How to discuss/manage emotions, stress, etc with your SO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to discuss/manage emotions, stress, etc with your SO

Hello all, (My posts tend to be long, sorry! I like to include as much detail as possible so, if it's too much, just skip down to the second post I'll make which gets to my basic questions)

Been a long time since I've come by the LFAD forums. I was in a serious but sadly short-lived LDR some years ago and found my way to this website back then when I needed some reassurance and advice, and I am returning now because of my current LDR - officially 1.5 years strong with someone I've known for about 2.5 years now. We have flown to see each other 8 times now, all within the last 14 months, for a total of about 71 days spent together, more time in total than I spend with my own family really!

This summer we will be making our decision about where to live and finally close the distance! I am excited and have been looking forward to this moment for a long time, but, as this time frame gets closer, I am starting to think back on past disagreements/issues that we've had, which there aren't many of, but they are unresolved, and have me concerned for our future together.

The issues we've had mainly stem from a drastic difference in our preferred strategies and ability for handling emotions and stress. We are on completely opposite ends of the emotional spectrum, and not just opposite, but far apart - if she's a -500 on the scale, then I am at +500 - we aren't even close. To put it simply, whenever something stressful and/or frustrating arises, she tends to let her emotions control her to the point of complete mental breakdowns to tears that ruin the rest of her day/night (even for minuscule little things), whereas for me, big or small, it's all dust in the wind. I won't say I never stress about anything, but I will say that it is extremely rare, and takes something truly overwhelming in combination with several tragedies in order to break me.

My phrase to live by is, "It is what it is," and it's a phrase that, for me, encourages one to accept a situation (whatever it may be) and deal with it as necessary. We can't change the past, and so many things that people cry and stress over, are in the past - why cry and stress about something that can't be changed? Someone stole your lunch? Someone cut you off in traffic? A customer yelled at and embarrassed you at work? My philosophy is that one's energy is better spent dealing with the situation rather than sitting in a corner sulking about it, as sulking yields no beneficial result. If there is any one thing that I admit I have an ego about, it's emotional control lol, but, it's many benefits are not without downsides either, which is why I am here...

Being that we are so far separated on this emotional spectrum, it has made it difficult, if not nearly impossible for us to relate to each other when/if we have our own personal problems. Given the way she reacts to potentially stressful things and the way I react to potentially stressful things (as explained in the paragraph above), these situations are pretty much one-sided with her having the personal problem and me being unable (but trying) to relate or help her. When I do try to help her, it's usually in the form of what I would say is some basic advice and things to try out which may help to avoid/prevent/fix the problem in the future, but it's nearly always met with a negative reaction where she feels like I am judging her, and/or lecturing her as if she's a child (we are both in our mid 20s, and honestly, she does act like a child some times, as i'll explain in an example below)(and I tread EXTREMELY lightly over a floor of egg shells when choosing my words of advice - what actually comes out of my mouth is about 95% filtered from what I'd really like to say already, and yet it still causes a negative reaction). Because this is a common theme in dealing with any issue, I am forced to just sit, listen, and say things like "Uh huh..." "yeah..." "yeah that sucks..." and just endlessly agree with her so as not make the problem worse.

