UK/ European Couples and Brexit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK/ European Couples and Brexit

I just spent my night shift watching the UK leave the EU, which could have a huge impact of moving around freely between the two. Just wondering if any of you have started talking about what it means for your relationship?

We haven't really talked about it properly yet. We've been together a month today and have yet to meet in person although we hope to do so this year. But yes, I have been thinking about it. Honestly, I think I want to be the one to make the move at this point when it comes to it. I think he has more keeping him in the Netherlands than I do in England. I haven't brought it up though because I don't think it's the time.

Comment

It has played heavily in my head and altered my plans significantly. I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach when I saw it! Of course, it's not all to do with him, I genuinely am devastated.

In terms of talking about what it means for us, I haven't mentioned it at all. I don't wanna bring up the negativity and I'm unsure if he would have even thoought about it because he's not that politically aware. Chances are, it won't be impossible to still move to Europe/vice versa, just more difficult. Where there's a will there's a way. Of course it's the last thing anyone wants when in a LDR - more difficulties. But I suppose we have to work around it and see what is negotiated in the coming months.

Comment

Yeah, one reason why I haven't mentioned it is not bringing up the negativity, another being that we are still at an early stage of the relationship, (Having said that, my SO's best friend did say to me that eventually one of us would have to move to where the other lived when we'd been together literally an hour, but that's another story.) We did have one conversation where he said that if his country ever holds such a referendum he'd vote remain, as I did. Which makes me wonder what the tabloids are on about when they imply that his country is on the brink of exactly that, since he doesn't seem to think it's imminent.

But I think you're right and it won't be impossible, just not as easy as it was - let's face it, if our SOs had been somewhere like the US or Australia, as is the case for some people here, it wouldn't have been as straightforward anyway, and people do make that work. So I think it can be done, and it'll be easier when we have a clearer picture as negotiations go on. And also how the relationship develops, well, for me anyway.

Comment

We've talked about it a day before the referendum and first thing in the morning when results came out the next day cause we both knew how important this result was for us.We are only 17 , been together for a year now.Im from Bulgaria(the country with a significant amount of immigrants in the uk,where he's from).We were mainly worried cause his flight in august is already booked and we didnt know if it will go well after Brexit.But good thing is its gonna take up to 2 years for Britain to leave.We're planning for me to study in Scotland and for him to move where i study.And Scotland seems to want to divide from UK and be independant so this complicates things for him.Its kinda messed up but atleast it wont affect travel for two years hopefully.Today in the parlament they will be discussing the whole brexit and everything so its going to decide a lot of things.We love each other so much and no matter what happens we know we are gonna get through it cause we had many hardships along the way

Comment

Working...
          X