First Thanksgiving w/o him.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Thanksgiving w/o him.

This is only our second Thanksgiving together, but we at least got to celebrate it together last year. I know it's just a regular holiday, but it's still something special to be together with those you love. My family and I had dinner early last week because my mom always has to work on Thanksgiving. Babe is spending the day/evening with his long lost family in Connecticut. I literally haven't done a thing all day but lounge at home, binge watching Netflix.

I suppose I should get used to not having holidays together, especially with him being in the military. I'm used to being away from him, but I did get a little emotional today. I know that this is just the beginning of a lot of missed holidays together, as well as birthdays. That's what I signed up for though, because I loved him before the uniform. I don't know, even though I'm "used to it" it still doesn't take that little ache in my heart away, you know? I just cannot wait until we will be able to celebrate holidays together, in our own home, with family and friends, and just finally be together.

We both want that so badly, but now is just not the right time. I just pray so hard that things will fall into place for us soon, and we can begin working on closing this distance.
    [CENTER][FONT=Georgia]
    Cherie & Jeffrey
    Dating Anniversary: 3/10/2015
    Engaged: 7/7/2017
    Closed the Distance: August 31st, 2017 ♥
    MARRIED: Eloped 11/21/17; Official Ceremony: May 18th, 2018 ♥
    Had our baby girl: May 30th, 2020 ♥
    Settled into our forever home state: November 2020

Originally posted by c_denise3 View Post
    This is only our second Thanksgiving together, but we at least got to celebrate it together last year. I know it's just a regular holiday, but it's still something special to be together with those you love. My family and I had dinner early last week because my mom always has to work on Thanksgiving. Babe is spending the day/evening with his long lost family in Connecticut. I literally haven't done a thing all day but lounge at home, binge watching Netflix.

I suppose I should get used to not having holidays together, especially with him being in the military. I'm used to being away from him, but I did get a little emotional today. I know that this is just the beginning of a lot of missed holidays together, as well as birthdays. That's what I signed up for though, because I loved him before the uniform. I don't know, even though I'm "used to it" it still doesn't take that little ache in my heart away, you know? I just cannot wait until we will be able to celebrate holidays together, in our own home, with family and friends, and just finally be together.

We both want that so badly, but now is just not the right time. I just pray so hard that things will fall into place for us soon, and we can begin working on closing this distance.
    It is not a 'regular' holiday. For the same reason that is painful to be apart on that day. Because of missing a 'loved one' who is not biologically, or legally related to you(yet).

Almost 30yrs. ago, my (ex)wife(m. 1992-2000) n' I had met in Aug.'87. In October of that year, she had to go out of town w/ family for some reason. By this time, we were a 'couple'. I didn't want her to go. She wasn't going to be doing something dangerous, I just didn't want her to go.

First Visit: September 2016
    Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
    Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
    John 4:12
    I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris516 View Post
      It is not a 'regular' holiday. For the same reason that is painful to be apart on that day. Because of missing a 'loved one' who is not biologically, or legally related to you(yet).

Almost 30yrs. ago, my (ex)wife(m. 1992-2000) n' I had met in Aug.'87. In October of that year, she had to go out of town w/ family for some reason. By this time, we were a 'couple'. I didn't want her to go. She wasn't going to be doing something dangerous, I just didn't want her to go.
      I don't quite follow where you were going with your response to my post, honestly. Yeah, it's a holiday that you are supposed to spend with family and those you love, mine is in the military and we are currently 471 (8 hours) apart. Not sure where you were going with the remark about he and I not being legally bounded yet. I don't think that makes a difference in missing him. We've been together nearly 2 years.
      [CENTER][FONT=Georgia]
      Cherie & Jeffrey

Comment

I don't quite follow where you were going with your response to my post, honestly. Yeah, it's a holiday that you are supposed to spend with family and those you love, mine is in the military and we are currently 471 (8 hours) apart. Not sure where you were going with the remark about he and I not being legally bounded yet. I don't think that makes a difference in missing him. We've been together nearly 2 years.
        My point is, that while you are in an ldr. Your family cannot truly appreciate your love for him. I said the statement about not being legally bonded(yet). Not to imply anything. But to point out, that it shouldn't matter to others whether you are married yet or not. Just that you n' he love each other.

