Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

He is scared to show more of himself and to meet me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is scared to show more of himself and to meet me...

Hi all,

This will be a bit long, please bear with me.
    I met this guy while gaming online a few months ago. We were always friendly, talked a bit sometimes, but for a long time nothing happened. Then around october we started to talk a lot, every day. We even exchanged numbers and even though he first refused, he sent me a picture of himself finally. We live in the same country, but have over 200 miles distance between us (which in my opinion is nothing). We messaged every day, and even started calling each other 2-3 times a week. It happened that even when he was out with friends he was just txting me all the time. I was getting out of a relationship this time, but not because of him. The details are not important about that relationship. I told him about my issues with my now ex, and he gave me advice, listened to me, but then started to act weird and said as a reaction on something I said, that we will probably never meet in real life. I was very sad, even started crying. Turned out he was crying too, and he thought I was using him as a distraction only. I explained to him this is not the case, and though it was hard for him, he tried to believe me. I mean I can understand where he was coming from, but I cannot give more than my word. We kept talking every day, still calling whever we can. He is a very shy person, I only managed to get 3 pictures from him so far. He also says that meeting me and being with me is the one thing he wants most in this world. And that it will happen, he is just not sure when. He is scared that I would not like him in real life, he is even shy to skype/facetime with me, or send me more pictures. He says 'I look okay on those pictures, but I think I look worse in real life, what if you won't like me'. He does not know when we will meet. Though I think we have come a long way, since fist he did not even want to show me a picture, and now I have 3, first he said we will never meet and now he says 'we will, soon, dunno when though'. He says he wants us to have full trust before we do. And trust builds, but we are going to the right direction. At the end of November he offered me a way out and to be friends only if I cannot handle this, but I told him I am not taking it, because I want him, so ever since we consider ourselves a couple. Last week I lost it a bit, because I felt I put much more effort in it (I send pictures of myself, and I am not afraid to meet him) so he got very sad for a day and even considered to let me go again, if he only makes me sad and not happy. We had a long conversation over the phone, I could hear he was crying. I asked questions and he confirmed that he never wanted anyone this much in his life, and never wanted to be with someone this much. He is very shy and insecure, and scared of being left behind. Does not have the easiest background story. He is not rich either, and he never ever asked money from me.

Basically my issue is, that here is this guy, not even too far from me, scared to meet me.. He spends almost every minute talking to me, he sends me messages 1 minute before I wake up, we call almost every day, and we txt all the time. I am not questioning that he has anyone else, talking to me this much is already the same effort as having a relationship in real life. I just don't know what else to do. Wait? For how long? Not seeing the light at the end of the tunel is really hard. On the other hand, the relationship is pretty new, many things can change and I am not in a hurry, just not knowing makes me feel helpless. Is there anyone with a similar experience? Do you have any advise how to be more patient? Do you have any advise on how to make an insecure guy, who is somewhat scared of me (hurting him) want to meet me?
    Last edited by taina; December 28, 2016, 07:02 AM. Reason: typo

Every person will have a different reaction as to how much they would take. At only 200 miles apart, it is realistic that the two of you could meet in the middle for lunch or dinner. Make it something simple, just to get the initial meeting over with. He wants full trust - well this is a chance for each other to show your trust and meet. Also, if he really thinks that it's not going to work after you meet, then it's better to get it over with early instead of continuing to drag it out. Sometimes you have to just take that plunge. If he's that insecure, he needs to work on himself.....even if that means professional help.

In the end, it's how much you can take. You can put a deadline on it. "If we haven't met by _____________, then I can't do this anymore." Otherwise, you may be hanging on for months or years without ever actually meeting.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

There is nothing you can do to have the guy want to meet you. If a person is so hesitant to meet w/me, even though they have been obsessively talking to me, I would be extremely suspicious. If he really wants to move forward w/you, he wouldn't be so hesitant to meet up w/you, there is something else going on. Before I met my bf, I was talking to another guy online. We messaged back and forth everyday and one night until 2am. He always gave me the answer "someday" when I brought up a date or even video chatting, he lived pretty close to me. That to me was weird, like he was hiding something. I never hung my hopes on him and ended up chatting w/my now bf. He lives farther away and we are currently in a LDR. I visited 1st after about 2 months of talking, he was a little hesitant, but once I brought it up, he was for it. Now there is no hesitation at all. Once I went on my 1st visit, I deleted my profile off the dating site. I did message the other guy wishing him luck, only then he found my fb and sent me a message of contacting him if it didn't work out w/my bf. I would personally do yourself a favor and get yourself out there to meet other guys. I wouldn't advise waiting for him to want to meet you because in the end you will be disappointed. I'm glad I never waited for the other guy, yeah we had interesting convos and I enjoyed the sweet morning/night texts, but I needed someone outside of the virtual world. You aren't going to have full trust until you date the person for awhile. If you haven't video chatted (I did w/my bf before we met), how do you know he is who he says he is? You don't, don't hang your hopes on him.

