Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are breaks in an LDR ever good, or do they always lead to a break-up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are breaks in an LDR ever good, or do they always lead to a break-up?

Just want to know what people's opinions are on the topic.

In any relationship, close or LD, is it ever a good idea to take breaks if the relationship is strained? Or will a break always lead to a break-up?

With LDR's it seems like it may be detrimental to take a break, since communication is about all that we have to keep things going and silence wouldn't help matters. But maybe sometimes a break is still needed, just to have a breather?

In my personal opinion. If a break means that you stay exclusive, just decrease / pause from communication for a while, it can work and I think it's even needed at times. However, if it involves a break from a relationship, dating others and stuff, it's already a breakup.

Also consider. Even in former case what it solves is your individual lives and stress, gives you a breather. But your relationship stays the same, including all the issues you have had.

Comment

In short: a break doesn't solve the problems arising in a relationship...
      Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

I think taking a break in LDR is very tricky. Problems need to be solved through discussion and hell, being miles away means that we are on a "technical" break. We can lead independent lives, go out with our friends, have some alone time, cutting down on communication is what? Think things over? Tricky...

Comment

I don't think LDR break is automatically a break up. Depends ont he reasons. If the reason is that you want to hook up with someone, then that's not an aswer. In LDR i feellike you are more in contact compared to CD and you spend a lot more time thinking about the partner. I felt like in LDR I'm thinking baout the future all the time and how my life will be affected with closing the distance etc. sometimes it gets overwhelmins and being without contact for some time might be helpful. In CD the partner is there so less contact is necessary since physical contact is present.

Comment

Agree with Rezie. I think sometimes it's okay to take a break to step back and see how much the relationship matters to you. Flipside though, if breaks happen every other day, the relationship is probably pretty toxic to both members.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erwin1973 View Post
              In short: a break doesn't solve the problems arising in a relationship...
              Personally I don't think breaks work in any type of relationship. Breaks in a LDR are ridiculous as you are pretty much having a break all the time, not seeing that person for large amounts of time.

Comment

In my personal experience :

If you in the first place need to take a break in the relationship, something was already wrong.
                If you and your SO live your life in a healty way (spending time on activities/friends/work etc...) and text/call/videocall the right amount to make both of you feel comfortables, closes and happy, then neither of you will never ask for a break.

One of my ex LDR asked for a break (total break), it ended in a break-up and she became an Ex. (we was too much on each others).
                My current LDR wich is successfull as we are about to marry, we never asked for a break, on contrary, we did everythings in moderations while apart from each others, and fully lived our life on our side.

My answer is, a break may not mean break-up in LDR, but its a sign of a currently unhealthy or poorly managed relationship.
                Break = trouble going on over or under the surface.

Comment

Working...
                X