Calling and Video Chatting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling and Video Chatting?

As you can tell, our relationship is pretty new. Some information, we are both girls and 16 years old. Its been a week, I just want to know when you guys and your SO started to call and video chat so I can gauge a good timeframe to bring it up. Another issue is I have social anxiety and the first call is always so hard for me to accept, I hate awkward silences and such. What did you guys talk about your first time?

Originally posted by scarletjaybird View Post
    As you can tell, our relationship is pretty new. Some information, we are both girls and 16 years old. Its been a week, I just want to know when you guys and your SO started to call and video chat so I can gauge a good timeframe to bring it up. Another issue is I have social anxiety and the first call is always so hard for me to accept, I hate awkward silences and such. What did you guys talk about your first time?
    Every couple is different... some may have talked the first week, others are a month or more in.

If you haven't met irl, and i mean talked on a phone or vid chatted, I would be a little cautious with any info i give out. There st many "bad" people out in the cyber world.
    Talk about what's going on, likes dislikes.. there is an area here that has questions to ask...

Be careful, and do what feels comfortable!

Comment

I honestly don't remember how long it was for us, but it was at least a couple of months as we never decided to be "official" on any particular date (Nov 2 is just the day we started chatting every day). For me, I brought it up when I wanted to. Like I said, we had been chatting awhile, and I thought it would be interesting to talk "face to face." It actually didn't turn out too well as he was pretty much too shy to talk or even show himself, so we switched to audio calls until he got more confident. There is a moral to my story Do it when you want to, and in whatever way you feel most confident. And like sasad said, don't give out everything too fast--take time to build trust and make sure that every thing she says adds up. Best of luck!
      sigpic

Comment

I don't really like being on a phonecall either - so I can understand that anxiety. I waited around 1 month to talk to my SO on a phonecall (Skype). We had been chatting via Skype/email for about 4 weeks - and one day he said to me that he wanted to call me so that he could hear my voice. He said he would call me in 2 mins - so I didn't really have much time to overthink it. Once he called and we started talking - it was fine. The conversation just flowed - we just asked each other about our jobs and where we lived etc (being on two different continents helped - because we had lots of questions for each other about our respective countries). His first language isn't English - so he was also nervous as he thought that he wouldn't be able to understand everything I said - but it was fine. Nervewracking - but fine. I say go for it when you feel ready.

I agree with Sasad - be careful initially about what information you give out. He only had my email address and my first name and I didn't go on cam with him until approx 2 months after we started talking, as I wanted to be careful. Once I had spoken to him on the phone several times, and felt I could trust him, I then finally went on cam with him and it was okay. But I was very, very nervous the first time because I had never video-chatted anyone before in my life. There are great resources on this website about topics to discuss, etc Good luck!

Comment

Once you get more into the relationship, you will find that silences can be quite natural and not uncomfortable at all.
          Met Online: 1998
          Relationship began: January 2017

FIRST MEETING: June 2017
          SECOND MEETING: October 2017

Comment

I think it was about 2 or 3 weeks after we first started talking that we first voice chatted and i'm pretty sure we were discussing like how certain words are said in different accents and i was like hey you know facebook messenger has a call thing so we can hear how we say these words and she was like omg it does???? so i called her and we talked for a little bit and yeah it was nice. we only chatted on messenger by typing for awhile after that until we decided we should both get headsets for the ps3 so we could communicate easier while playing our game and when that happened is when we started to voice chat more. we still only voice chat like once every few weeks but yeah that words for us and video chat is saved for special occasions like birthdays and odd date nights.

Try building up each others confidence by shindig each other silly selfies and such so you won't feel terribly shy when you first video chat. and just sort of suggest maybe voice chatting for even like 10 minutes some time just so you can hear each others voice. Like everyone has said, every couple is different and we all go at different speeds, but introducing the idea of voice chat/video chat slowly is a good way to get started :3
            my girls <3

Josie (SO)
            Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
            Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
            Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
            Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
            Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
            Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
            Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
            All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

I and my former SO video chatted before we got together and it was one of the deciding factors in us confessing because we pretty much saw what the other felt, literally
              But we never felt shy or anything either, so I guess it totally depends on a couple.

EDIT: we have even called each other when we were sick and looked "ugly" af, we were weird.

Just make sure to have video chatted at least once before you meet irl.
              Last edited by C.C.; January 23, 2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X