Go Fund Me website for an LDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go Fund Me website for an LDR

I was reading the forums and came across a thread with this title, in the 'Closed The Distance' section. I thought was valid enough for discussion in the LDR section.

Has anyone ever toyed with idea of using a 'Go Fund Me' site for your LDR travelling?

I personally can't stand the site. Because it opens a person up 'emotionally'. To even more scorn and criticism. From those who frown on being in a LDR.

First Visit: September 2016
    Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
    Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
    John 4:12
    I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Usually the only people who are sympathetic to long distance travel expenses are other people in LDR's. And we save every penny to use on our own travels and other long distance expenses.

(just realized we were asked if we wanted to do this): No, my relationship is my responsability. I would not ask other people to fund me and my life.

The clostest experience I have with GoFundMe stuff is what we call "make money roll", which will be if someone's house burns down or they get sick when they are poor or in need of something special, usually there is a goal ammount. But it is almost never done by the person needing the money, that would be considered rude, it is done by a family member, friend or someone sympethetic to the cause. So, if I wanted to raise money I would have to raise money for Moon's LDR, not mine
    Last edited by differentcountries; April 26, 2016, 12:44 PM.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Absolutely not. If I cannot fund my own LDR, I won't be in one. Begging is beneath me.
      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Yup... seriously. We all do what we can to make it work. That's for everything in life. I understand some people don't have jobs ( although no sympathy for those who choose not to work or make excuses). It has nothing to do with being in a ldr. There is not so as much stigmatism as it was in the past. So many military, students and job opportunities have couples separated. That and the use of technology now, makes communication instant for the most part.
        *rant*
        That being said, GoFundMe should not be used for personal gains and people that don't want to get up off their asses and make money to achieve a goal that benefits themselves only.
        *end of rant*

Comment

I've never thought of doing a Go Fund Me thing for myself. I don't know much about those sites, I thought they were for things like... charity type stuff? Like if something terrible happens to you and you need help to cover medical expenses or something. Or for projects that affect lots of people, funding campaigns to change laws? I'm pretty ignorant.

In my province we have a tradition of fundraiser-type parties, called Socials. I have no idea how they started (I'm betting it evolved from humble hoe-down origins), but essentially it's a big party that you put on and charge your friends and family to attend. It costs money to get in the door, and it costs money to drink. In exchange you get fed at midnight, there's a DJ or a live band and dancing, and there are prizes (but of course you must buy the tickets for a chance to win). I always hated the concept of a social because it seems greedy to me, but people here LOVE them. They go CRAZY for the cheap drinks, the dance-party, and a chance to win hockey tickets or a barbeque grill. Socials are a blatant money-grab but at least the people who fund you get something back for it, and you have to put some effort into throwing the party. And people have a good time.

I assume I'll have to host a social one day if/when I get engaged (it's that culturally ingrained, it is expected of everyone who gets married) and that is the closest I'll ever get to a "Go Fund Me".
          Last edited by ChloChlo; April 26, 2016, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't set up a gofundme website for an LDR, it seems wrong to me. Some people in our families have given us money instead of gifts for Christmas/birthdays to put towards flights, visas etc but we didn't ask them to do this, they chose to.

Comment

Nope. Would never donate to that, or ask for myself. I am an oncology nurse and I see people going through bankruptcies to fund their cancer treatments. So - no way.

Comment

Originally posted by ChloChlo View Post
                I've never thought of doing a Go Fund Me thing for myself. I don't know much about those sites, I thought they were for things like... charity type stuff? Like if something terrible happens to you and you need help to cover medical expenses or something. Or for projects that affect lots of people, funding campaigns to change laws? I'm pretty ignorant.
                It does depend on the website (some have particular focuses such as artistic/business projects), but you're correct. The problem is that some people do abuse it and ask for things that take attention away from actual, serious projects and pull on people's emotions to try and gain some funding e.g. all the LDR meetup funds on the website. To be honest, a lot of the 'emotional' stories I've read on the site (some that have already raised thousands of dollars) I think aren't appropriate use of people's money.

No, I wouldn't try and raise funds through that GoFundMe for my LDR meetups.

Comment

Working...
                X