I used the example of my (ex)wife, before we got married. To show you, that I have been there.

First Visit: September 2016
        Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
        Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
        For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
        John 4:12
        I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

Same, honestly. I got a little emotional over dinner today, and apparently so did he. His roommates went off-base (family nearby) for Thanksgiving, so he was by himself and had nothing to do. I wanted him there with me, especially now since he's my fiancé and everyone's REALLY asking me about him, how he's doing, etc. He wanted to be with me, and he wanted to see his parents, and he really just didn't want to be by himself on base for the holiday weekend. We ended up skyping for a couple of hours today, which was nice, though. He got to talk to my parents and get ignored by my dog.

It's definitely gonna suck, and I'm not sure any amount of getting used to it is gonna make it suck less. It seems like it's really just a matter of pushing through it and crying if/when you need to. I really do wish you guys the best of luck that it all works out how you want it to.

Comment

I got quite emotional yesterday and we don't even have Thanksgiving here. We've been together 4-years now and haven't managed to spend any holiday together, no birthday's, anniversaries, Christmas, Valentine's, Guy Fawkes......none. Yes, they're only days on a calendar but when everyone else (it seems at the time, reality is different) is together and doing festive things, it sucks.

Comment

Been almost 2 years and still haven't gotten one holiday with my SO. Yes it sucks, but at least you've had the chance.

Comment

Maybe because we have been through a lot of them apart, it was just another holiday without him there. We talked on the phone a couple of times. He went to work and stopped at his cousins on the way home for dinner. I had fun with my daughters and family. Instead of focusing on us not being together, we talk about how our first holiday in our own home will be and what we want to do.
                To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
                  Same, honestly. I got a little emotional over dinner today, and apparently so did he. His roommates went off-base (family nearby) for Thanksgiving, so he was by himself and had nothing to do. I wanted him there with me, especially now since he's my fiancé and everyone's REALLY asking me about him, how he's doing, etc. He wanted to be with me, and he wanted to see his parents, and he really just didn't want to be by himself on base for the holiday weekend. We ended up skyping for a couple of hours today, which was nice, though. He got to talk to my parents and get ignored by my dog.

It's definitely gonna suck, and I'm not sure any amount of getting used to it is gonna make it suck less. It seems like it's really just a matter of pushing through it and crying if/when you need to. I really do wish you guys the best of luck that it all works out how you want it to.
                  Thank you, I really appreciate it. Family always asks about how he's doing and everything and I just wish he could be here for a lot of things. He could've came home for the weekend but the way he saw it, he is coming home for Christmas in a few weeks anyway. He also wanted to spend it with his family that he hasn't seen since he was little. I was just up there last weekend, and it's been snowing so another trip up to CT wasn't gonna be possible.

I hope everything works out for y'all too!
                  [CENTER][FONT=Georgia]
                  Cherie & Jeffrey

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                    I got quite emotional yesterday and we don't even have Thanksgiving here. We've been together 4-years now and haven't managed to spend any holiday together, no birthday's, anniversaries, Christmas, Valentine's, Guy Fawkes......none. Yes, they're only days on a calendar but when everyone else (it seems at the time, reality is different) is together and doing festive things, it sucks.
                    I agree. I only said "just a regular holiday," because I wasn't sure how people would react to me complaining about not being able to spend Thanksgiving with him. Yes, when it's a big family oriented holiday, it does suck, especially when they ask about him.
                    [CENTER][FONT=Georgia]
                    Cherie & Jeffrey

Comment

Working...
                    X