This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worried that too much Alcohol could make my SO's Bipolar worse

Hey guys apologies for the mess up in the LFAD Anonymous section but let's try again here

Ok a few years ago my girlfriend was diagnosed with Type 1 Bipolar which I believe is the more hyper active/manic side rather than the Type 2 which is the more severe depression side I believe, now before I go on I feel I should point out that she is not on any kind of medication and refuses to get any.

Now a couple of weeks ago she had a few friends over at her place and decided to get drunk with them while they were watching movies on Netflix which she had never done before up to this point, afterwards once they had left she deciddd to Skype me and although she had sobered up a little I noticed a massive change in her mood as she was throwing cups against her wall, taking her bed covers off as well as her pillows before taking her clothes off and talking dirty to me which was completely the opposite way she usually is with me.

Now I know of course I can't say anything to her about it as I'm worried about coming across as being controlling but I'm wondering if anyone here can shed any light on whether Alcohol or at least too much of it does affect Bipolar and make it worse?
    As one door closes another always opens and now I look to the future with a new outlook and perspective on life, it's an open book and I'm ready for the next chapter

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
    Hey guys apologies for the mess up in the LFAD Anonymous section but let's try again here

Ok a few years ago my girlfriend was diagnosed with Type 1 Bipolar which I believe is the more hyper active/manic side rather than the Type 2 which is the more severe depression side I believe, now before I go on I feel I should point out that she is not on any kind of medication and refuses to get any.

Now a couple of weeks ago she had a few friends over at her place and decided to get drunk with them while they were watching movies on Netflix which she had never done before up to this point, afterwards once they had left she deciddd to Skype me and although she had sobered up a little I noticed a massive change in her mood as she was throwing cups against her wall, taking her bed covers off as well as her pillows before taking her clothes off and talking dirty to me which was completely the opposite way she usually is with me.

Now I know of course I can't say anything to her about it as I'm worried about coming across as being controlling but I'm wondering if anyone here can shed any light on whether Alcohol or at least too much of it does affect Bipolar and make it worse?
    There is a lot of stuff on the web....alcohol is a depressant.....

https://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disord...s-to-avoid#3-7

Read up about the consequences. And you can mention your concerns about drinking, but unless it's a habit, let this one go. Even non bipolar peeps can get really nutz after drinking

Comment

Originally posted by sasad View Post
      Even non bipolar peeps can get really nutz after drinking
      Second this.
      I turn into a weird/silly courageous person whose filter doesn't really work even after a glass or two. (Never been actually drunk)

Comment

There is a lot of stuff on the web....alcohol is a depressant.....

https://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disord...s-to-avoid#3-7

Read up about the consequences. And you can mention your concerns about drinking, but unless it's a habit, let this one go. Even non bipolar peeps can get really nutz after drinking
        While I agree that 'alcohol/liqour, and meds don't mix'. I would definitely not say, they get 'nuts'. They each have a name. It is not 'Bipolar Disorder'. Bipolar Disorder is just part of who they are.

If they get manic. Courtesy of the alcohol messing with their bipolar meds, and then they think something like they can stop a 2,000-car/10,000-ton train. Just by standing on the tracks. Sure, That is definitely a time for them to spend a week or more in the psych ward. But I definitely won't call them 'nuts'.

My (ex)fiance did have public outbursts' on several occasions that got us kicked out of several places. But I also started checking her meds daily. To see if the bottles had even been moved from their previous position. That way I had a pretty good idea, that she was taking her meds. I didn't do it out of suspicion. I did it out of love. Because, I didn't want her to get manic.

She did tell me at one point. That she wished she never told me about it. For people to stay 'sane', when they are in a relationship wIth someone who has been diagnosed with a form of Bipolar Disorder(Bipolar I, Bipolar II, Cyclothymia; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipola...a_and_subtypes). Is to set boundaries with the diagnosed individual, stick to them, and never waiver.

Equally, Never let the person slack off on taking their bipolar meds. It wouldn't be 'controlling them', but making sure they don't get manic by thinking they don't need their meds.

While everything I mentioned here, would mostly apply to an LDR that has achieved CD. It can still apply marginally to an LDR that hasn't achieved CD.

If someone is not strong enough emotionally for the trials and tribulations of being in a relationship with a bipolar individual. They should end it before it starts.
        Last edited by Chris516; December 23, 2016, 06:05 PM.

First Visit: September 2016
        Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
        Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
        For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
        John 4:12
        I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

There are many ways to deal with bipolarism.

I close friend of mine used to go on bipolar meds, but he stopped due to the big side effects that was affecting his work performance and his marriage. Now he takes some kind of herbs and he reduces the things he does, so to not be triggered by stress. He is also very involved in the national biopolar organization so he knows all about the best treatments.

As with the alcohol, it is not unusual to get a little more uninhabited after a few drinks. You dont mention her drinking often, and she is not taking meds so there is not medical interaction.

What does her doctor say about treatment/follow up on the bipolar diagnosis?
          Last edited by differentcountries; December 23, 2016, 06:57 PM.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by Chris516 View Post
            While I agree that 'alcohol/liqour, and meds don't mix'. I would definitely not say, they get 'nuts'. They each have a name. It is not 'Bipolar Disorder'. Bipolar Disorder is just part of who they are.

If they get manic. Courtesy of the alcohol messing with their bipolar meds, and then they think something like they can stop a 2,000-car/10,000-ton train. Just by standing on the tracks. Sure, That is definitely a time for them to spend a week or more in the psych ward. But I definitely won't call them 'nuts'.

