I keep finding it hard to trust my girlfriend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep finding it hard to trust my girlfriend

I love her, with everything I've got. I've been asked a couple times by attractive people but I can't see them as nothing but friends; She's everything I want and everything I need, but for a good while now I feel like she doesn't feel the same way.

There's a ton of issues with our relationship, and I'm truly trying my hardest to fix them all. For starters, one thing that's prominent on my side is jealousy.

To clear things up first, my girlfriend and I call about twice a week for only around 1-2 hours, and while the both of us would love longer times, it can't happen due to several reasons that restrict us into doing so. Otherwise, we'd be calling each other every single day. The only reason why I mention this is to highlight the fact that our relationship, for the past while has heavily relied on texting, and we text each other a lot. While I do prefer calling her, texting is the best we can do right now and I try to make every conversation last.

I don't mean to be stereotypical but typically I find that most girls in a relationship tend to be the talkative ones, as girls naturally have more to talk about - Gossip, latest trends, fads, life, and overall just things they all need to get off their chest. And my girlfriend used to be like that, there was a lot of energy involved in our conversation and it mainly radiated out of her. However for the past few months now it's been mostly me initiating the conversations, desperately trying to find new topics, clinging on to her (Which I understand isn't a good thing in a relationship, which is ANOTHER issue on top of this mess)

In her defense, she's very on top of all her school work - Being a 96 student in one of the toughest schools in America really does show that about her, which sadly means that communication between us can be little at times as she does have education for priority. And I respect that, I really do. But when it's late night, when she's done her work and I'm done mine, that's where it bothers me.

The conversations are dry, and essentially just shitty. I try my best to talk about new and exciting things, yet it seems to always die out with her late and dull replies. By dull, I mean replies that don't contribute to the conversation, replies like "aww" or "LOL" or "omg noo" or things like that. That, along with the responses being late when we're both preoccupied with literally nothing, starts to bother me because my mind starts screaming at me with all these assumptions.

One thing more I should clear up before I continue is that we've NEVER fought - Which I guess is unhealthy, but idk we just don't seem the type to conflict. Sometimes I do get mad at her and she does get mad at me, but we don't really express that towards each other and in a few days, it's gone. I guess the point of this is to highlight the fact that it's difficult talking communicating about things that bother us, I guess in fear of something happening. I don't know, it's just hard and I swear it feels like a barrier every time I try and address an issue. That being said, let's move on:

Given those things I talked about, with late, boring and dull replies given from her, I start to make assumptions. And suffice to say, I'm not proud of these assumptions - In fact I feel absolutely horrible afterwards, horrible and guilty. Yet in the moment I'm full of jealousy and occasionally anger based off assumptions that may not even be true -

I'm always afraid that the reasons behind crappy conversations may be due to the fact that she's distracted or occupied with someone else in that moment - And by someone else I mean guys. I want to say I trust her, I really do, but I've been finding it so hard to recently. My mind keeps screaming at me with all these assumptions, that she's having a much more juicier or energetic conversation with someone else as opposed to me. I've tried so, so hard to not let it bother me but it does, it nags me all the time and I hate it about myself. I don't know WHAT to do to improve that about me.

I've addressed the issue with her a couple times, and as said earlier, that's extremely hard for me to do- It sucks not being able to be fully transparent to each other due to whatever fear may be lingering but anyway, when we talk, she apologizes like crazy. She says she's sorry, and she says she doesn't know just what to say to me, but it's so hard for me to believe that when I compare conversations of mine as opposed to someone else and see a noticeable difference. I get mad about it and I just don't know what I can do to stop it.

The only solution I can think of is for myself to just become more occupied - By being more occupied I'm not always focused on her 100% of the time and thus I'm not too available to the point where I expect conversations. I feel like I should talk to more people, start doing more things with my life, but I'm scared that even THEN I'll still be bothered by late and crappy responses from my girlfriend. Thanks everyone!

Hi A few questions: How long have you been together? How often do you meet/have you met? Do you have a plan to close the distance in the future? From what you write, it seems that you both are college-age, is that correct? Is she your first girlfriend? I ask these questions because I don't want to make any assumptions, but the answers would slightly change some of the advice I would give here.

