your partner helps you with it as well. As much as long distance sucks, you've done it before and you can do it again! The first few weeks will be rough but it'll get better once you adjust to the new routine.
        So, here you are
        too foreign for home
        too foreign for here.
        Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Working...
        X