Now, you're probably wondering, what are some examples of things that she gets stressed and has meltdowns over? I'll give a few examples, starting with what I would consider to be the most easily dismissable for the average person our age:
    1) there was a time when she was visiting with her family for dinner, and her parents had recently been spoiling her sister with gifts (big and small) since she was going away to college. My SO, jealous that her sister was getting all these things that she herself never got when she was her age, is crying and having a meltdown over it, "It's not fair!!" and all... All I can think of is, "You're 20 something years old and crying (literally) about not getting presents," in simpler terms, it's basically "I broke a nail" being equated to "I'm literally dying." It's an eye roller for me but the end of the world for her.
    2) we had a date night planned while I was visiting once to go out to this nice restaurant and were having trouble finding a parking space. She was driving (first mistake I know not to allow in the future) and passed a spot right out front to park in but she can't parallel park so, we circled around and kept looking. Well, she immediately became anxious about being unable to find a place. Somehow we ended up on the wrong street, going the wrong direction, she's worried we're going to be late for our reservation, I'm trying to give her directions and she is so overwhelmed that she's on the verge of tears and says to me in a shaky, trying-to-hold-back-the-meltdown voice "At this point, I'd rather just go home." We'd only been driving around for probably less than 5 minutes, and yet the situation had escalated to full-blown end-of-the-world mode, wanting to cancel everything and go home just because we couldn't find parking... We did find parking though, and as we walked to the restaurant, she thanked me for being so calm the entire time while she was nearly screaming and crying, but this event in particular bothered me with how easily she let her emotions take control.
    3) Work stress in general. There is a list of complaints here with her job but the short and sweet of it is that nearly all tasks that her job requires, cause her to be needlessly stressed out, not because the tasks themselves are stressful, but because she makes them stressful. The most basic example of this I can think of would be when she has a stack of things to go through on her desk and she attempts to do multiple things at once - answer emails, make phone calls, organize papers, etc... Some people are good at doing that, but she just isn't, so, when she tries to, she gets overwhelmed. I've attempted to explain how to make a list, prioritizing certain tasks, taking them on one at a time, delegating some to others (if possible), etc but as I've mentioned before, this comes across as lecturing and she doesn't want to hear it. Funny enough, her co-worker can recommend those same things (she told me this on the phone once) and suddenly there is light at the end of the tunnel and she understands it because it came from third party instead of her boyfriend. It's not lecturing in that case apparently...
    I tried to play devil's advocate once and that got me in trouble too. She was complaining about how her bosses don't do anything and pass off all their work to her and make money off the work she does... #1, her official job position is "Assistant ________," so, other people's work getting passed off on to her is sort of part of the job of being an assistant... #2, her bosses making money off of the work she does...uh, yeah, that's kind of the perk of being the boss and the way it is in essentially ALL businesses...
    4) Home stress in general. She lives by herself, has to do her own laundry, clean her own dishes, and clean a house that is only ever dirtied (if at all) by 1 person (herself) (i.e. basic chores that no adult should ever be complaining about). She comes home and has "so much to do" at the end of her day, which in reality is very little compared to the rest of the world. I work full time 40+ hours a week, go to school full time 12+ units, and still make time every night to spend with her, do homework, study, and take care of all my other normal adult responsibilities and I am not at all the busiest person in the world who doesn't complain about it. "It could be worse," probably my 2nd favorite phrase to live by that helps remind me that my life isn't all that bad.

*Extra important detail that may give a reason behind all of this) At one point during our many conversations across the years, she mentioned to me how when she was going grocery shopping once, she got out of her car, starting walking towards the entrance of the store, and then felt so overwhelmed and anxious that she had to turn around, get back in the car and drive home. I came to the immediate conclusion that she must have had some sort of anxiety or panic attack, but I didn't question her about it because she likely would have become upset. I didn't want to ruin the night by asking if she'd ever gone to a doctor about anxiety, but, with what I've seen of how she reacts to everything in her life, the reasonable explanation for it is pointing pretty strongly toward some sort of anxiety disorder...especially after this little story about the grocery store.

(concluded on next post...)
    First met online: October 15th, 2011
    First met in-person: July 13th, 2012

Next meeting: September 21st, 2012

(...continued from above post)

So, given the above information, along with the fact that we want to move in together, eventually have pets, and kids...my concern for our future is twofold:
    1) I'm not sure I am prepared to handle being in the crossfire of her meltdowns for the rest of our lives. I don't want to change her, but I feel that this particular aspect of her life, of her personality, is harmful to her health and her ability to enjoy life, which of course affects me as well since I love and care about her. I don't want to hurt her feelings attempting to talk about this issue and work on resolving it but at the same time I can't sit by any longer and let her let stress destroy her.
    2) that, if she is so easily stressed and broken down under the most simple situations in her already simple life right now, how on earth could she possibly handle something like having pets to take care of? Kids? More financial responsibility that us being together will bring? I just don't see how she will be able to handle it when she already can't handle what her current life deals out to her.

