Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USA to UK visits, border control.

Hello helpful peeps.

I just wanted to hear of experiences USA citizens had when visiting UK for the first time, is it similar to when UK citizens visits USA? I was questioned by a very grumpy immigration officer and it was pretty scary.

Are there documents my SO might need when visiting or will a return ticket be enough? Is it better to say he is visiting a friend rather than his girlfriend?

I just want to be fully prepared and advise SO what to expect when he finally visits. It's been such a long time coming if he got turned away at customs I think my heart would break.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Unicorn26 View Post
    Hello helpful peeps.

I just wanted to hear of experiences USA citizens had when visiting UK for the first time, is it similar to when UK citizens visits USA? I was questioned by a very grumpy immigration officer and it was pretty scary.

Are there documents my SO might need when visiting or will a return ticket be enough? Is it better to say he is visiting a friend rather than his girlfriend?

I just want to be fully prepared and advise SO what to expect when he finally visits. It's been such a long time coming if he got turned away at customs I think my heart would break.

Thanks in advance
    In this day n' age of terrorism. Border security is much tighter. Than it was, before 9/11.

When I flew between London(where my mother, younger brother n' I, were living at the time) and Washington, D.C., in the latter part of the 1970's. Border security is nothing like it is today.

Your concern about customs, may be a valid one. Despite the heightened vigilance to prevent terrorism. I don't think customs officials are going to make someone turn right around and go back. From whence they came.

First Visit: September 2016
    Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
    Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
    John 4:12
    I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

I haven't been over to the UK but my daughter has. When she went through customs, she just said she was there on vacation and had her return ticket with her. That was it and she was through.
      To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris516 View Post

Your concern about customs, may be a valid one. Despite the heightened vigilance to prevent terrorism. I don't think customs officials are going to make someone turn right around and go back. From whence they came.
        They can, and they do. It happens.

I was travelling alone when I went to USA to visit SO and I got put into a line with a load of other single travellers. There were two guys in front of me and they both got pulled aside for further questioning. I was grilled, but I must look innocent as they let me through without any further questioning. I did have proof of employment, mortgage payments, proof that I had children back in the UK etc... He doesn't have kids or a mortgage, he stares a house with his mother and has a casual job so I'm making sure we are fully prepared for every eventuality.

This is way too important to us to just wing it and hope for the best. We need to make sure we've done everything possible to ensure he gets through without any issues.

FYI this is an immigration issue not a terrorist issue. If customs don't think you're gonna go back, they have every right to refuse entry. We need to ensure we do everything we can to prove he's going back. Sometimes a return ticket isn't enough...
        Last edited by Unicorn26; February 24, 2016, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R&R View Post
          I haven't been over to the UK but my daughter has. When she went through customs, she just said she was there on vacation and had her return ticket with her. That was it and she was through.
          Thank you, was she travelling alone?

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn26 View Post
            Thank you, was she travelling alone?
            She was with her grandparents. She's been to Canada quite many times as well and she never seems to have any issues. Maybe she just has that innocent face.....
            To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by R&R View Post
              She was with her grandparents. She's been to Canada quite many times as well and she never seems to have any issues. Maybe she just has that innocent face.....
              Ah ok thanks. Yes family groups seem to get through no problems at all. I'm just a bit concerned as he will be travelling alone.

Comment

I know of people who have been turned away from the UK. The UK border staff have a reputation of being utter b**tards. Not to panic you but I would make sure he has some evidence of ties to the USA with him. Job, houses etc anything that show he needs to go back.

Edit. Sorry just read the bit about living with his mom, temporary job etc. Could he still get a letter to show he has work waiting back home?

Also, where's he flying into? Everyone I have known have had a worse time at Heathrow than anywhere else. If he can fly into one of the smaller airports somehow or even fly into the EU first he may have a smoother time.
                Last edited by 80anthea; February 24, 2016, 09:52 AM.

Comment

While I've never flown into the UK, I've flown into Europe 5 times within the past 4 years, and I've only ever been questioned twice by immigration officers.
                  The first time was by an immigration officer in Frankfurt who had a really bad attitude and didn't like me, for whatever reason. He asked me what I was doing in his country I was honest and told him I was visiting my BF. He rolled his eyes at me, but stamped my passport in the end.

The second time I was questioned was last year when I flew into Oslo. The officer was a lot nicer, but she also asked why I was visiting Europe. I got nervous and lied, telling her I was visiting 'friends' in Germany. She let me through, though, no other questions asked.

I never had any documents with me on hand throughout my trips. It's never been an issue for me and I travel to Europe at least once a year. Is this your SO's first time visiting Europe? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about border control. Either way, though, he should bring some documents just in case.
                  Don't worry, it'll all be ok

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                    I know of people who have been turned away from the UK. The UK border staff have a reputation of being utter b**tards. Not to panic you but I would make sure he has some evidence of ties to the USA with him. Job, houses etc anything that show he needs to go back.

Edit. Sorry just read the bit about living with his mom, temporary job etc. Could he still get a letter to show he has work waiting back home?

Also, where's he flying into? Everyone I have known have had a worse time at Heathrow than anywhere else. If he can fly into one of the smaller airports somehow or even fly into the EU first he may have a smoother time.
                    He will probably be flying to Heathrow seeing as that's where a majority of the direct flights from Chicago seem to fly to.

I'm sure he could get a letter from his employer, he's just got his union card too so he's a union registered carpenter in Chicago. That's valid from yesterday so hopefully that should be something he could use? They cost $500 so I'm hoping immigration will realise he's not staying.

Comment

My US friend studying in the UK had her boyfriend visit a couple of weeks ago (his first time to the UK and travelling alone as a tourist) and he had no trouble whatsoever landing in Heathrow. I think as long as your SO has a return ticket, a valid passport and doesn't own a membership card to ISIS he should be fine. Although, the letter could be useful just as an extra precaution if it will make you both feel more reassured.

I think border control look on Americans quite favourably, even with border control worries of the current and last government. They're more worried about other *cough* nationalities, which border control choose to stop and question.

Also, what reinforces my view he should be fine if he has a return ticket is my US friend was not allowed to go from the UK to Italy without buying a return flight (which she found out on the day of her flight at the airport). She had a student residence card, but that wasn't enough. However, once she bought it, things were fine as it proved she was leaving by a set date.

P.S. I was also going to suggest you can offer yourself to border control as a guarantor to him leaving the country worst comes to worst, but not sure if that's even a thing, or if I'm making that up.
                      Last edited by WarwickGuy; February 25, 2016, 05:15 AM. Reason: Wrong words

Comment

Originally posted by WarwickGuy View Post
                        My US friend studying in the UK had her boyfriend visit a couple of weeks ago (his first time to the UK and travelling alone as a tourist) and he had no trouble whatsoever landing in Heathrow. I think as long as your SO has a return ticket, a valid passport and doesn't own a membership card to ISIS he should be fine. Although, the letter could be useful just as an extra precaution if it will make you both feel more reassured.

I think border control look on Americans quite favourably, even with border control worries of the current and last government. They're more worried about other *cough* nationalities, which border control choose to stop and question.

Also, what reinforces my view he should be fine if he has a reverse ticket is my US friend was not allowed to go from the UK to Italy without buying a return flight (which she found out on the day of her flight at the airport). She had a student residence card, but that wasn't enough However, once she bought it, things were fine as it proved she was leaving by a set date.

P.S. I was also going to suggest you can offer yourself to border control as a guarantor to him leaving the country worst comes to worst, but not sure if that's even a thing, or if I'm making that up.
                        Thank you very much, that is most helpful!!

Comment

Working...
                        X