My (ex)fiance did have public outbursts' on several occasions that got us kicked out of several places. But I also started checking her meds daily. To see if the bottles had even been moved from their previous position. That way I had a pretty good idea, that she was taking her meds. I didn't do it out of suspicion. I did it out of love. Because, I didn't want her to get manic.

She did tell me at one point. That she wished she never told me about it. For people to stay 'sane', when they are in a relationship wIth someone who has been diagnosed with a form of Bipolar Disorder(Bipolar I, Bipolar II, Cyclothymia; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipola...a_and_subtypes). Is to set boundaries with the diagnosed individual, stick to them, and never waiver.

Equally, Never let the person slack off on taking their bipolar meds. It wouldn't be 'controlling them', but making sure they don't get manic by thinking they don't need their meds.

While everything I mentioned here, would mostly apply to an LDR that has achieved CD. It can still apply marginally to an LDR that hasn't achieved CD.

If someone is not strong enough emotionally for the trials and tribulations of being in a relationship with a bipolar individual. They should end it before it starts.

For gods sake Chris... read my response before you go blabbing stuff incorrectly. And for you to even mention how to stay sane with somebody that's bipolar?? You would think with all the stuff that you do for everybody and everything that you're some kind of a God etc. it's not you that's a doctor it's not you that makes people take medication etc.

I said non bipolar. And I really don't care about your exes already know and alll that non related stuff like that.. I'm trying to talk to the OP
            To quote you if you don't like what I say too bad or c'est la vie.. please go to your next space responding to me at all it's not worth the time or the effort to read anything
            For

Comment

For gods sake Chris... read my response before you go blabbing stuff incorrectly. And for you to even mention how to stay sane with somebody that's bipolar?? You would think with all the stuff that you do for everybody and everything that you're some kind of a God etc. it's not you that's a doctor it's not you that makes people take medication etc.

I said non bipolar. And I really don't care about your exes already know and alll that non related stuff like that.. I'm trying to talk to the OP
              To quote you if you don't like what I say too bad or c'est la vie.. please go to your next space responding to me at all it's not worth the time or the effort to read anything
              For
              Not my problem. The problem is all yours.

For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
              I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

Not my problem. The problem is all yours.

..gosh...so snappy too! Ha.

Again, you try to make everything about you and all your exes...this forum isn't about you and trying to gain compassion for you every time you respond to a post. It's about helping people, not about gosh, can you believe poor Chris who has experienced and knows everything! Just take a pill and chill. Stop trying to be the reason everything is and stop making it always either about you or so negative. Learn empathy.
                Last edited by sasad; December 24, 2016, 06:23 AM.

Comment

I have bipolar and yes alcohol can make me 100x worse but it depends on my mood before I started drinking, I've found I can actually have a few beers safely if I'm with people I know well and feel safe with. However bipolar is a total spectrum and can't really neatly fit into type 1, 2 etc people will react differently.

Comment

..gosh...so snappy too! Ha.

Again, you try to make everything about you and all your exes...this forum isn't about you and trying to gain compassion for you every time you respond to a post. It's about helping people, not about gosh, can you believe poor Chris who has experienced and knows everything! Just take a pill and chill. Stop trying to be the reason everything is and stop making it always either about you or so negative. Learn empathy.
                    That is your opinion. You don't like my analytical approach to the OPs'. That is your problem not mine. I take into account. Not just what the OP said, and how they feel. But I also think about the behavior of the OP's s/o. Now, If you don't like how I respond, then don't read my response. If your only purpose for reading my response. Is so you can critique my response. Instead of thinking about it without any pre-conceived judgments.

You think I am making it about me, or my s/o. I am not. You just don't like how I respond. So what. You don't like my empathy. You don't like my sympathy. Well, Guess what....Tough.

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                      I have bipolar and yes alcohol can make me 100x worse but it depends on my mood before I started drinking, I've found I can actually have a few beers safely if I'm with people I know well and feel safe with. However bipolar is a total spectrum and can't really neatly fit into type 1, 2 etc people will react differently.
                      I like both, your honesty, and your experience. Also, How you are one who has actually lived it. Kudos' to your answer.

Comment

That is your opinion. You don't like my analytical approach to the OPs'. That is your problem not mine. I take into account. Not just what the OP said, and how they feel. But I also think about the behavior of the OP's s/o. Now, If you don't like how I respond, then don't read my response. If your only purpose for reading my response. Is so you can critique my response. Instead of thinking about it without any pre-conceived judgments.

You think I am making it about me, or my s/o. I am not. You just don't like how I respond. So what. You don't like my empathy. You don't like my sympathy. Well, Guess what....Tough.
                        I hope you actually find happiness with yourself this new year.
                        And actually learn what sympathy and empathy are.
                        Bully much?

Comment

I hope you actually find happiness with yourself this new year.
                          And actually learn what sympathy and empathy are.
                          Bully much?
                          I know what sympathy, and empathy are. You don't know the difference.

Comment

I know what sympathy, and empathy are. You don't know the difference.
                            I am obviously much more educated then you are.... please stop your immature tit for tat. When multiple people see an issue, its YOUR problem. Learn to accept that, grow up and stop being a child.
                            AlsoS stop hijacking the OPs thread.

Comment

I am obviously much more educated then you are.... please stop your immature tit for tat. When multiple people see an issue, its YOUR problem. Learn to accept that, grow up and stop being a child.
                              AlsoS stop hijacking the OPs thread.
                              I am more educated than you. Not only do I know the difference between empathy, and sympathy. I also lived with a woman that is Bi-Polar. I went through all the aches n' pains of her mood changes. Her lies and, her 'public' verbal explosions.

Comment

Working...
                              X