Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why and how do you use LovingFromADistance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why and how do you use LovingFromADistance?

Hey everyone,

I'm new on LovingFromADistance. I am doing a research in the field of digital anthropology. As I am in a long distance relationship myself, I want to focus on online behaviour of LDR couples. I'm interested in reasons and motives for the use of consultation websites like LovingFromADistance.
    Let me first introduce myself so we can talk on eye level - I don't want to be a lurker.
    I'm from Germany and my SO is from Rwanda. We first met in July 2014 and met three times since then. I was looking for technical advice for LDR couples coz skype wouldn't work for us most of the time. That's how I found LovingFromADistance.
    I would like to know how you all came to LovingFromADistance and how you benefit from the website. You can simply narrate your experience or use the following questions as an orientation. I'm very grateful for your answers!

How did you first find Lovingfromadistance?
    Why do you visit Lovingfromadistance?
    Was there a certain incident that made you look for relationship advice online?
    Which aspects of your relationship have been influenced by the contents of Lovingfromadistance?
    Which other love guides or sources for advice do you use (online or offline)?
    Do you produce content on your own (Love letter gallery, A day in the life...)?
    How do you tell your story or show pictures of your LDR on social media?

A google search when I was at my lowest of lows brought me here.

When I first started on LFAD, I didn't know anyone else in a LDR. It was so nice to have people understand what I was going through. Now, I enjoy the community here and being able to help newbies with their LDR journey.

I didn't look for advice, I just wanted to talk to someone about how shitty I was feeling that day. I felt like no one understood, so that's why I looked for the site.

Which aspects of your relationship have been influenced by the contents of Lovingfromadistance?
    I feel like LFAD really helped me find my rhythm within a LDR. I joined after I was already LD, but I didn't know a lot of the coping mechanisms that I learned here. It really helped shape how we do LD and to be able to appreciate how being in a LDR has shaped my life and our relationship for the better.

I tend to only use my friends and family for advice. I trust their reasoning and that they have my best interests at heart. However, it's been nice knowing people through LFAD that just "get it" and are able to instantly relate.

Nope.

I really don't. I consider myself a pretty private person as far as social media goes (which is funny because I basically spill my heart out on LFAD). We very rarely post any pictures or anything like that on facebook or other social media, so I would say that I tell my story more in person than online.

Comment

Google search for advice sites when I was with my ex-SO, but been coming back ever since on and off.

Habit? lol. I like reading the forums, hearing people's stories, see advice given and give others advice. Met some nice people here too, and we have a Penpal excursion ongoing between some members.

There have been times in the past when I've needed advice.

Hmm, good question. I think some of the advice I've seen and received here has had some influence on me.

I don't really use any other guides, parents help me somewhat and the occasional friend's advice. That's it though.

No.

I don't. Practically no one on my Facebook knows I'm in an LDR, but I might change that in coming months little by little. Asides from here, few know the truth. I'm a very private, aloof person and prefer to keep that.

Comment

I watched a long distance couple on youtube and they bought LKND bracelets and left a link tot he website saying it was a really good site and stuff, and the rest is history.

I like being part of a community and there are some lovely people on here. Honestly i just like reading about other peoples lives as mine is incredibly boring, and of course talking to people in the same situation as me.

Not really, I was just part of the forum and have never used it for advice, i just like to start conversations.

I've seen some advice i've applied to my relationship but that's all really, this is something i just like to do it doesn't really affect my relationship.

I only recently discovered LDR magazine and they have cute printable stuff and some interesting articles so i've used them i guess.

Not really.

No one on facebook knows anything really apart form that i'm in a relationship and that i'm going to met her in June. On tumblr I have a page on my blog dedicated to my SO, so people can see her blog and stuff, and we have a blog together on tumblr just for us to share something and show what our relationship is like through our posts. tumblr is about the only social media i do though so yup.
        my girls <3

Josie (SO)
        Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
        Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
        Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
        Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
        Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
        Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
        Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
        All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

A Google search for a list of things to do while in an LDR. I found the forums later by chance.

Why do you visit Lovingfromadistance?*
          Friends and family don't understand how being in an LDR affects you and the impact on your life. It's nice to have company.

Was there a certain incident that made you look for relationship advice online?*
          Nope, just curious how exactly others made long distance work for them.

Which aspects of your relationship have been influenced by the contents of Lovingfromadistance?*
          Gives me a place to vent and it helped get me pointed in the right direction when we started to think about the big move. The effect on him is indirect and I rarely talk about the site with him.

Which other love guides or sources for advice do you use (online or offline)?*
          None.

Do you produce content on your own (Love letter gallery, A day in the life...)?*
          Nope.

