Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I feel lonely when my boyfriend leaves for the week.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel lonely when my boyfriend leaves for the week.

My boyfriend is a Corporal in the British army and his job obviously entails him having to work away from home.
    We've been together 6 months officially and we're as loved up as any new couple are. But the truth is, I'm struggling to cope with his lifestyle. Obviously he's used to having to leave every Sunday night for work and be prepared to maybe stay at work for 2/3 weeks but I'm not. He's had a previous serious relationship so is used to leaving someone he loves back home. But I'm not. He's just had a months leave and we stayed together every night. When he's home on weekends we stay together. We don't leave each other's side.
    This has meant we don't see our friends hardly ever. Therefore when he goes back to camp I just feel at an all time low.
    I've honestly never felt as lonely in my life when he's back at camp. I cry everytime he goes. I hate saying bye. But he's never bothered. Or at least never seems it. Probably because he's had this lifestyle a long time. To me it's new.
    I knew what it entailed before I became his girlfriend but still it's hard. The more I spend time with him, the more I love him and then the harder the goodbye gets.

I don't know how I will cope when he has to go on exercise for a month and then away on tour for 6 months. To him it's fine we're going to work. But for me it's going to be one of the toughest things I'll ever have to face.

Is anyone else out there like this? Does your army boyfriend seem bothered? I need someone to talk to who understands my feelings.

Here is advice from my own experience that I offer to folks who get caught up in waiting for the next text from their partner:

Are you a student? If yes, go to school. Focus on school.
    Are you gainfully employed? If yes, go to work and be present at work.
    Have friends? If yes, spend time with them. Enjoy yourself.
    Have hobbies? If yes, spend time on your hobbies.
    Have family? If yes, spend time with them.
    Have interests? If yes, spend time on those things you are interested in.
    Have internet? Read about the stages of relationships so that you will be knowledgeable about how relationships grow.
    Exercised today? If not, go for a walk or jog or bike ride. Get active.
    If you answered no to all of the above, change your life so that you can answer yes to some of these things.

Be a whole person so that you can be a whole person in a relationship. Become a priority and have a great relationship with yourself. Do not rely on your partner to complete you. Be a complete person whose partner is a positive addition to your life.

Comment

Honestly that's the best advice anyone could give you.
      Write to him everyday in a journal.
      Look on Pinterest for LDR ideas.
      The time you have away should be spent on YOU bettering all the things you don't do when he's here.
      I am an Army veteran; I've been the one left at home and the one who has been to war. For me it was easier to be away bc I was in my element, something that I trained for. Being home, waiting and the unknown was harder. Stay strong and keep yourself busy.

Comment

Working...
      X