A Tale of Two Families....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Tale of Two Families....

Hello! I know this might sound like a silly situation or question but please hear me out.

My partner and I are both Filipinos. Family is a very, very big thing for both of us. I'm the eldest child in my family. He's not the eldest child but he's the first son. We both have parents trying to get their retirement together and two younger siblings apiece to worry about.

My partner has been overseas for nearly two years now. So he hasn't met my family or had much cause to talk with them at all (apart from my younger sis, only because we were all studying in the same neighborhood once, years ago). On the other hand I have met his siblings and talked online to his mom, and at least his dad is aware of my existence in his son's life. To be fair, it was his siblings who reached out first to talk to me. Sometimes I have had to give my input on medical matters (being a doc in training) when a family member or friend has gotten into a fix. And during a family crisis, my partner asked me to drop by and see what I could do, on his behalf, to help.

It seems like a weird and unequal situation. Should I set limits on how much I interact or deal with his family, at least till he's home? How can I get my partner more involved in my family situation---just so my parents can feel that they won't be losing a daughter but gaining a son?

I dont see why you can't keep in touch with his family, as long as he is aware you are doing that.

If you live with or close by your parents, perhaps next time you are on Skype, they can join you and talk to him too.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

He is very much aware---and appreciates the fact.

My family doesn't seem to approve of that too much though. My sister was pissed that I went to his nephew's wake (granted, we'd only been dating for a month) since it was the first time I'd be meeting the family.

Noted about the Skype call though.

Comment

Working...
      X