I feel like I am thinking too much...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like I am thinking too much...

I've only been in this relationship with my boyfriend for a few months, and we agreed to take things slow. (this is also my first relationship) However, whenever I think about him I feel really happy and start imagining what it would be like once we meet or living together. So my thoughts start running away with me, and I feel like I'm creating false expectations for us.
    I'm someone who gets addicted pretty easily and usually I am pretty good at keeping my desires in check, but I am having a difficult time with this. What ways can I control my feelings? Or am I just over-reacting and this is pretty normal?

I think there's nothing wrong with getting overly excited about a new intimate romantic relationship. After all, this relationship has the potential of becoming a positive, motivating, life altering and supportive part of you. The trick is not to get love confused with all the other things that you are going through, so I would suggest that you educate yourself on the topic a little bit. There's a really nice article titled "The Science of Love - Your Amazing Brain", which I reference quite often when talking about this topic. Personally I'm of the opionion that you shouldn't start making a lot of promises or future plans until a little later. Have you met your SO? I haven't, and I know that that's going to be a pretty big deal.

I write fantasies with my SO. All sorts of fantasies, which also include living together and discovering some perfectly ordinary everyday things about each other. The thing is that both of us recognize that these are just fantasies. They work as a healthy outlet for tensions, expectations and such - but they are not the same thing as reality. As intimate as our daily communication is, there's an understanding that when we finally get an opportunity to meet each other, it's going to be really different.

My mind is starting to fill up with all sorts of questions about how a first meeting is supposed to be like, so I'll just leave with you with this thought: feel what you feel, but don't get too caught up in any particular moment. There's always going to be many more wonderful feelings coming in the future. Instead find a healthy outlet, whatever that might be for you. Let your emotions flow through you without obsessing over your relationship.

To reference a popular culture quote: observe everything, admire nothing.
    Last edited by Theurgist; July 17, 2017, 12:58 PM.
    I take her with me everywhere I go, every day of my life.

Comment

Working...
    X