Parents say we don't match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents say we don't match

First of all, I'm old enough and I know I can make decisions for myself and my parents can't really talk me out of anything. It's just I'm very close to them and they met my boyfriend last week (first time I introduced someone to them) and they try to talk me out of dating him, saying we don't match. Of course I want the people I like to like each other, so I'm a bit at a loss here and feeling down about it. I've already made my decision for me, that I want to be with him because he makes me happy. Nobody knows the future, but you can't know if you don't try. I just want to write this down to help me sort my feelings and if anyone has their two cents, I'd be greatful.

Some more details:
    My boyfriend looks like a macho yakuza (japanese mafia) guy, because he has this samurai haircut with the sides shaved and the main hair long and he's doing muscle training, so he's all pumped. He also wears kinda flashy clothes. He is no yakuza though, he just looks a bit like one. He's wild at heart (I think he's calmed down though since he's 30 now and was a rebel when he was younger). He went to a technical school and learned to be a fitness trainer, but didn't get a job as one, so he worked different jobs and it wasn't always easy to get around. He also tried to become a pro kickboxer which he gave up on at 24. Now he's finally earning enough to get around selling clothes at a store (he retrained and got some additional licenses and is aiming to get a better position at the company, since it's a small clothes chain store). I on the other hand will graduate my master next month and be hopefully able to join a good company and move to Japan. I've been planning to do that even before I met him, so it just fits well that he's were I want to move.

Last week, he was in Germany to visit me, but also mainly to see my parents and show them he's a good guy, because my mom is worried about me moving to another country and being with a man she's never met. We stayed 3 days at my parents house (the rest of the time he was in my apartment) and now my mom is even more worried. She says he's not right for me. We're not on the same level intellecutally, but this judgement is mostly based on his job ("he can't provide for you with his salary" which I think is stupid, because he works hard and I think he can do better and I will also earn money for us) and his behavior at my parents house. He is wild, like I said, so in other words, he is messy and my mom hates messy people. He didn't want to act as a guest or stranger or make a show for them, but show them his true side. She complained about his table manners (partly can't be helped, he's not used to European food and fork and knife for example, partly I understand, but wouldn't make a fuss about it.), complained about how messy he is (leaving clothes on the floor or walking around with wet feet in the bathroom, things I'lll have to deal with if they would bother me, lol, that's not even of her business) and complained about him cuddling up to me on the couch or at the table after dinner, after saying to me it's okay when we were in the situation ("he always sleeps and is always at your side, like you're having a pet or a stuffed animal" "he is 30 but doesn't act like a 30 year old guy") She said I won't be able to bring her anywhere like a business dinner or something because he can't behave even though he is a 30 year old guy and I won't get him to change his behavior easily. I told my boyfriend what she said and he said a business dinner would be complete different situation. Business world is all about lying and making good impression, while with family he wanted to just be himself and didn't want to lie to them, but because of this we now have this situation. My boyfriend is very loving and honest and would never hurt someone unless they hurt me. We both don't want luxury, but a solid salary to not have financial concerns and a simple life with occassional travels and having pets in a somewhat decent apartment, that's all.

I'm the youngest in the family, my mom is overprotective of me. She's always there for me and we are pretty close even though we don't always share the same view on life. I've never gone against what my parents said, they also let me study what I wanted even though they knew it might lead to me going to Japan for longer. My parents are divorced and my mom remarried the greatest guy, he's smart and always calm about everything he says. He has a very composed view on everything, but he is also worried about me this time (even though his reasoning is better than my mom's), which bothers me a lot, because I know I can trust his judgement. However my judgement is more important to me. My real dad also met my boyfriend this week, but he didn't say anything about him yet (I need to call him). My sister is a big problem, since she is one of the reasons my mom worries about me so much. She is 15 years older than me, married quite young while she and her husband were still in university. She finished, but her husband never finished university and she had to provide for the two for years before she realised a few years ago they don't fit anymore and left him for another guy. She followed the other guy to America where she got cheated on and dumped the bad way and now she's going on too many dates and kind of wasting her money (she's got a good job, so no financial problems, but she's kinda wasteful with money in my opinion). So my mom is always worried about my sister as well even though she's already 40 years old.

My parents also think it's just infatuation, so I'll get over it eventually. He's not even my type, I just love his nature. He's funny, caring, honest and we have the same attitude towards life. All things that are important to me. I'm truly happy even if we just talk. He doesn't want my money, nor just wants sex. He's a great guy in many ways. He's not jealous, he trusts me, I trust him, he shows feelings (he cried at the airport before I could), is reliable and can protect me.

