Should I Crowd-Fund an LDR Trip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I Crowd-Fund an LDR Trip?

I've been desperately wanting to meet my LDR Boyfriend, both of us have been trying to save up our money, but things just aren't working out. Do you think I should try Crowd-Funding a trip to meet my LDR Boyfriend for the first time?

Originally posted by VerinaWrinn View Post
    I've been desperately wanting to meet my LDR Boyfriend, both of us have been trying to save up our money, but things just aren't working out. Do you think I should try Crowd-Funding a trip to meet my LDR Boyfriend for the first time?
    Is it the cost of a flight?

Going by your locales'

I used St. Paul, Minnesota and Rocky Mount, North Carolina. Just to get an idea of transportation cost.

Amtrak is $231-$982 depending on the kind of ticket you would get.
    Greyhound doesn't service that route. But I know you didn't say specifically. What part of Minnesota and North Carolina.
    Last edited by Chris516; November 30, 2016, 12:06 AM.

First Visit: September 2016
    Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
    Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
    John 4:12
    I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

I would say no just because it doesn't seem sustainable...would you do a crowd-fund for every time you wanted to see him? It's up to you though, you see crowd funds for all sorts of things these days so you could give it a try! Also I hate to even suggest this, but another option is to charge it on a credit card, and look for a better paying job in the long term. Unfortunately LDRs requires saving a lot of money.

Comment

I would say no as well, because all of us, by example, are in LDRs or have been in them, and know that with LDRs come certain differences to close-distance relationships. LDRs mean sacrifice and compromise, and personally I don't think it would be a good idea to "crowd-fund" when others scrimp and save like crazy just to see their SOs.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaS View Post
          I would say no just because it doesn't seem sustainable...would you do a crowd-fund for every time you wanted to see him? It's up to you though, you see crowd funds for all sorts of things these days so you could give it a try! Also I hate to even suggest this, but another option is to charge it on a credit card, and look for a better paying job in the long term. Unfortunately LDRs requires saving a lot of money.
          She's 16, she can't get a credit card.

OP, do you have your parent's permission for this trip? If so, maybe you should be asking them for money for things like Christmas and your birthday to put towards the travel. You can't rent a hotel, so are his parents willing to let you stay with them? Money isn't your only issue here and crowd funding sites are flooded with people asking for money, so your chances of actually getting enough cash aren't great. Do you have an after-school job? If not, you should, take anything as long as you can get a paycheck. Good luck.
          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
            She's 16, she can't get a credit card.

OP, do you have your parent's permission for this trip? If so, maybe you should be asking them for money for things like Christmas and your birthday to put towards the travel. You can't rent a hotel, so are his parents willing to let you stay with them? Money isn't your only issue here and crowd funding sites are flooded with people asking for money, so your chances of actually getting enough cash aren't great. Do you have an after-school job? If not, you should, take anything as long as you can get a paycheck. Good luck.
            Well you need a credit card to book a flight so I just assumed she had one!

Comment

Originally posted by LisaS View Post
              Well you need a credit card to book a flight so I just assumed she had one!
              Not of her own, it isn't legal, which is why I asked if her parents knew about this. Also, a train or bus ticket would be cheaper and you can pay cash.
              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                Not of her own, it isn't legal, which is why I asked if her parents knew about this. Also, a train or bus ticket would be cheaper and you can pay cash.
                Didn't realize her age initially, but yes this should definitely be discussed the parents!

Comment

Originally posted by VerinaWrinn View Post
                  I don't think so, especially with your age.. I would definitely talk with your parents and see if they can come up with a plan.. Maybe your BF can come visit you? As a mom of a daughter, I would much prefer that ...

Comment

The age issue aside, crowd funding isn't really a good idea because of the fees you have to pay to even set up your project. I once interviewed someone who crowd funds for her novels she writes and i was totally amazed that the website keeps a majority of the money you make and have pretty high fee's for setting up a project. Crowd funding definitely isn't something you want to do if you don't have a lot of money to begin with. Like the others have said, talk to your parents and ask your family for money for birthday and christmas to try save up.
                    my girls <3

Josie (SO)
                    Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
                    Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
                    Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
                    Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
                    Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
                    Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
                    Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
                    All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

Working...
                    X