I don't. It's exhausting explaining my relationship to others and I never felt the need to proclaim it. We did have each other in our Facebook relationship status, but we both eventually quit Facebook almost entirely.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

I did a Google search looking for gift ideas for LDR’s

I like being able to help out if I can and other parts of the site where you can just post how you feel or play games, etc.

I wasn’t looking for advice. I’ve been in LDR’s before an LDR was even considered a “thing”, so being in an LDR was normal for me.

Some of the gift ideas, such as Open When Letters, I’ve actually done. I’ve also seen people struggling who live in different countries and all they have to do just do visit and it makes me appreciate my relationship even more.

None really. I talk to my friends which I would also do in a CD relationship

Nope

My family & friends on IRL & on FB know about my relationship and that we live in different states. There are plenty of pictures of me and my SO from his visit here and all my visits there. My family has met him and some of my friends as well. Nobody really sees it as unusual or any big thing that we live 1,000 miles apart.
            To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

A google search for long distance relationships.
              I visit because people here understand. I like the community. I like reading other peoples stories and hearing how they are doing. It's nice when there are some regulars that post about how things are going with them and I like to check up and see how they are doing too.
              I was looking for somewhere to go that other people understood. It wasn't so much advice but support I was after.
              People on here give advice from diffirarent POV which is great.
              I don't.
              Not sure what that means, so probably not.
              I am a really private person on social media. I am the type of person that will communicate more on a one to one bases with people about what is going on with me. The only thing I do share on social media is photographs from visits.
              Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
              All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

I think I was looking for quotes and pictures that had to do with being in an LDR, and being in a relationship in general, and stumbled upon the site. Also, I was looking on Pinterest on how to do Open When Letters. Then I found saw the forum and saw that people were actually active on it and joined.

At first, it was for advice. Now, it's to give advice and make new friends...which I've done.

Yes and no. At the time I joined, we were going through a rough patch. I noticed he kind of changed when he started his new job.

It helped me realize I wasn't the only going through certain things, so pretty much all aspects.

Friends mostly. And, a few books about PTSD, Love Languages, PTSD support sites, other relationship sites.

Nope.

Facebook and this site. But, I don't post much about it any more since we're on a break.

Comment

I can't actually remember but I think it was from a google search of 'long distance relationships'. I had started talking to my SO and we'd decided to try and make a relationship work but I was sceptical about the distance to begin with so I wanted to read other people's stories.

Mostly out of boredom and a desire to be with others in the same situation to be honest. LDR's can be lonely, I have a young daughter so can't get out much so the internet is my social life!

Like I said, reassurance at the start of our relationship.

Visa advice mainly and reminder that people do make it.

Friends in real life.

Nope

We met on a forum so that place has really been the main place we've told our story as it's where our mutual online friends are. My SO doesn't really do social media and I recently deleted my main FB account so there isn't much on there.

Comment

I was looking at tips for long distance relationships. At the time, I was with my SO and I was looking on ways to cope after a visit.

Coming here helps remind me that I'm not alone. Long distance is hard, and sometimes it's just nice to see that other people are in the same boat as me. I also like to give advice to those who are looking for it.

I've been in my ldr for quite awhile now, but at the time I just wasn't sure how I was going recover after visiting my SO.

A bunch of things. I get cute gift ideas, I get other perspectives on ldr's, and I've gotten a lot of insight about visas and the visa process.

Mainly family and friends. Sometime's I'll look at blogs.

No

On Facebook, I have mostly close friends and family (both his family and mine). So they already know about the situation. I'll post pictures of us occasionally, but I don't go crazy with it. I don't really talk about my relationship unless someone asks about it.

Comment

1. How did you first find Lovingfromadistance?
                      I was looking for support from people in similar(or semi-similar) situations.

2. Why do you visit Lovingfromadistance?
                      I like to read about how the relationships of other members are progressing. Because, The notion of 'loving from a distance' is not as shunned, as it once was.

3. Was there a certain incident that made you look for relationship advice online?
                      I was in a long distance relationship with a woman. Who I loved dearly. But communication was becoming a problem. Where I wouldn't hear from her for weeks

4. Which aspects of your relationship have been influenced by the contents of Lovingfromadistance?
                      Advice on how others cope sometimes.

5. Which other love guides or sources for advice do you use (online or offline)?
                      Just this website. Because, This type of relationship is still shunned in the public as being too hard. So, Getting support elsewhere is hard to find.

6. Do you produce content on your own (Love letter gallery, A day in the life...)?
                      Nope

7. How do you tell your story or show pictures of your LDR on social media?
                      I keep it off of social media. So it doesn't become fodder for unrelenting criticism.

First Visit: September 2016
                      Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
                      Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
                      For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
                      John 4:12
                      I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

Working...
                      X