Given what you've said here so far, it seems like she is checking out of the relationship. Is it too far gone? Only you can know that, but if you want to try to save this I think you need to mix it up. Only texting all the time can get stale, and it can be hard to a maintain a connection that way. You say you chat on the phone, do you video chat? Send letters?

Comment

I just want to point out something here. You say you're scared that she isn't talking as much because someone else has captured her attention and you're scared it's a guy. Has she told you she's made any new friends recently? even if she hasn't told you, she may well have met a friend online or irl and is getting to know them. There's no harm in this of course, but as you grow up you're going to realise that different people grab your attention at different times in your life. My SO for example made a really good friend with someone online last year and because she was so busy spending time with this new friend and her friend group I did notice she was a bit less lively in our chats/distracted. Hell i was even a bit jealous that they were playing games together as that's the thing that I viewed as our special thing we did together. After realising that she was busy with her friends I decided maybe I should spend some time with mine, so I did. A few weeks later everything was back to pretty much how it was before, she just needed some time to put her energy into another conversation with other people.

If your problem is that she isn't putting as much energy into conversations with you and there doesn't seem to be a reason for it, you both need t try think of a way to spice things up. Answering interesting questions is something SO and I like doing and it's even something we spent a good like 3 hours doing when I was there visiting her last. It gives you both something to talk about which you're both interested in as often when you try to create conversation one person is way more involved than the other and it doesn't work for a good conversation.

You're right in saying you need to do more things though. Your SO should enhance your life, not be your life and by constantly waiting for her to message she is your life. Spend time with friends and make plans but make sure to keep the times you normally speak to your SO available. Plan a date night every week that you plan with her and sure you're both free, but don't not make plans in case you miss the chance to speak to her. Live your life for you, not her.
      my girls <3

Josie (SO)
      Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
      Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
      Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
      Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
      Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
      Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
      Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
      All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

I feel like I can relate to your SO. Sometimes, I lose energy chatting with my SO, especially if I'm tired, multitasking, watching videos, lost in my own mind, or not in the mood. And yeah, we text as much as possible, so often there is literally nothing to talk about. (We've gone so far as to have conversations when there's nothing to talk about about how we can still text when there's nothing to talk about; I'm sure others can relate.)
        When I'm not putting a lot of energy into my conversation, it really really ticks me off to have my SO assume it's because I'm talking to someone else, especially one of my other (platonic) guy friends. It ticks me off that he wouldn't believe me when I said I'm just doing such and such. So please, for the same of your relationship, stop assuming even if you don't voice your assumptions (it will probably still come out in your demeanor).
        Another thought. Your girlfriend is not a dog. You can't "stop" her behavior just because it makes you mad. She has the right to act howsoever she wants, and if that's not enough for you, you have the right to move on.
        Out of mild curiosity, how does a relationship even survive without free-flowing transparency? I'm no expert, but maybe getting comfortable with each other would allow your conversations to flow easier.
        Best of luck!
        sigpic

Comment

What a weird generalization that girls talk more. It has nothing to do with the gender and everything with their personality and honestly, in the beginning of a relationship you sacrifice that sleep, you sacrifice those few minutes to yourself to be with that person you really like, but once you get more comfortable, the more pressing matters get more attention. You say she's in a difficult school and trying to maintain good grades - well good grades don't come easily to people who don't sleep or sacrifice time they could be studying to talk.

I honestly think you are exaggerating. If you guys are still calling each other every week twice for 2 hours and she never misses it, then maybe she just doesn't like texting that much or maybe it's a hassle she doesn't want to get into. Once my husband and I started talking on TeamSpeak, we didn't want to type to each other, it was just so inconvenient.
          Does she talk to you normally when you voice /video? chat? Is she interested in what you're talking about? If yes, then don't worry about things, she sincerely might be busy and doesn't want to talk about things ALL the time.

In a healthy relationship there needs to be comfort in being quiet and not talking. You can't fill every minute with words.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
          First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
          Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
          Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
          Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
          Married: 1/24/2015
          Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

If you try and spend every waking moment talking to your SO, you're gonna get burned out very quickly. Striking a balance is imperative if you want your relationship to survive.

Comment

Working...
            X