Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Calm Your Nerves

Hello Everyone!

So I have been on here a while, and have not found any relevant information on how to calm your nerves when you first meet your SO. I put it on this board, since there is a tad bit more traffic and would likely be seen more than under "First Meet/Visit".

How do you all calm your nerves? This can be in general or even with meeting your SO.

I am seeing my SO for the first time in three years, and my stomach is literally in knots...I am bloated like crazy and this is definitely not how I envisioned myself when first meeting him. Granted the situation right now is not quite ideal (stuck in a wheelchair), BUT, I am making due and rolling with it (pun intended).

Please feel free to share with me your stories or tricks or tips, I would love to hear from all of you!

Best,

Z
    BEST FRIENDS SINCE: 10/03/2012
    FIRST MEET: 02/10/2016 to 02/15/2016
    SECOND VISIT: 03/30/2016

I don't think there is a way to not be nervous about it at all. It's something you've been looking forward to for a very long time so being somewhat nervous is only natural.

When I first met my OH I was nervous, worried about impressions, et cetera but as soon as I met him and we talked face to face for a little while all was fine. Pretty sure he felt the same too.

I'm sure your SO will be equally nervous about meeting you for the first time, just wait and see and, most of all, enjoy.

Comment

My stomach was in a field of butterflies when I was finally to see my boyfriend for the first time. It was kinda silly because he kept driving past my Grandma's house but when he actually come from the car, I felt totally stunned. We hugged and sat together on the couch and cuddled and soon enough those nervous feelings sort of melted away...
      It happened again when he flew up here for Thanksgiving. Seeing him at the airport gave me so many butterflies and just like the first time, after a few hours it felt so natural with him again..
      I think a few hours or so into the meet, it'll feel like you're just at home. I hope everything goes well with you two!! <3

Comment

I was so nervous I was on autopilot.
        Tam used to wear this one pair of red pants all the time, and was often in a grey sweater, so when I watched people walk out of the gates at the airport, I saw like 3 people in clothes like that, and freaked out cause the first two didn't look like she did in the Skype calls. Luckily it took two seconds to realize they weren't her!
        When she came out she looked exactly like all the pics she sent, and I was a little less nervous. When she walked up to me I hugged her real tight, and I swear the first things I said were "You ARE tall!" and "Your voice sounds different when it's not through speakers!...In a good way!"

It took like two days for the nerves to go away lol
        Met: Apr 2013
        Mutual interest: July 2013
        Relationship Began: November 6 2013
        First Visit (Her to Me): July 4 2014
        Second Visit (Me to Her): Jan/Feb 2015 Postponed due to sister having baby
        Second Visit! (Her to Me again): June 16 2015 - July 4 2015
        Engaged: June 29 2015 <3
        Third Visit: (Her to me, working on it) January 19 2016 - February 2 2016

Comment

I wasn't nervous meeting my SO for the first time. It was such a long time coming about that I just wanted to get there. When my daughter was meeting her (ex)SO for the first time, she was very nervous. I went to the airport with her to pick him up. I kept reminding her that this is the exact same person that you spend so much time with on the phone/Skype/text and so stop putting so much pressure on yourself about it. As soon as she saw him, they were fine.
          To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwessie View Post
            Tam used to wear this one pair of red pants all the time, and was often in a grey sweater, so when I watched people walk out of the gates at the airport, I saw like 3 people in clothes like that, and freaked out cause the first two didn't look like she did in the Skype calls. Luckily it took two seconds to realize they weren't her!
            When she came out she looked exactly like all the pics she sent, and I was a little less nervous. When she walked up to me I hugged her real tight, and I swear the first things I said were "You ARE tall!" and "Your voice sounds different when it's not through speakers!...In a good way!"

That is so funny! The first thing I said to my man was "You are SO skinny!"

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
            Married: 1/24/2015
            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

When I first met my SO I hadn't slept for 3 days straight. I was so nervous the day before I left I couldn't sleep. I couldn't sleep on the flight or the bus. I was so tired for most of the trip because of it. When I was waiting for him to pick me up from the bus stop I was so nervous. What if he didn't like me like he did when we skyped? All sorts of what ifs! But when I saw him that first time I was crazy nervous and then he smiled at me and I fell in love all over again. I think it really took about a day, maybe two for the nerves to wear off. Then it just felt like a dream the whole time. Still feels a bit like that when I go to visit. It's a dream because it's so good when we are together. Nothing can really help you will be how you are until you meet. Then when you have met you'll calm down At least thats how it was for me.
              Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
              All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwessie View Post

I haven't met my current SO yet, but when i met my ex SO the first thing i said to her after hugging her was "oh wow you really are tiny!" It was hilarious but i felt a bit of an idiot for that being the first thing i said to her haha :3
                my girls <3

Josie (SO)
                Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
                Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
                Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
                Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
                Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
                Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
                Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
                All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

Booze.

Comment

I was so nervous when I met my SO for the first time. The last hour on the plane, it finally hit me and I was thinking, "Oh my gosh! This is really happening!!" I was really anxious and getting butterflies while in customs. I wasn't sure how long it would be until I could see him. When I walked out of customs and quarantine, I noticed the airport was packed with people and I didn't know where he would be, so I just started walking straight. I think we both noticed each other at the same time, and I kind of ran up to him while carrying my luggage. We just embraced each other for a few minutes while trying not to cry. His mum videotaped us meeting for the first time so we're able to have that moment forever. The first thing he said to me was, "You're shorter than I thought!" It was kind of funny because I didn't even hear it, but I guess he said it when it was recording.

Just try to take some deep breaths, that can help calm you down a little. I hope your meeting is magical and it's everything you've ever dreamed of! Good luck! xx

Comment

Hello Everyone!

Well my SO is sitting in the airport on his way back home. Our week was filled with spending so much time with one another, that I instantly got accustomed to how we would be later on in our future!

When I first saw him, he pulled up to my house, and started wandering off down the block to a different house before I was able to shout from the door where I was. I will admit, I totally creeped on him from my window when he got out of the car, before going out to meet him. I remember just giving him this gigantic hug when we were finally face to face, and all those nerves disappeared. It was likely I have known him, physically, for as long as we have been talking, which is three years. Everything washed away instantly, and I happily got in the car, wheelchair and all, onward towards our hotel.
                      BEST FRIENDS SINCE: 10/03/2012
                      FIRST MEET: 02/10/2016 to 02/15/2016
                      SECOND VISIT: 03/30/2016

Comment

Working...
                      X