Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

Hello everyone,

I met a wonderful woman online who lives in Bogota, Colombia. We have be talking for about 7 weeks. I am flying down to meet her in 10 days for the very first time. I was wondering if I should bring a small gift? If others have, any suggestions on a gift? She is 33 years old.

Thanks in advance!

John

Welcome.
    I would avoid giving a ring or so, that's too soon after 2 months. But you know her better than we do.
    Why not a bouquet of good old-fashioned flowers?
    Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Well, the ring wasn't mentioned by OP - if he did, I would agree with your statement, Erwin.

I would suggest something which is characteristic of your country, or anything else which isn't necessarily big or expensive (a necklace for example). It's easier if you know what she likes.

Comment

Originally posted by erwin1973 View Post
        Welcome.
        I would avoid giving a ring
        That's a random comment and how did that even entered your mind?

I would bring something very traditional from your country. Chocolate, necklace, scarf etc.

Comment

Does she drink?

If so, expensive alcohol :3

Comment

Originally posted by C.C. View Post
            Does she drink?

If so, expensive alcohol :3
            If so, delicious alcohol.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
            Married: 1/24/2015
            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by snow View Post
              If so, delicious alcohol.
              Yess, I meant that basically, I just couldn't express "the alcohol that's good for gifts" better

I am a tasty-alcohol-drinker myself. I don't know how people drink cheap/bad vodkas or beers and get anything out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by C.C. View Post
                Yess, I meant that basically, I just couldn't express "the alcohol that's good for gifts" better

I am a tasty-alcohol-drinker myself. I don't know how people drink cheap/bad vodkas or beers and get anything out of it.
                People who are drinking the cheap/bad stuff are either college students, or alcoholics who are just looking to get as drunk as possible without spending a fortune.

OP:
                A small gift would be super cute! I agree that you should bring something that's unique to your country, city, etc. When I met up with a friend from Belfast in London, I brought him a few things that were a little over the top USA, like a baseball with all the US presidents on it.

Comment

cheap is not always bad and bad is not always cheap

Comment

I support Lio idea :

When you SO live in another country, honestly imo the best gift you can make is a specialty from your country.
                    Im french, my SO is indonesian, i brought her Violets based products like candies, perfums, candles, bathing salts etc.. (specialties of my home town)..
                    (i totally ditched the idea of bringing her a camember (stinky french signature cheese) as i may have started a tragedy during the flight)

She loved it by its simplicity and the fact that i litteraly bring a piece of my hometown with me.
                    PS : Her familly keep harassing me to brough them more violet candies now haha.

Alcohol and such i don't advice it.
                    First, it can potential cause trouble at the border. (colombia is a highlty corrup country, the same as indonesia for me, basicly, governement officials like police, border controls etc, do what they want)
                    Second, alcohol is on sale in ANY countries of the world.
                    And its totally common and unimaginative present.

If you plan to go serious on her, kill two birds with one stone, bring an original present (like specialty of your country/town), add a nice story to it (like the origins of these products), and share them with your SO and her familly (if you meet them).
                    You are winning your SO heart and her familly too.
                    Last edited by Fedorya; December 7, 2017, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X