Comment

Originally posted by NewToLongDistance2016 View Post
        There is nothing you can do to have the guy want to meet you. If a person is so hesitant to meet w/me, even though they have been obsessively talking to me, I would be extremely suspicious. If he really wants to move forward w/you, he wouldn't be so hesitant to meet up w/you, there is something else going on. Before I met my bf, I was talking to another guy online. We messaged back and forth everyday and one night until 2am. He always gave me the answer "someday" when I brought up a date or even video chatting, he lived pretty close to me. That to me was weird, like he was hiding something. I never hung my hopes on him and ended up chatting w/my now bf. He lives farther away and we are currently in a LDR. I visited 1st after about 2 months of talking, he was a little hesitant, but once I brought it up, he was for it. Now there is no hesitation at all. Once I went on my 1st visit, I deleted my profile off the dating site. I did message the other guy wishing him luck, only then he found my fb and sent me a message of contacting him if it didn't work out w/my bf. I would personally do yourself a favor and get yourself out there to meet other guys. I wouldn't advise waiting for him to want to meet you because in the end you will be disappointed. I'm glad I never waited for the other guy, yeah we had interesting convos and I enjoyed the sweet morning/night texts, but I needed someone outside of the virtual world. You aren't going to have full trust until you date the person for awhile. If you haven't video chatted (I did w/my bf before we met), how do you know he is who he says he is? You don't, don't hang your hopes on him.
        I know what you mean, the reason why I am not suspicious is because we did not meet in a dating side. We did not meet with the desire of meeting others. We were just gaming online and became friends. He sent me the first picture basically as a friend.
        Also I've read many other forums and there were both guys and girls who admited that they thought they were not good enough and were scared to meet, but the other person slowly changed their mind.
        I have not seen him yet besides pictures, but his story adds up in general (e.g I heard family members calling him using his name he gave me from the background). I totally see where you come from, but for now I really want to wait for him, because the person I met is worth it. I just want to know what others have done with similar experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by taina View Post
          I know what you mean, the reason why I am not suspicious is because we did not meet in a dating side. We did not meet with the desire of meeting others. We were just gaming online and became friends. He sent me the first picture basically as a friend.
          Also I've read many other forums and there were both guys and girls who admited that they thought they were not good enough and were scared to meet, but the other person slowly changed their mind.
          I have not seen him yet besides pictures, but his story adds up in general (e.g I heard family members calling him using his name he gave me from the background). I totally see where you come from, but for now I really want to wait for him, because the person I met is worth it. I just want to know what others have done with similar experiences.
          I understand what you mean, but you still don't know who he is. As I said you can wait for him, but do not close your doors to other guys, you don't want to wait a long time just to find out he might be a fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by NewToLongDistance2016 View Post
            I understand what you mean, but you still don't know who he is. As I said you can wait for him, but do not close your doors to other guys, you don't want to wait a long time just to find out he might be a fraud.
            There are ways for the OP to figure out, if he is the 'genuine article'.

First Visit: September 2016
            Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
            Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
            For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
            John 4:12
            I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

Originally posted by taina View Post
              I definitely don't think you should be suspicious either. As you said, he's shy and insecure and there could even be other underlying issues. In theory it may seem easy to just jump in the car and drive to meet someone, but for some it's very difficult. I had a similar experience many years ago when I was a teenager, it was my first time meeting someone online and forming a LDR. He wanted to meet me, and in a sense I wanted to meet him too, he was only another state away, but I was shy, depressed, insecure, riddled with anxiety...so it didn't matter that I wanted to meet him, it just came down to where I just couldn't at that time due to all these personal struggles within myself. I don't believe being insecure or socially awkward or anything similar is a bad excuse for not meeting someone. He seems to value trust, and by the sounds of it I think he just needs more time to realise you're serious about him and the relationship and you're not going to reject him. When he feels more secure about that, he'll step up and meet you. It's all just comes down to how long you're willing to wait, and if you want to. The only thing is that you'll have to figure out how long you are willing to wait, based on where you want to be in life; if waiting several months to a year would disrupt your growth and things in your life, then you make the decision to put yourself first if he is still then not ready to meet. But if waiting for a reasonable time doesn't negatively affect your life, and you are willing to be patient for him, then go for it. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X