how a meat thermometer can start a serious conversation :p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how a meat thermometer can start a serious conversation :p

So the other night, my SO and I were going through the registry for his best friend's wedding next weekend, trying to find a gift that we could send from the two of us. You know, they had the most random stuff on there, which I know they will NEVER use, and a very hideous china set, but we won't go there, I mean $140 for ONE KNIFE?! crazy people! I digress... so I told my SO we first had to buy them something nice on there, so I picked out a silver photoframe for them. Then I knew my SO was itching to get them one of the most random things on there, so I suggested getting the meat thermometer too. LOL it was so funny, I don't know why they want one as they never cook, but whatevs, it's their wedding!

Then we started talking about what we would have on our registry, just to be random. I chose lightsaber chopsticks and magnetic note pads, as I am such a nerd My SO suggested just to annoy his Mom we should ask for an industrial-sized box of condoms silly boy. But this conversation got suddenly more serious!

He asked me when I would think of getting married! and as it turns out, we we're on the same page, which is nice I had exactly the same timescale as him- a little bit after I move out there, with enough time to sift through all the legal visa business. The thing is, earlier I would have normally freaked out talking about this, but I felt oddly calm about the whole thing. I mean, I've looked at him and thought "I'm going to marry you one day" but having it all out in the open is something completely different.

We then went on to discuss babies and timescale for that, we agreed on 2, possibly 3 and at least 1 before I'm 30 (as I am a nerdy scientist and read journals on the risks of having kids waaaaay later, i should stop reading, I scare myself way to often.), but after I'm out of permanent education.

I could not believe afterward how we went from sending joke meat thermometers to actually making some of the most important decisions we will ever make in our lives! I don't know how I feel about it at all. It's not like a bad thing, it's a mixture of all these amazing emotions and thoughts at the same time, makes me feel odd and excited! sorry I rambled about nothing, I'm just making good of my good mood before it deteriorates once school starts monday

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
    <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
    The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
    <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
    <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
    Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
    Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

I love to talk about "our wedding" Even though he hasn't proposed yet, its still so much fun to think about the future. I always tell him that its easy to see a future with him. Its an awesome feeling!

Comment

Love how convos can take a different path!
      NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

It's funny what can end up sparking those sort of conversations. I hope you got the meat thermometer, and this'll be a great story to tell your kids. "Your dad decided to marry me/talk about marriage as we bought a meat thermometer."

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

That thread title is awesome! Haha
          That made me laugh

It's great to hear you're on the same page about things, they are like you said the most important things in your life and it's such a relief to hear that the other person feels the same way you do - therefore it feels nice and amazing to talk about it instead of getting nervous and anxious...
          Btw I want babies too before I'm 30 for the same reasons you do: I'm paranoid about having them at an older age in case something goes wrong since my first pregnancy didn't go without problems and I was very young so there's always a fear at the back of my mind it'll only get worse the second time around and the older I get...

Although I know it's probably not true at all

Comment

awe Nicole =D this makes me smile. I totally get it, whenever baby starts talking about "our family" and "our future" I get all ******edly excited about everything
            Met: 1.20.09 (At School)
            Starting Dating: 5.22.09
            Been an LDR since: 8.17.10 (3 hours distance)
            Last Time I saw my SO: 10.02.10
            Next time I will see my SO: 10.14.10

Comment

Such a cute story! I love having silly turned serious conversations!

Comment

That story made my afternoon =) So cute! It's good to talk about it in a non-pressuring way. You both know what you want, and are able to agree on things. It's also great that you guys are figuring this out BEFORE you get married. Sounds like you have a very tight relationship; you're a good example couple!
                My SO and I once started a conversation on nuclear weapon policy by talking about cucumbers! Go figure.

As far as kids - my Mom was 38 when she had me. I would extend the age limit to 40 in the general female population This generation is much healthier and takes better care of themselves, and back in the day they were poppin' out kids well into their 50's! Just thought I would ease some of the fears about that.

Comment

Working...
                X