Should we keep going or are we doomed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should we keep going or are we doomed?

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to these forums. It's something I've decided to give a chance. I assume that there's no safer place to vent than here. We're all going through similar things.
    My significant other lives in LA. Lately things have been pretty rocky. Petty arguments, disagreements, unhappy families etc. Things have never been worse honestly and I'm not proud to say that at all.
    It took a turn for the worse around the holidays. My gf and I were planning for her to visit me but we didn't make any moves yet. It was a plan we were setting in motion. I know traveling is a big deal and her parents would want to know, so I told her to make sure she consults with her parents before making any visit official. She told me she did and we're all set. About a week later I get a text from her dad saying "looks like this holiday season is gonna be lousy."
    Her dad and I continued to text because I wanted to know his perspective because after all she told me they were cool with the visit. Her dad clearly was not though. Later I find out neither is the mom. So at that point I'm pretty confused. A little later I end up finding out that her parents called my parents and told them that they found a letter buried in her trash. Apparently my gf was planning on sending me a gift with a romantic letter on the side. For whatever reason my gf thought it was wise to put EVERYTHING on the letter. Including the fact that we've had sex.
    So her mom found it and clearly was unhappy because they're very old school and the thought of their daughter losing her V before marriage is unacceptable. I'm no parent but I can understand that won't make them happy. That turned out to be the main reason they didn't want her visiting.
    The part that really angers/ saddens me is all the stuff they were saying about me. They began to tell her I'm probably cheating the whole time, I'm in it for sex, she can find a better boy, that they'd attack me if they saw me. Yes I get it. No parent can handle their baby growing up but you don't disrespect that way. I made sure to maintain a solid bond with them and they just spit on it cause of sex.
    So after all this I began to feel stuck. I still do. They threatened her and told her if she stays with me they'll kick her out. I think they can be very vindictive and immature.
    I didn't want my gf stuck in between but unfortunately it's to a point where she basically has to choose between her current situation or being physically closer to me because I can't take this. I felt like in her own way because she didn't put her foot down, that she's choosing them. She denies it. I know we're young and not ready to get a house together or anything but at the very least she should transfer to a university where we can be closer. She even agreed on that but always seems iffy.
    I basically broke it off with her out of the madness of her parents. I'm still in love with her but I feel stuck. I don't want to be that bf hated by the family with dirt thrown on me especially from a distance like if we were closer it'd be way more worth the suffering , but I don't want to lose her. It's only been 3 days and I miss her terribly. Really can't picture life without her. Any advice on if and how we can have a successful fresh start? Sorry for the length.

wow..
    Well, she is in their house so it is their rules... they can kick her out if they wish. Will they though? That's hard to say. I think that name calling and telling lies about the you is totally wrong and immature.
    She is over 18 so she is a legal adult.
    My son and his GF did the same thing basically. His gf typed out a letter after she lost hers to my son. Her mom found it and went nuts. She was just 16 though so a little different in some ways. Mom did break them up.

If her parents are stuck on that, you may not be able to change their minds right now. You could promise to not touch her ( but we know what hormones do). You also do not ever say how serious you are. You aren't ready to get a house or anything like that yet, so why would she just up and leave closer to you??

Is she feeling the same way as you? Does she want a relationship or is she out of it? Think how she must feel. Her parents mad and threating to kick her out, and her BF mad wanting her to choose him.

I think going off to school will be the best thing for her to do..

Comment

Sasad- Personally i believe it's possible but not probable. It is a scare tactic to get her to leave me. She's kinda in the same boat as me she says. She feels stuck but she does want to make a change and be together. I really feel school is our only hope of being closer because you're right as long as it's their house, they'll feel everything they're doing is ok. They trying to get her to view me in such a bad light and I'm defenseless not physically being there

Comment

I'd gladly go to LA if I had some type of connection out there but I don't. Where as she has friends and family in my state which is why going to school here is a reasonable compromise

Comment

She doesn't have to move where you are. She just has to move out from her parents'house for her to have more freedom.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by Anomalous1 View Post
            I'd gladly go to LA if I had some type of connection out there but I don't. Where as she has friends and family in my state which is why going to school here is a reasonable compromise
            Sounds like a better solution for sure. Especially if she does have family in the area. Who is paying her school? Have her parents made any kind of threats about not paying if they are?

Unfortunately you can't change how they feel right now. I would suggest keeping your cool like you have been, and continue to be respectful to them and your GF... Be the bigger and better person...it will work out in the long run.

Comment

It's sorta a split between payments for her school. And yes I'm fully aware I'm not changing her parents' mind, that's why I didn't bother trying. I want to be with her but not under overbearing parents ' roof

Comment

I just want to say I relate to this, except I haven't told my parents and keep everything secret, and I'm 28. It's really unfortunate when stuff like this happens because I always think how would the parents feel if someone had tried to break them up during that stage of their relationship? I just don't understand it. I hope you find a way, transferring university seems good.

Comment

Exactly. I never expected that two grown people can be so insensitive and low. I hate to say it but her parents don't come off as decent human beings at all. I met them, respected them and their daughter. Yet they act this way. Not trying to play victim but geez

Comment

Originally posted by Anomalous1 View Post
                    Exactly. I never expected that two grown people can be so insensitive and low. I hate to say it but her parents don't come off as decent human beings at all. I met them, respected them and their daughter. Yet they act this way. Not trying to play victim but geez
                    Not trying to play victim? You say her parents are not decent, yet you break up with her for being a young woman who depends on her parents. You seem to have little regard for that this might be difficult for her.
                    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

why would I post this if I have little or even bother to want to get on track if I had no regard? Of course I have regard. Probably made a heated mistake. However, just because her parents no she's dependent doesn't justify much.

Comment

It sounds like she was stuck trying to make everyone happy and in order to do that, wasn't completely honest with anyone. You can never make everyone happy but I'm sure she was miserable because the two sides puling at her were her parents and you.

Parents can handle their babies growing up. My oldest turns 21 today. I have two girls. We've always been close. They've talked to me about everything - including losing their virginity. It all depends on the parents and their stance on things. Not all parents are as understanding. The fact that she lives with them does allow them to put the rules in place. Would they really disown her? Doubtful but possible. So while she is dependent on them, it's going to be their rules. She has the options to listen to them, stand up to them and deal with any possible aftermath, or strike out on her own.

As far as having parents that don't like you - that can happen in any relationship. That family does have a large role to play in your SO's life and therefore, yours also. My mother hated my ex and she was dead on. My parents love my current SO. I'm 45 and they still voice their opinions. My SO's parents passed away a long time ago, but he has kids and that can be just as complicated, if not worse than parents.

You may have to strike this particular relationship as a learning experience and move forward with your life.
                        To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

That was well said thanks. I feel like I either should learn from it and move on but my feelings for her are still there. And I just keep the hope and image of what we could grow and become because when we're physically together it's awesome. Not saying it's not awesome besides that but imagine it regularly in the future. You know?

Comment

If she moves closer to you, and you all stay together, it may end up being a bit better in the long run. They may see you weren't just using her for sex (in their heads).
                            It is hard as a parent, but it s never an excuse to be disrespectful to anyone. I have had issues with my sons GF's, but that was something HE had to work out. I just support my kids as best I can.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

How is Your own situation? Are you also free to move to be With her? What role does Your own parents play in Your life, would you drop a gf if they asked you to?

Comment

Working...
                              X