I love her, and want to be with her, but I just don't know how to talk to her about this issue. Something NEEDS to change with how she handles the stress in her life, because, stress is not going to go away, and the way she handles it now (i.e. letting IT handle HER) is simply not healthy. She is quite literally going to die from stress if she continues like this. At this point in our relationship, all I can do is to sit quietly and listen while she vents because she can't restrain her emotion to properly interpret my advice, can't understand my line of thinking and can't comprehend my own methods for dealing with stress.

How do I discuss this with her without completely hurting her feelings? Is it possible? If not, what's the best way to go about this? Thank you ahead of time for any and all comments...

Comment

Wow, that is pretty intense. It almost seems like you are damned if you do and damned if you don't...
      I am the emotional one as well. My SO is the practical, analytical one. He has helped me a ton with dealing with stuff. However, I do sorta get a little frustrated sometimes wehn he says, "Its just stuff"
      Biggest difference is I know what I did, and I have worked hard with him to come up with a compromise.. It does take two to make this work. He has moved toward where I am and I have moved toward where he is. If I start going to the "darkside" as he tells me "stop pushing me away", and I stop what I am doing.
      Now, she seems to take offence when you talk to her for the most part. I would suggest she see someone and try to figure out what is causing her anxiety and issues. Is there a good friend that can talk to her and make suggestions?

Comment

I agree with Sasad, if she won't (or can't) speak to you about these issues, then she should speak to someone else for her own sake. I'm no expert in the area of anxiety, but if her anxiety is affecting her to the point that her life is suffering, then it sounds like she will need professional help if she can't overcome the anxiety on her own, or with SO/family/friend support.

As I was reading your post (before getting onto the 2nd post,) I did wonder about the future, especially children. I'm sure she has the potential to be a great mother, but from hearing friends' own experiences of anxious mothers it could be a deadly mix. Obviously parents worry about children, but if a parent is anxious to the point that every little incident is a huge issue, it could negatively affect the child and as they grow up push them away.

Comment

It is not neccesarily anxitety. It can also be that she is sensitive to stress and gets easily overwealmed by what others perceive as small things.

I have some comments:
          1. Is gifts her love language? Or does her family have a history of treating her sister better than her? That could explain why her sister getting gifts while she didn't feels so upsetting.
          2. does she generally have problems finding directions?
          3. assistant work IS stressful - until you get the hang of it. If she has many different tasks she could also struggle to coordonate and prioritize them all. I found reception work much easier after I started to use earplugs at times.
          4. if she already struggles to work, of course simple tasks in the home can feel like they overwealm her. Anything is hard if you feel like your body is out of fuel. Also, if she gets sensory overloaded easily, going to a small shop versus a big mall could make the difference.

I understand that these things are issues for both of you, but you sound very condecending in the way you put it forth here. No matter what her issues are, you seem to thing that they could be very easily overcome, despite you also describing them as being huge in her life, which for me doesn't really add up.

Of course, before having children and building a life together people should try to better themselves, but right now I am slightly more worried about the potentionally judgemental father, than the potentionally fearful mother. Or, did I misread you and you intended to better yourself before becoming a father, too? You know that her children and yours most likely will show some of the same personality traits as her, right? If she comes around to manage these things in herself, she will become great in guiding your children in ways you may struggle to do. It is sweet that you want to support her, but beware of wanting to "fix" her. Treat her like you would treat any flaw of your own, be understanding and generous. She has to choose to deal.

