Military Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military Question

Hey everyone! Not sure if anyone here knows about these things, but I know a lot of people here are ld across different countries, or have a SO in the military.

Recently found out my SO is considering requesting a short tour to get out of his terrible location, and he would want me to go with him. Do any of you know how it would work for me to accompany him if we are unmarried? If we get legally married, would that make it much easier? I am concerned about being able to stay for a year, as well as things like getting a job and health insurance, so even if you know how I would be able to move to another country for just a year would be helpful. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I know nothing about the military, but this is what google gave me and it seems it might make more sense to you:

Military Spouse Preference in Employment: https://www.militaryonesource.mil/mo...tent_id=267565
    US Immigration Rules for Military Family Members: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ers-46710.html

Pretty sure you can't just follow your military SO around if you are not married - I mean, you can, but the military is not going to help you with that.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

It depends on what service and rank he is... Sometimes you HAVE to live in single quarters if you are under as specific rank.. I think its E5 in the Army. you are required to live on base... So you would have to live off base anyways. The military wont pay a dime to move you or support you at that point, even married. You will need to check first.

Comment

Originally posted by oinkpig329 View Post
        Hey everyone! Not sure if anyone here knows about these things, but I know a lot of people here are ld across different countries, or have a SO in the military.

Recently found out my SO is considering requesting a short tour to get out of his terrible location, and he would want me to go with him. Do any of you know how it would work for me to accompany him if we are unmarried? If we get legally married, would that make it much easier? I am concerned about being able to stay for a year, as well as things like getting a job and health insurance, so even if you know how I would be able to move to another country for just a year would be helpful. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
        Depending on whether he is commissioned or non-commissioned, and if he presently lives on the base. On the base there is the BOQ(Base Officers Quarters) and BEQ(Base Enlisted Quarters). So, Unless he got permission for you to live with him, after you were to get married. You both would have to find a place together off the base. Enlisted personnel don't have the leeway, that a commissioned officer does.

My second-cousin's husband was in the U.S. Army for twenty years. He retired a couple years ago, as a Major. At one point, he was transferred to Germany. After four years, they came back to the U.S.. To the house they have owned for several decades, that is off the base he was last stationed at.

First Visit: September 2016
        Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
        Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
        For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
        John 4:12
        I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

He is an officer, and will be a first lieutenant at the time of the move. The getting married beforehand was a side note, mostly considering moving while not married and how feasible that is. My research thus far is leading me to believe that it's not very feasible at all. Thanks for your help!

Comment

If you're not married you can't actually live with him, unless it's off base. He may get an allowance for housing if he lives off base. But, you are only entitled to live with him on base if you are family, either by marriage or blood. Even being engaged means nothing unless it's official.

Comment

Working...
            X