Sorry about the long post, but I had to give some more details to make the situation clear. Thanks for reading.

Sorry to hear about this new difficulty.

Your parents are concerned about you, and that's understandable. Given the history you have just described, they cannot help but be apprehensive.

As you said you are an adult and can make your own decisions. As long as you and your SO show that you are happy together: he treats you right, you're willing to stand by him, and you are good for each other----that will help your family see that you are a match and that their initial fears were ill founded.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Katy_G View Post
      Sorry to hear about this new difficulty.

Your parents are concerned about you, and that's understandable. Given the history you have just described, they cannot help but be apprehensive.

As you said you are an adult and can make your own decisions. As long as you and your SO show that you are happy together: he treats you right, you're willing to stand by him, and you are good for each other----that will help your family see that you are a match and that their initial fears were ill founded.

Best of luck!
      Thanks for your comment.

I know they are concerned. I'm not even mad, just sad. I know they just care about my wellbeing and don't want me to run into something I will regret. However, I think I must do this even if this doesn't turn out as I expect it. How would I know without trying. I'll try to show them that I didn't choose him for shallow reasons and eventually they will have to accept it and might come to understand. I just hope it all turns out well.

Comment

It can be saddening indeed. However these things do take time, especially to prove that this is a risk worth taking. After all it's only the consistency of his character and your relationship that can....and hopefully will win them over.

I have faith for you both.

Comment

Yeah I think so too. I was planning the move before I knew him, so it's not like I'm going solely for him. I will only know if it's worth it if I take this step. My stepdad always told me not to be dependend on others, so I will depend on my own abilities and my job over there, so that even if it turns out bad I'll still have my own life. However it just feels so right to be together and I'm sure we make things work. I always try to have a critical view on things and don't make decisions lightheartedly, so I trust my judgement.

Thanks for your support

Comment

Last week, he was in Germany to visit me, but also mainly to see my parents and show them he's a good guy, because my mom is worried about me moving to another country and being with a man she's never met.
            I'm the youngest in the family, my mom is overprotective of me. She's always there for me and we are pretty close even though we don't always share the same view on life.
            I think your parents need time to adjust...this is a major change for them. Can you plan more Skype time for them to become more acquainted with your SO?

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth123 View Post
              I think your parents need time to adjust...this is a major change for them. Can you plan more Skype time for them to become more acquainted with your SO?
              Thanks for the reply I also think they need time. My mom has always refused to skype with him, I offered it even before he came to Germany, so I doubt she'll do it now. It's also difficult to arrange since I don't live at home and don't get there often and it's already difficult to arrange skype time for just the two of us because of his job.
              I think she knows she hurt me with what she said (she mustve realized she said too much when she got too emotional), because I didn't contact her today and she still sent me emoji and a good night text, which she normally doesn't do. Just testing if I'm mad, lol. Might be that she's using him to have someone to blame for me leaving. I'm not sure if it would be good to have them talk right now. I think she must realize first she messed something up, I would honestly want her to apologize to him for some things she said, because some things were very hurtful and I told him some and he was very hurt, because face to face she smiled and was nice to him when they met.

Comment

Aww, that's quite sad to hear blue-san~

Everyone is right that you should give her some time, and from your last post, it's kind of working as well.

But she needs to understand the line between being overprotective and hurtful. She said hurtful things about your SO and the whole thing just showed that she doesn't trust your decisions and feelings either. She was emotional and everything, which justifies her, but doesn't make it okay. Especially her saying it's an infatuation part

Also, you seem like a quite smart and reasonable adult yourself and you have your independence. So I am sure there won't be much trouble. But parents' support especially before a big move, which must be stressful to you already, instead of them adding more to the stress, is important. She also has to realise that with her behaviours she's just doing worse, not better. Especially since the decision is already made.

Either way, hopefully she apologises soon and starts being more supportive to you both

Comment

Originally posted by C.C. View Post
                  Aww, that's quite sad to hear blue-san~

Everyone is right that you should give her some time, and from your last post, it's kind of working as well.

But she needs to understand the line between being overprotective and hurtful. She said hurtful things about your SO and the whole thing just showed that she doesn't trust your decisions and feelings either. She was emotional and everything, which justifies her, but doesn't make it okay. Especially her saying it's an infatuation part

Also, you seem like a quite smart and reasonable adult yourself and you have your independence. So I am sure there won't be much trouble. But parents' support especially before a big move, which must be stressful to you already, instead of them adding more to the stress, is important. She also has to realise that with her behaviours she's just doing worse, not better. Especially since the decision is already made.

