Meeting for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting for the first time

Hello everyone! I'm Melissa, a 17-year-old girl from Norway. I'm meeting my LD boyfriend summer 2019. He's 20 and lives in Australia. since I'm from Europe, my English isn't perfect. I don't know every word. and I'm an extremely shy person so yea im wondering how can i start talking to him when we meet? I know it will be alright, i just don't know how to start. we have skyped a few times but i always get scared if i say something wrong. any advice? also, what should i do when i meet him at the airport?

If you barely speak English and you get along fine and love each other, you have nothing to worry about
    In my opinion, I wouldnt think so much about what to say, and just let things happen. Both of you will probably hug and maybe kiss before you even say anything! That's the ice breaker and you won't be scared of saying anything wrong.
    However, to keep conversations long and deep when you are with him, I'd advise trying to speak to him every day on Skype, phone, facetime or whatever app you use. Gradually your English will get better
    Trust me I have a thick English accent very different from the stereotypical accent. My SO kept mistaking what I was saying, and when I met her family they thought I was speaking a different language! If you struggle at understanding him, ask him to slow down. Any words that you don't understand, translate it on Google. Honestly don't worry. He doesn't mind if your English isn't good and he will help you as much as he can, trust me

Comment

Just reading your post I think your English level is perfectly fine... of course writing and talking is not the same thing.

The point about languages is not being shy about it and just use them. You don't need to be perfect... in fact thinking you need to be perfect will prevent you from actually improving, because you'll feel afraid to speak and will over analyse all the mistakes you make.

My ex wife studied 1 year in a French speaking university (and got a degree) to improve her French but she (and still is) so perfectionist about speaking a language that she actually doesn't really speak it enough and her level of the language has dropped dramatically. Me I spoke only high school French but started working in Paris. And while my colleagues would laugh at me and tell me "I spoke French like a Spanish cow" I kept at it, making mistake after mistake after mistake... but in the end I'm quite fluent.

You think you're not improving, because it's as slow and steady process, certainly after you've attained an intermediate level... but you are improving, baby step by baby step. So keep communicating with your SO and by the time he comes to visit you or you him, you'll have no issues at all. It's not about being perfect... it about communicating in every way possible (and yes this includes the hugs and kisses and what not).

Cheers and good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X