How to get the visa process started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get the visa process started

First, I am so excited to have found this website. This is my first LDR, and I feel alone when it comes to talking about my relationship and experiences because no one around me gets it.
    My boyfriend lives in Morocco and we are ready for him move here to America. The language barrier is a huge factor when it comes to things such as the visa process. I have no idea where to start. Does he do the application in his country or do I do the application for him here? He's absolutely amazing and I can't wait to finally be together. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated and we thank you for your help and time.

It all varies by country and type of visa...your best bet is visajourney.com and other similar sites. It's all laid out on US government sites too, but they can be confusing sometimes so looking at websites designed to help people along the way (there's a lot of them that explain visa processes) are a good source. If you're not able to understand everything by yourself, there are immigration lawyers to help (for a nominal *wink* fee). Lawyers also can also make sure you do everything correct so it's more likely you dont get denied due to incorrect paperwork. Visa journeys can and usually are long, frustrating, expensive processes, and don't always end the way you want. Arm yourself with sufficient knowledge and funds. Good luck!
    sigpic

Comment

There are a couple different ways for him to come to the US:
      - Join the Visa Lottery - https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ It is not guaranteed that he will get a visa, but might as well try. Haven't read up if you ahve to pay for it or not, but it's one of the possibilities.

- Come here under a Work Visa - your SO would have to possess a sought after skill and then an employer has to file for your SO to come work for him. I don't know much about those visas, you need to look that up if your SO has that kind of skill. I heard it's quite difficult to find employers to file for you since they have to prove that the person they are hiring from overseas is better than any American applicant.

- Marriage based visas - you have to apply for your SO and you are the one who has to prove that you have enough money to support both of you if your SO was to live with you, since one of the visa types won't let you work until you get a work permit.
      There are two different ones:
      Fiance/e Visa: You file while your SO is overseas, you are engaged and after you go through the process and are given the visa, you have 90 days to get married and file for adjustment of status.
      Spouse Visa: You have to legally get married and then, again, you file for your spouse to be with you in the US.

I recommend reading these guides:

https://www.visajourney.com/content/guides/

Part of it is on you, part of it is on your SO.
      When it comes to the Fiance Visa, I went through it (as well as some other members on this forum) and I'm happy to share my experience with it!
      There are some members here who went through the Spouse Visa and they might know more about that!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
      Married: 1/24/2015
      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Congratulations on your decision to live together! It is a great feeling when you mutually accept it's the right time to do so.
        I realise it's expensive, but we'll be using an immigration lawyer ourselves. I just wonder if, like us, it will take the stress out of it as you have that added language barrier?!

Best,
        Met Online: 1998
        Relationship began: January 2017

FIRST MEETING: June 2017
        SECOND MEETING: October 2017

Comment

Since your bf lives so far away, I imagine that the easiest route is to get married in his country and then do spousal visa from there. Another option could be to apply for fiance visa. You may look at the different timelines in the helping pages that the others listed. You apply online on both ends, but he will probably need to get an interview in the nearest embassy, and you will have to provide papers of how much you earn.

I know that for us, it would def be quicker to get married in his country (the fiance visa to my country is at least 15 months), but then again some say that the immigration process can be easier if you get married in the country where you plan to live. I know some have the wedding party in one country and get legally married in another etc.

If you can find some national forums or groups (for the US, Marocco or both) there might be someone there you recently went through the "visa journey" and can help you. But anyhow, you most likely will have to get married if he is going to move to you. Are you ready for this step? Have you met his family? Has he met yours? Do you make enough money to support him if he comes? Can he start an English class to ease his journey?
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
          X