Either way, hopefully she apologises soon and starts being more supportive to you both
                  Thank you! Good to hear that I'm not crazy, haha.
                  I know she acts like this after my sister going crazy on some things (she was infatuated and didn't see the guy she was with was no good). My mom needs to realize that those things happen, relationships start and they fall apart, it happens everyday. I think if you make a decision and stand by it, it's all fine. I talked to him for several months before we met. We weren't a couple until after we met in person. I also wondered if he's right for me, but all doubts are blown away by how he is and how he treats me, so I concluded he's good for me and I want this. You shouldn't have regrets. I know I would regret not trying to be with him, because right now he's good for me, so I made this decision and stand by it. Also, it's a relationship, not a marriage, lol. She should look at things more calmly and I hope she will realise that things aren't getting better with her telling me hurtful stuff. So I'll give her time. I was also upset, because he had to go home and I felt lonely, so I called my mom hoping she could cheer me up and instead hearing this stuff just made things worse. Now I feel a bit better already (had a long phone call with one of my best friends yesterday and she really helped me calm down). I have lots of stuff to do and don't need this kind of drama right now.

Thanks for the support, it really helps to hear I'm doing good on this matter. I'm really glad I can talk to ppl on this forum

Comment

Originally posted by aoitori View Post
                    Thank you! Good to hear that I'm not crazy, haha.
                    I know she acts like this after my sister going crazy on some things (she was infatuated and didn't see the guy she was with was no good). My mom needs to realize that those things happen, relationships start and they fall apart, it happens everyday. I think if you make a decision and stand by it, it's all fine. I talked to him for several months before we met. We weren't a couple until after we met in person. I also wondered if he's right for me, but all doubts are blown away by how he is and how he treats me, so I concluded he's good for me and I want this. You shouldn't have regrets. I know I would regret not trying to be with him, because right now he's good for me, so I made this decision and stand by it. Also, it's a relationship, not a marriage, lol. She should look at things more calmly and I hope she will realise that things aren't getting better with her telling me hurtful stuff. So I'll give her time. I was also upset, because he had to go home and I felt lonely, so I called my mom hoping she could cheer me up and instead hearing this stuff just made things worse. Now I feel a bit better already (had a long phone call with one of my best friends yesterday and she really helped me calm down). I have lots of stuff to do and don't need this kind of drama right now.

Thanks for the support, it really helps to hear I'm doing good on this matter. I'm really glad I can talk to ppl on this forum
                    You are welcome~ :3
                    One more thing: Your mother saw how awfully your sister's relationships ended, but you did as well, right? You also learned from that experience and you are more careful about everything, too. And mainly, you are you, not her.
                    You know your relationship the best, and you know what kind of person your SO is the best. Looks and manners don't determine who he is either.
                    Maybe, if she feels apologetic but still doesn't fully understand things in future, you could try making her understand all that and everything you said here, you don't have to though.

Comment

Your mum probably knows that good (European) table manners and being tidy is not a guarantee that he is a kind man what will treat you right. She was apprehensive about him before she met him, and now every little thing he does is "proof" to her that you are a bad match. It seems her girls are a bit adventerous and she doesnt know how to deal. However, I agree with her that if you move to live with him, he should have a full time job so that he can provide for the both of you until you find work in your own. Even a modest life costs a lot.
                      Last edited by differentcountries; July 16, 2016, 08:04 AM.
                      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
                        Your mum probably knows that good (European) table manners and being tidy is not a guarantee that he is a kind man what will treat you right. She was apprehensive about him before she met him, and now every little thing he does is "proof" to her that you are a bad match. It seems her girls are a bit adventerous and she doesnt know how to deal. However, I agree with her that if you move to live with him, he should have a full time job so that he can provide for the both of you until you find work in your own. Even a modest life costs a lot.
                        Thank you. I understand that. He doesn't have the best paying job but it's a full-time position. It would be tight but we could live on his job alone. I'm trying to find work from here already, which is difficult but not impossible. So I might already get started working once I'm with him. He's working really hard and he won't let me down, but I want to be independent work-wise. I've studied a long time to get a good job, so I want to find work soon. I told her I don't want to depend on his financials, but instead earn my own money.