Here are some links about anxity: https://www.adaa.org/tips-manage-anxiety-and-stress
          sensivity and sensory overload: https://www.marcandangel.com/2015/07...sitive-people/
          and being too logical: https://community.artofmanliness.com...cs/too-logical
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I've seen this several times. I work with someone like this. She has anxiety and needs medication. That will do a world of good. Without it, your life will be a living hell. 50 years with THAT will cause you to go nuts. Trust me. My sister needs to be medicated and gets just like that when she's not. Talk to her about seeing a dr. Good luck.
            sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

I have anxiety like your SO. I was diagnosed about 7 years ago, but I have felt the effects of it for about 25 years. Medication does help with getting the panic under control enough to go out and attend therapy to treat the disorder. I've been on a few different medications and seen a few different therapists. There is hope for things to get much better for her Differentcountries is absolutely right though, about it not being easily overcome just because it seems that way to you or others. Her reactions appear overblown, but a panic disorder creates real, physical effect on the body. It feels like the end of the world, absolutely. And usually, a person who is panicking knows perfectly well that they are being irrational, and wants to "just stop it" - but they can't. They physically CAN NOT, it's like you have no control over your own body. So the added shame, guilt, helplessness, public embarrassment, fear, and anger at themselves for having the episode makes the panic reaction even worse, and things quickly turn into meltdowns over parallel parking.

I tried to write a longer post with better "advice" but it was turning into an epic saga - trying to distill decades of experience into a few paragraphs is harder than I thought! I have had a lot of success with a particular kind of therapy over the past few years that has worked better for me than twenty years of telling myself to "just stop it" and trying to use other people's methods for coping. If you'd like to talk more about it, feel free to give me a PM.

Comment

Thank you all for the comments! Replies below:

Originally posted by sasad View Post
                Wow, that is pretty intense. It almost seems like you are damned if you do and damned if you don't...
                I am the emotional one as well. My SO is the practical, analytical one. He has helped me a ton with dealing with stuff. However, I do sorta get a little frustrated sometimes wehn he says, "Its just stuff"
                Biggest difference is I know what I did, and I have worked hard with him to come up with a compromise.. It does take two to make this work. He has moved toward where I am and I have moved toward where he is. If I start going to the "darkside" as he tells me "stop pushing me away", and I stop what I am doing.
                Now, she seems to take offence when you talk to her for the most part. I would suggest she see someone and try to figure out what is causing her anxiety and issues. Is there a good friend that can talk to her and make suggestions?
                Sasad -

"It's just stuff" is basically what goes through my head, though of course I never say that. It's definitely a damned if I do and damned if I don't situation for me - I can't give advice or my simplest thoughts on a matter because she reacts negatively about it, but at the same time I feel dumb just sitting there listening to her stress about things that, (I feel) with a little effort, and will, and commitment, can be changed. It's like watching someone repeatedly try to PULL a door open when the sign says "Push," but not being aloud to go over there and help them. I can't just sit in silence but that's what I'm forced to do, which, saying nothing also has consequences too, because then it comes across like I must not care about what she's saying. "Yeah," and "uh huh" only gets me so far... *sigh*

Originally posted by WarwickGuy View Post
                I agree with Sasad, if she won't (or can't) speak to you about these issues, then she should speak to someone else for her own sake. I'm no expert in the area of anxiety, but if her anxiety is affecting her to the point that her life is suffering, then it sounds like she will need professional help if she can't overcome the anxiety on her own, or with SO/family/friend support.

As I was reading your post (before getting onto the 2nd post,) I did wonder about the future, especially children. I'm sure she has the potential to be a great mother, but from hearing friends' own experiences of anxious mothers it could be a deadly mix. Obviously parents worry about children, but if a parent is anxious to the point that every little incident is a huge issue, it could negatively affect the child and as they grow up push them away.
                Warwick -

Professional help is likely the next best step, but how to suggest this to her? I expect that there is no easy way to do so... As for parenting, I've seen her around kids and she genuinely loves them, but I can't comment on how well she'd handle actually living with and taking care of them every single day, as that's a vastly different (and more exhausting) experience. I think she'd make a wonderful, caring mother, but, as you mentioned, being overly anxious can be a deadly mix.

