Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do plane tickets have to be so damn expensive?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do plane tickets have to be so damn expensive?!

Ugh, isn't it the most annoying thing when your finally ready to meet in person, to tell everyone about the relationship you've kept secret for so long, to take that huge step...and then you can't afford it!! Alex and I planned to meet this summer, the plan was for him to come to England to meet me here. We're both ready and his parents already know and are relatively happy about it, but, of course, we can't afford it. £700 for a plane ticket?! How is a 17 year old guy meant to buy that! So *sigh* it looks like our plan have been postponed by an entire year by summertime next year he'll have gotten together the funds as by then he'll be able to have a job. I would give him the money, but I have even less than he does. My bank account has a whole £10.06 in it..woo...so basically he's taken extra classes in school this year, so that he can take less next year in order to have the time for a job. I don't want to put extra stress on him, and I'd rather travel to see him, but him coming here is the only way it'll work. Its the only way my parents will agree to it, and its the only way anyway because by next summer although he'll have started his gap year, I'll be leaving secondary school and going straight onto 6th form with only a few weeks gap.

Oh the joys of being a teenager -__-

Sorry, just needed to vent.

Vent away! ^^ Many of us here feel your pain.
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

i know it's so annoying! i wish i could just fly to Aus for a weekend ... but firstly, we don't have the money to and secondly it takes 2 days to get there... i'm lucky cause my parents are very supportive (more of me than the relationship) so i am able to fly to aus once a year... but T is still paying off his 2008's travel to europe ;/
      i suggest - keep looking, sometimes you can get great offers (like last years instead of paying 1000pounds, i only paid 600 with etihad hot deals)... and also look at the flights well ahead, because its cheaper to book them first minute. or really at the LAST moment. moreover, does he have to fly in summer ? maybe he has sort of like winter break or easter ? (sorry i have no idea whats the academic year like in US)... or even if he could take couple of weeks off some time during the year, that would be cutting costs too, to fly in the low season...

also, you're pretty lucky to have him in NY and you in London, he'll be getting on one of the most popular connections (meaning cheaper ones). i looked for you (i do that for my friends a lot, plus i may be in need of a flight to US soon myself) and you can find NY-LDN flights for 350-400pounds ... i guess thats easier to save than 700. but remember, he'll also need the money in uk ... even if he stays with you and doesnt have to pay for bed/food.

good luck!

Comment

That air ticket looks way overpriced! You can try to look at cheaper sites, like www.cheapoair.com or www.cheapticket.com there are also students sites like www.studentuniverse.com with discounts for students. But another thing, now you are looking at the summer prices, and we are still a little too far away, normally the prices go down, when I go to Europe I buy my ticket like a month or a month and a half before I fly out cause it's cheaper. Also sometimes it's better to fly in the middle of the week than on weekends. And you have to pay attention that you are not doing the trip on high season, maybe you can try to acomodate it around those dates. And look, or subscribe to travel alerts that let you when the prices are cheaper. If I were you I would keep on looking and don't loose hope, it's almost certain that the price will drop.

Best wishes!

Comment

There are some great suggestions above, but I feel your pain! My bf was supposed to come visit from Brazil in January, but the tickets were $1300, eek! He couldn't afford it. so we had to postpone until at least summer I know it can be so frustrating, but stay strong! There will come a time when you finally do get to see each other and it'll be worth the wait!

Comment

It's terrible saving up for tickets, luckily the prices aren't that bad for me and my SO but it's still a decent amount (normally around 300 dollars a trip). We take turns paying/visiting though so it's not all that bad. Good luck with your problem, be patient and things will happen =)

Comment

*hugs* I know how you feel. For us, the plane tickets cost about 600 euros (around $830/£525) - the only reason why we're able to afford it is because our parents support our relationships and pay a part of it.

