Closing the distance in July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing the distance in July

As of last night, our plans to close the distance have officially been set into motion! I ordered the ticket February 20th, but my boyfriend and I have been waiting for a good time to let his parents know about our plans. So we have not really been able to officially plan anything or start going through the process of getting his belongs and all of that here until he sat his parents down and told them.

As some of you may know, my SO's parents and myself are not exactly on good terms. Due to some snooping on my SO's moms part, his parents found out that my SO and I have been sexually active and a few other things that made them extremely unhappy. Especially with me. Things have been better since my boyfriend got home from his last visit (which his mother was furious about), but I haven't spoken to either of his parents since January. So we weren't really sure how telling them that their son is moving almost 800 miles away to be with a girl they don't like, was going to go.

But it went surprisingly better than we imagined it would. His parents weren't pleased, but there weren't any screaming matches this time. Thank goodness! His parents gave him a lecture on how he was making a mistake, he is young and won't always want to be in a relationship with me, the glittery feeling will wear off.... All of the things that were to be expected. My boyfriend was honest with them and told them that he loves me, I love him, and after being best friends for over two years and in a relationship for almost a year and a half, and spending so much time together in person, that this is what we want for our relationship.

Although we are young, and we will both be newly 18 when he moves in, now is really as good a time as ever for him to move here. I have been renting a room in my brothers house for the last two months, and things have been going really well. There is more than enough space for another person to live in the house, and I feel I am supporting myself well enough finacially right now that I can support another person until he is able to get his GED and a good job here in Michigan.

It's going to be a process to get him here, but I am ready for this. I have been struggling with some depression over the last 6-8 months. Dealing with a lot of stress at work, and pushing through a long distance relationship, and some other things, and my mom told me a few weeks ago when I asked her what she thought of Matt moving in with me while we are so young... That she feels that it is what is best for both of us. She said that seeing my mood improve during his month long stay in December, and seeing how close Matt and I are, she thinks that him moving in will really benefit both of us. It will give us a chance to really and truly get to know each other, as well.

So on goes the countdown! 127 days. I won't deny that I am VERY nervous about him moving in. But I am also extremely excited. It's going to be a big change for us and our relationship, but we both feel that we are ready to take this step.

But anyways..... I just thought I would share what is happening in my LDR world.

Have a great day, everyone.
    ~~~ ~~~

First Met Online: March 13, 2014
    Relationship Began: November 23, 2014
    First Met In Person: June 10-24, 2015
    Second Visit: December 16- January 6, 2015/2016
    Closed The Distance: June 26, 2016
    Got Engaged: February 1, 2018

That's really good news I'm happy he finally told them. I'm also hoping to close the distance in July, visa permitting so we'll be countdown buddies again
    Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
    All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

That's great news! And ignore the negative stuff,nobody should ever have been digging around to find out anything anyway, that's between you and your SO. Good luck.

Comment

That's wonderful. So close! Congratulations

Comment

Yay congratulations! I'm glad things are working out for you guys!! It's wonderful to hear that things are moving forward in your relationship and you're able to close the distance. I know it can be hard with his parents not being supportive, but just remember, do what's best for you and your SO. I look forward to hearing more about how things are going!

xx

Comment

Thanks everyone!
            ~~~ ~~~

Comment

Good luck
              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Congratulations and all the best

Comment

I hope things work out well! All the best with moving forward!!

~
                  It'll take a lot more than words and guns
                  A whole lot more than riches and muscle
                  The hands of the many must join as one
                  And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Happy for you both!!

Comment

Well.... His parents took is WAY better than we ever thought they would. They are now wanting to drive him here themselves the week of our 18 birthdays (end of June). I am not sure how to feel about it. I'm don't particularly want to see his parents again. But they really want to meet my parents, and see where Matt will be living (never mentioned anything about wanting to see me...), so I don't know. We'll see.

On the bright side, I may be seeing him 2-3 weeks earlier than planned.
                      ~~~ ~~~

Comment

Maybe this bodes well for establishing a better relationship with his parents? Ya know, baby steps. You don't need to love them to be civil, and maybe they are getting used to things now.

~

Comment

I sure hope so. And I know it is hurting my boyfriend to see his parents and girlfriend not get along. So for his sake, I am really trying to make things work. It's nice for him to see that his parents are finally attempting to do the same. I think him buying the plane ticket and telling them the way he did, has made them really realize that no matter how much they fight it, he loves me and this is happening.

I know in my heart after all that has happened, I will never have a good relationship with his parents. We are just too different, and his parents are just too opinionated. But I am at least hoping that we can work things out enough where it doesn't hurt my SO anymore. And I really want him to be able to visit his family as much as possible.

I'll post updates once I know for sure what is going on, and when he will be arriving. Thank you for the kind words, everyone.
                          ~~~ ~~~

Comment

Like I said, you don't need to become close with the parents. Reaching a civil level would already be enough, really. I know I'm never gonna get superclose with my SO's parents because our values also differ greatly, but as I got to know them more and they got to know me more, I know that slowly but steadily, we'll solidify a decent relationship. It took them a while to accept me, but they're know willing to try, and that's all I need.

~

Comment

Working...
                            X