2 Visits, 1 Engagement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Visits, 1 Engagement

Well, it's been a wild month. Two visits and one immigration attorney later, I'm happy to say that we're engaged and working on closing the distance!

I don't know anybody else (outside of these forums) who had an international online relationship for 7 months that led to an engagement. But for us, we've been exclusive since the first week and we've always known this was our path.

First visit - we met in San Jose Costa Rica in advance of a class I was taking there. I flew an overnight with three-hour layover so I would arrive before her plane got in. I was waiting near baggage claim for her flight, when she stepped into the room and immediately walked up to kiss me. for us, it was everything we always dreamed, picking up in person right where we had left off online. it was a bit surreal for the first day and a half, and I remember being amazed that we were together, soaking in everything from her small wrist tattoo to the way the light dances off her face as we wake up. It was a once in a lifetime trip for us..dinner dates, nature tours, and so much time together. we were inseparable.

Engagement - while in Costa Rica, we woke up on new year's eve to tour a volcano. I told her that we had a surprise afterwards, so after returning to the hotel to freshen up, we took a taxi to a nice community garden where I had a local photographer waiting. we took a little walk while he was setting up his equipment, took a seat on a bench, and I proposed to her. the photographer had followed us, so he caught every reaction. it was a beautiful day (she said yes), and we ended it with a nice dinner that night that we'll remember forever.

Second visit - after she left Costa Rica, I remained behind for my class. her birthday took place midweek, and I was saddened to hear that she normally doesn't receive gifts. So I flew myself to her home city (only two hours away) to visit her over the next weekend. I was able to meet my future in-laws, resize the ring, and spend time with her siblings. once again, everything felt right.

I've since returned to the states and we hired an immigration attorney to help us get through the k1 process without errors. The waiting is really tough, especially on my fiance and my mom, but everybody on this forum knows what that's like. I'm hoping she can move here in time to enjoy the end of summer/start of fall, but however long it takes, at least we share the promise of a life together. I'm planning to visit her again over holy week.

Thank you all for the resources and stories on this forum. I know some people might be shocked by the speed and distance of our engagement. But I know our marriage will be wonderful, and it's meant to last.

Last edited by spanglishjoe; January 20, 2016, 04:20 PM.
    ** Met on OKC 6/8/15 ** 1st Visit & Engagement: 1/30/15 (San Jose, Costa Rica) ** 2nd Visit: 1/8/16 (San Pedro Sula, Honduras) ** i129f NOA1: 2/22/16 ** 3rd Visit: 3/19/16 (San Pedro Sula/Puerto Cortes, Honduras) ** i129f RFE: 5/6/16 ** NOA2 Approved 6/2/16 ** 4th Visit: 7/1/16 (Tela, Honduras) ** K1 Visa Interview Approved 7/18/16 ** K1 Visa Received 7/27/16 ** Closed The Distance: 8/16/16 ** Married 9/24/16 ** Greencard Application In progress **

Congratulations, what a gorgeous idea with the photographer.

Comment

Congratulations! That's such a cute story and I love the pictures!

Comment

Congratulations! Beautiful pictures!!
        To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Wow congratulations! You have lovely pictures! I wish you both the best

Comment

Aw, congratulations!!!! You two look adorable in those pictures!!!!

Comment

Congratulations!
              ~~~ ~~~

First Met Online: March 13, 2014
              Relationship Began: November 23, 2014
              First Met In Person: June 10-24, 2015
              Second Visit: December 16- January 6, 2015/2016
              Closed The Distance: June 26, 2016
              Got Engaged: February 1, 2018

Comment

Congratulations! Such lovely photos and best of luck that you can close the distance soon

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                  X