supporting from a distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

supporting from a distance

As the title might already suggest, me and my boyfriend have this one problem.
    Both of us suffer from a mental illness, depression, to be more specific.
    We try our best to help each other out by reminding the other one to take their pills or to make sure that we attend our appointments.

The last few weeks however, it has become harder to help each other out.
    Through some personal matters, this time of the year is especially hard on him.

My question, how do you guys support your partner through tough times?
    How do you calm them down when they are crying their eyes out or how do you lift their mood when they hit rock bottom?

While my boyfriend does not have depression and I don't either, we do have to support each other in other matters eg. Family issues, career issues. Sometimes it's hard because you feel like you don't want to talk about something. You can cut each other out. I try to make sure he knows I am there and I want to understand what he is going through. You can't calm them down with traditional comfort. I try to be reassuring and there by listening. When I am trying to cheer him up, I pick stuff that he likes to perk him up eg. Funny pictures, dirty pictures, encouraging his other interests, little surprises (send him pizza to work is a fun one!) I mean it has to be personal, and so don't know your relationship quirks. Just make sure you both are keeping open.

Comment

Hi!

Depression really is one of those every day battles, but some of the strongest people live with it. That's definitely something to remember. What helps me is being surrounded by the people who love me. For me, I like to be as distracted as possible. Having said that, while my LDR comrade doesn't experience clinical depression, he tends to withdraw and want to be alone during harder times. Some people want to talk, and others just simply want to know that you're there for them. I'm not sure which would be best for your SO; I think you'll know that more than anyone else. I definitely think that you should just consistently be there for each other. Let him know that you're thinking of him with a picture or a video, either of yourself or something cute you see online. At the very least, you can remind each other that you get it. You're both growing through the same battle, but you're not going through it alone.

You mentioned that this specific time of year is especially hard on him, so I think it may be worth reminding him that this time of year is only temporary. I think it would be nice to have things to look forward to together I'm sorry that I don't have an absolute answer for you, but I hope some of this helped a little.

Comment

Working...
      X