Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Distance Relationship Struggles

Hello everyone

First post to the forums and first time ever doing something like this! I am 24 years old and my girlfriend is 25. We've been dating for nearly two (2) years and lived in the same city for that entire duration. Six (6) months ago she began post-secondary education for the second time which took her approximately ten (10) hours away from where I live. She wanted to pursue Architecture which obviously keeps her time extremely occupied during school. We made it through her first semester and now she is gone for her second before possibly returning in the summer for 3.5 months. It is likely this trend will continue for at least the next 3-4 years.

To help cope with the distance we have utilized hand-written letters scanned and sent via email, skype, and texting. Obviously because of the intensity of the Architecture program her time to do any of those things is minimal. We discussed that before she went to school and knew that it was likely to happen. I'd like to think that when we were together before school we maintained a very strong, communicative relationship. Not that it has suffered or gotten any less strong now, but more or less been put on hold. I suppose I'm curious as to how other people in my shoes cope with the situation of putting the relationship on hold?

Any recommendations on how to become stronger regarding the fact that my girlfriend isn't able to communicate as much in school. I suppose i should also mention that she is paying well over $100,000 for the schooling so its difficult for her to let go for even a second.

Really excited to hear anyone's thoughts and am happy to answer questions!

Just because you are geographically apart doesnt mean your relationship is on hold as you say. Your relationship is still an active on going situation despite the distance. The days weeks and months still count the same as they would if yall were in a closed distance relationship. My advice is keep busy and communicate as much as possible. Tell eachother about the small & big things of your days& be as understanding as possible that life can sometimes get a bit stressful outside of the LDR. Most of all have hope & faith that you can get through the distance and became stronger than ever.
    CLOSED THE DISTANCE FINALLY ON MAY 6, 2017

Comment

Working...
    X