An other technical problem about Skype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An other technical problem about Skype

Hi all, I'm running into another technical problem about Skype and I wonder if someone knows how this works.

So now I'm using Skype to talk to my boyfriend everyday, and it confuses me. Sometimes I can see this orange little sign showing up in the corner of my screen "XXX is online", does it always mean he just logs in? This happens sometimes at 10am his time which means he's difinitely not at home using his computer. And today I called him (he was online at that time), no answer, and after a few seconds his status changed to "Offline with call forwarding", so I called his mobile as I thought he must be around his computer, he answered and sounded sleepy, and then he told me he was sleeping!

His computer is on most of the time, he doesn't really turn it off, he just leaves it there most of the time when he goes to bed. Sometimes I "tuck him in" so I'll see him fall asleep and then end the call. Sometimes he's "online" the whole night, sometimes he's offline after a couple of hours. I don't know if he gets up in the middle of the night to log off or it just logs off automatically when the laptop is out of battery?

Not that this is very important, but it's just confusing and I'd like to know how it works. Thanks!

Sometimes Skype delays online/offline messages for me as well. Does your guy have a slow connection? And the program may sign him back in or if his computer restarts and he has it set to automatically log in that may be the case.

Comment

I don't think his connection is slow, it's at least faster than mine. Yeah, he may just log in automatically. But that can't explain the log-off issues.

Comment

It may just be the fact his computer's on, then. In the past when I used it with a friend and her SO, she would randomly be logging in and out without ever touching the computer, but the computer would always be on. My guess is it's a glitch but you could always try updating/re-installing it and see if that makes any difference.

Comment

The orange little thing just means that he comes online, but that his status is set to away.
          Skype is p2p (peer-to-peer) software, just like BitTorrent, LimeWire, etc.. So the connection can definitely drop randomly, and then he goes offline and comes online seconds later again.
          I don't know about call forwarding; I've never used it.

Comment

Working...
          X