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
                  It is not neccesarily anxitety. It can also be that she is sensitive to stress and gets easily overwealmed by what others perceive as small things.

I have some comments:
                  1. Is gifts her love language? Or does her family have a history of treating her sister better than her? That could explain why her sister getting gifts while she didn't feels so upsetting.
                  2. does she generally have problems finding directions?
                  3. assistant work IS stressful - until you get the hang of it. If she has many different tasks she could also struggle to coordonate and prioritize them all. I found reception work much easier after I started to use earplugs at times.
                  4. if she already struggles to work, of course simple tasks in the home can feel like they overwealm her. Anything is hard if you feel like your body is out of fuel. Also, if she gets sensory overloaded easily, going to a small shop versus a big mall could make the difference.

I understand that these things are issues for both of you, but you sound very condecending in the way you put it forth here. No matter what her issues are, you seem to thing that they could be very easily overcome, despite you also describing them as being huge in her life, which for me doesn't really add up.

Of course, before having children and building a life together people should try to better themselves, but right now I am slightly more worried about the potentionally judgemental father, than the potentionally fearful mother. Or, did I misread you and you intended to better yourself before becoming a father, too? You know that her children and yours most likely will show some of the same personality traits as her, right? If she comes around to manage these things in herself, she will become great in guiding your children in ways you may struggle to do. It is sweet that you want to support her, but beware of wanting to "fix" her. Treat her like you would treat any flaw of your own, be understanding and generous. She has to choose to deal.

Here are some links about anxity: https://www.adaa.org/tips-manage-anxiety-and-stress
                  sensivity and sensory overload: https://www.marcandangel.com/2015/07...sitive-people/
                  and being too logical: https://community.artofmanliness.com...cs/too-logical
                  differentcountries -

Thank you for your reply. I'd like to address your 4 comments first, which, I will just preface by saying that context is everything in those situations. I tried to be as detailed as possible in my original post but of course, there are additional details I could have included to provide even more clarity.

So, #1 regarding presents - My SO is the oldest of 3, with a brother just a couple years younger than her, and her sister being 8 years younger, so, it's not a situation of favorites among her parents as my SO was already moving out and beginning her journey through adulthood while her sister still believed in Santa Claus. Her parents financial situation back then was also very different than it is now. When my SO was growing up, they weren't able to spoil everyone so much, but now, they are more established and responsible, and thus able to provide more to their last child still living at home. Regardless, my SO prefers to cry, and stress and complain first, without considering the context and/or reality. Everyone is different, but the moment I got a job (a paper route, when I was 12 or 13 I think) was the same moment I was now expected to start giving more and receiving less. I stopped caring pretty early on about presents and was always incredibly thankful when I did get any. I won't fault her for having a different upbringing than I did, and I wouldn't fault a 10 year old for crying over not getting presents, but when you're 26+ years old and literally throwing a tantrum over it? It's hard for me to have any sympathy.

#2 regarding directions - Well, after we passed that spot that she would have had to parallel park in, she immediately became anxious, as if the very thought of having to do it (even though no one was forcing her) was beginning to send her into meltdown-mode. I was giving her directions from that point on but, she wasn't listening and/or wasn't hearing because I'd tell her to turn right but she'd go straight instead because she would get impatient waiting for a car in front to turn. This happened several times (which is how we got lost) and she was freaking herself out more and more - a seriously bad snowball effect. I'd give a play-by-play of the ordeal but it basically was just an impossible task for me to direct her. She wanted directions and help from me, but was unable to listen to me and drive at the same time with all that was going on in her head.

#3 regarding her job - I don't doubt that her work can be stressful, but she's been there over a year now, and there are plenty of strategies that can be used to make the work less stressful (many of which that I've tried to help her understand), but she simply hasn't employed. As I've mentioned before, she would rather complain about a situation than do something to change it.

#4 regarding home life - This make sense, and further emphasizes the need to alter how she handles stress at work so that she doesn't come home feeling overwhelmed.