My mom never got out of the little town I was born in, she's been living there practically her whole life. Ever since I moved away from it, it feels too narrow for me there, so I could never live there, but I appreciate it when I come home for visits. She's been opening up lately, but she's really bad with change. My stepdad has seen the world and he's helping her a lot with the opening up.

Comment

I'm a mom. We always worry about our kids and we want the best for them. Don't be to harsh with her. She cares and she loves you..that is obvious.
                          They do say you can never make a second first impression. Honestly, I feel he should have tried a little bit especially since your mom was worried. If he can behave at a dinner function, there is absolutely no reason for him not to behave with your family.

Yes, she is concerned, you are the baby and her other daughter is having issues too. She wants the best for you.

I agree with DC...he needs to have a good stable job and show he can provide. She already has a bad opinion. And at 30, he needs to show up a little more... Sorry if that sounds a it harsh, but that is a mom thing. I hope it works out for you both!

Comment

Originally posted by sasad View Post
                            I'm a mom. We always worry about our kids and we want the best for them. Don't be to harsh with her. She cares and she loves you..that is obvious.
                            They do say you can never make a second first impression. Honestly, I feel he should have tried a little bit especially since your mom was worried. If he can behave at a dinner function, there is absolutely no reason for him not to behave with your family.

Yes, she is concerned, you are the baby and her other daughter is having issues too. She wants the best for you.

I agree with DC...he needs to have a good stable job and show he can provide. She already has a bad opinion. And at 30, he needs to show up a little more... Sorry if that sounds a it harsh, but that is a mom thing. I hope it works out for you both!
                            Thanks for the opinion. Like I said, I understand. I'm very calm about this. It's just that, what's done is done. Some things may have been too much, other things are cultural misses I would excuse. He did behave. He said "thank you" and "sorry" like a 1000 times. I know where her concerns come from and I don't mind your harsh words. He has a stable job and even though it wouldn't be luxury it would be enough for us both. My mom also thinks he is satisfied with his current position and has no ambitions to get a better life, which is not true. He is working very hard to get a better position and got a small promotion today because of it. He took whatever shift he was assigned to over the last 6 months, to be able to take the week off (money for the flight was not really a problem after all, because he got his bonus) in order to meet my parents and he said he needed to meet them because after all they were so worried about me and it would be the most courteous thing to do. Maybe some things went wrong on the first impression, but he really put in a lot for this to work, which my mom doesn't acknowledge at all. If I had known before, I would've discussed some things with him, but it was also a first time for me introducing a guy to them, so I was all in for the "let's just see how it goes", which apparently wasn't the best idea. I can't rewind it, so we'll have to make the best of the current situation. I don't want anybody to be hurt here. I love all of them after all.

Comment

Of course, she doesn't see anything positive related to the long distance, even if making plans and setting aside the money/credit shows that he is in a good place in his life. That's really hard to aqknowledge for her. Having a full time job is a good guarantee, and he obviously has enough to pay the bills. As for the things she thought was rude or whatever, if he had been "prepared for a job interview", that might not have worked out so well either.

I have met some parents in my time, and there is really no way of knowing what they will appreciate - you can only come with the way you are, try to be polite and that's really it. You have to know someone (or know them throgh your SO) in order to cater to what they will consider "good behaviour" or "a nice son-in-law". In SOs home, they were impressed because I pee in the Turkish style toilet even when I have a choice, I feed the calf and I do everything they do, like watch Turkish tv. Basically they critisize my language skills (and my height!). My Norwegian inlaws, they have a million small rules. They have specific newspapers they dislike and they dont like me drying my hair after a shower, odd rules that I try to comply to but had no idea they would even consider an issue when I first met them. It is a matter of deciding what is most important. I still think banning my favourite newspaper is stupid, but my husband notices the things I do and I think of it as pleasing him, not them.

People are strange (you and me too), and you just have to try to go with the flow. If your SO is a laidback guy not wanting to "act businiss at home", and your mum want him to be a bit strict, perhaps look into clothes and manners that are both nice and casual at the same time? Perhaps eat with a spoon and fork instead of a knife (I personally dislike knives and I love that Turks hardly use them when eating). If he makes a lot of water mess in the bathroom, he could make a habit to soak it up with a towel when he is done. There should be ways to make both sides feel ok with it. But there could still be glitches. My father get SOOO upset if my BIL doesn't put on a suit for holiday dinners, I mean he gets really worked up about it. But my BIL loves casual wear and he is a grown man, so I guess my dad will just have to live with it
                              Last edited by differentcountries; July 16, 2016, 02:09 PM.
                              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
                              X