Moving further

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving further

Hello, so from 2014 Aug/Sept I had started speaking to a guy that works with my brother from overseas (Caribbean) which is my birth country but i live in the UK. From early 2015 we've been in a LDrelationship since, so almost 2 years and then it would've been 3 years knowing him. Point being that although his far away as it is, his told me his now planning to move to the US with one of his sisters for a better life than the Caribbean. I don't know if I could cope with this it's even further and although I haven't gone to the my birth island yet but his lived here in the UK before, the Caribbean is an easier place to travel to with more purpose to travel there than the US. What would you do?

Imo, ldrs are ldrs and your situation doesn't change as much as you think it does.
    I think the most common international LDRs are from the US to the UK actually, so yeah, many people make it work.
    Also, wouldn't it be easier for him to visit you from there rather than Carribean?
    And another thing, this is just another hardship in your relationship and a change that gives him an opportunity to have a better life.
    I think one can deal with it if they are willing to in that situation.

Comment

I agree with C.C. Long distance is long distance, especially when the relationship spans to another country. Your SO is always just a flight away, no matter where in the world he may be Have you spoken to your SO about your feelings regarding his moving? I feel for you as you seem to have a connection to the Caribbean, maybe he doesn't realise how important it is to you & how you'd like to visit there someday. Be careful not to make him feel guilty though, of course

Comment

Long distance is long distance, but having your SO move or moving yourself can feel weird, because people at least staying put in the only constant.

I feel rather weird when SO is in his home town without me, as I know that he is both further away in distance, but also reachability (no direct flights, at least 18 hours and 3 planes to see him, compared to possably 1 flight and buses usually).

As for distance, depending on where you live, the US could be more reachable from the UK than the Carrabean. Now that you are 18 it might be easier for you to travel places on our own and make up your own mind about how things are.
        I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
        - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I agree that LD is LD... but if he is similar in age to you... around 18 - 20 years old, it is valid for you to be anxious on whether or not your relationship will survive. He's a young man moving to the US. It's not the actual mileage, it's the change of scenery and lifestyle. If your relationship is strong enough, it can survive anything. The important thing is keep communication open and be understanding. The move will be stressful for him as well and there may be times he can't communicate as often as you'd like or what you were used to. Keep an open mind and have faith.
          Sparkling72

"Strength in Us!"

"exclusive" since May 13, 2016
          ** Shortened the distance!! December 2016 **
          closing the distance in ~ Oct. 2018

Comment

.... that and the US is HUGH and there are so many different types of lifestyles all over... Northern vs Southern vs east Coast vs West Coast... Could be 3000 miles further, so I understand that. Keep an open mind, be patient with life changes and communicate your fears

Comment

Working...
            X