I searched some NYC-London flights on cheaptickets.com and it looked like the flights were rather cheap in March ($550/£350) but the cost jumps up in the summer ($820/£517 in July). Is there any way for you to meet some other time than in summer, or is school in the way? I couldn't find flights as high as £700, though - what site where you using?
              Last edited by Taija; February 4, 2010, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Yeah definitely don't stop looking just cause the flights you saw were expensive! Try different sites, different dates and think about not bringing any baggage with him, that saves up a little too. Like everyone's said, see if he could fly during the spring rather than in the summer cause that's when the prices are high. The prices can change as quickly as overnight so just keep looking regularly and I'm sure you could find a solution!

Determination it's all it takes
                Well, determination and money

Comment

Look in the middle of the night too, I found the cost went down, sometimes by half, and IIRC Wednesdays are supposed to be the very cheapest?

It does suck though. Rane and I could afford exactly two trips. They were both long, but now they are over until he moves, and that is sooooo depressing.

Comment

I share the pain.. although I am incrediably grateful to easyjet! Even with that though.. its expensive, a good £60-80 a trip as a minimum and around holidays is more than that..
                    for christmas, Jesper surprised me with tickets to denmark and they cost £200!

Comment

Once my friend scored tickets to San Francisco for $199 NZD... that's usually a $1500 flight I think. Look around for deals or midnight specials!

Comment

Thanks for all the support guys! And i meant $700, not £'s, sorry, silly me =P

The problem with coming at other times of year is he wont be able to stay as long. Christmas is only 2 weeks for both of us, as is easter, and I work through both of them doing volunteer work and continuing my school work (I actually sometimes go into school during the holidays so I can keep working- now THATS commitment! XD) so it wouldn't really be worth him coming. Although my summer is only 5 weeks, I do a lot less work during it, and his summer is more than 2 months long, so its much better for him to come then! I'll keep looking around for cheaper flights, my dad used to fly ALL the time and has some connections, so I'm sure he'll be able to help me sort something out. Thankfully we don't have to worry about baggage and stuff cause Alex is definatley the kind of guy that can fit his life in a suitcase! The biggest problem is its just so darn daunting!! The whole saving-up-for-tickets makes it so...official! Scary, but still very exciting, haha. I also think its very difficult for Alex because, unlike me, he's never left his home country. I've been all over the world and I'm used to travelling, but I don't think he's even been on a plane before bless him! He's also really confused about getting a passport, the whole idea is pretty alien to him. Of course, I'm no help because I've had my own passport since I was 5 so I have no idea what the system of getting one is.

Comment

I really hope you guys can get a cheap ticket, it is sooooooo great to see your SO after a long time, amazing! And about the inexperience about flying around and the passport issue, you should tell him that the first time it will be interesting, like all of of us but that he will get the grip of it soon. I was like you guys, I am an experienced traveler, and my boy only drove thru Europe (not having to experience crossing border lines). So all the time I was with him (from the distance of course) telling him about how normally the procedure goes about the passport and the flight, immigration, tsa and etc. And then when he came, for him it was a bit easier. For your boy to get the passport it won't be any problem. He only have to get an appointment at the postal office, or a passport agency, and then only fill the paper, bring the picture (which you can get them even at Walgreens, with a solid color shirt and no accesories) and pay the money, now it's I think around a 100 dollars. Is not a stressful event at all, as they don't have to interview you, you only have to make an oath saying that everything that you wrote in there is the truth). Make him feel safe about that, he will make it in a blink of an eye! And then again, I really hope you guys can get to meet soon!

Best wishes!

Comment

I know how that feels. I live in Germany and when I want to visit my SO (she lives in New Zealand) I have to pay around 1.700 EUR for my flight. It's giving me a headache.

Comment

*old topic is old* If anyone is or has an SO who is flying from the US, I recommend priceline because they give you the option to name your own price. 2 years ago I went to canada (to fly back to continue my schooling) and I got my ticket for $100 because that was the price I named and it was accepted.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Working...
                              X