I won't deny the condescending tone of my post, especially since I directly admit early on that this area of emotion she seems to struggle in is the one area for me that I freely have a proud ego about being able to control. Do understand however, that this is not something I am condescending about with her (whenever I AM able to voice an opinion)... I learn pretty quickly to not continue doing something if it isn't working, making things worse, etc... So, for example, the first time I voiced an over-opinionated thought and she reacted badly to it, I made a little mental note to not take that approach again, to not use certain words, certain tones, anything that could be interpreted as accusatory or dismissive, etc... Now however, after repeated incidents and continual adjustments to how I respond to her, I am at the point where (as I mentioned in my original post) whatever comes out of my mouth is about 95% filtered down from what I'm really thinking...100% is silence, which I occasionally have to employ. I want to help, badly, but how can I effectively do that when I can only give 5% of an opinion? 5% of helpful advice? 5% of support?

Would I be a judgemental father? Sure, when it's necessary, I would be, but I'd also be an affectionate, understanding father, when it's necessary - it all depends on the details of the situation and the ages of the people involved. I would not expect an infant, or a child (or even some teenagers) to manage their emotions in the same way my older self has learned to do - not only does it takes years of practice and experience but it's biologically not possible for kids under a certain age to comprehend things around them in a logical and rational manner, as their brains aren't fully developed enough to grasp those concepts. If my 2 year old child is crying and throwing a fit, I'm not going to try and engage them in some step by step process of how we arrived at that point of frustration and then instruct them on a detailed method to avoiding it in the future - of course not. Despite the fact that I've spent enough time taking care of my 3 nephews (all under 4 yrs old at the moment) and other young children to know that one can't expect a child to have the same thought process as an adult, it's really just common sense, in my opinion. With my SO however, naturally, I'd have different expectations, and perhaps if she does have an anxiety issue, my expectations need to be adjusted...

Thank you for the links you provided too, I will check those out!
                  Last edited by Jayburr; April 18, 2016, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TaraMarie View Post
                    I've seen this several times. I work with someone like this. She has anxiety and needs medication. That will do a world of good. Without it, your life will be a living hell. 50 years with THAT will cause you to go nuts. Trust me. My sister needs to be medicated and gets just like that when she's not. Talk to her about seeing a dr. Good luck.
                    TaraMarie,

It may very well come to that, but I'll let a doctor decide how necessary it is. I still just struggle on how to bring this topic up to her...

Originally posted by ChloChlo View Post
                    I have anxiety like your SO. I was diagnosed about 7 years ago, but I have felt the effects of it for about 25 years. Medication does help with getting the panic under control enough to go out and attend therapy to treat the disorder. I've been on a few different medications and seen a few different therapists. There is hope for things to get much better for her Differentcountries is absolutely right though, about it not being easily overcome just because it seems that way to you or others. Her reactions appear overblown, but a panic disorder creates real, physical effect on the body. It feels like the end of the world, absolutely. And usually, a person who is panicking knows perfectly well that they are being irrational, and wants to "just stop it" - but they can't. They physically CAN NOT, it's like you have no control over your own body. So the added shame, guilt, helplessness, public embarrassment, fear, and anger at themselves for having the episode makes the panic reaction even worse, and things quickly turn into meltdowns over parallel parking.

I tried to write a longer post with better "advice" but it was turning into an epic saga - trying to distill decades of experience into a few paragraphs is harder than I thought! I have had a lot of success with a particular kind of therapy over the past few years that has worked better for me than twenty years of telling myself to "just stop it" and trying to use other people's methods for coping. If you'd like to talk more about it, feel free to give me a PM.
                    ChloChlo,

Thank you for your perspective. It is difficult for me to comprehend what she (and others) might experience during those situations of anxiousness - it may very well be impossible to truly understand and just something I need to accept for myself, but as for herself, the stress is damaging to her - physically, mentally - and a constant drain on her quality of life, which will soon be OUR quality of life. I'd definitely be interested to hear more of your advice and the "epic saga" :P

Comment

Working...
                    X