How to bring up long distance boyfriend to parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to bring up long distance boyfriend to parents

Hey! I've been in a long distance with my boyfriend for two years now (we've known each other for a total of 6 years). I'm from the United States and he's from Australia. We've become very serious and really want to be together one day. I know I need to tell my parents its just, I'm terrified.. I'm 23 years old and still live at home, and the thing that freaks me out is that my mom is gonna instantly think he's not who he says he is (he is, we have webcammed). I know I can get that out of her head, but the other thing is that we're both different races. My mom has made comments before about how she's not really into interracial relationships, but if it did it happen, she would get over it. I guess I just don't want her to judge him harshly? He's a great guy and I just want to bring it up to her in the best way possible. I feel like I'm holding us back by not saying anything, I really want to meet him in person and this would be the next step in our relationship. Does anybody have any stories that pertain what I'm going through or advice? Thanks!

I have a mixed-race relationship and one of my parents was not exactly happy about it, mainly because of the inevitable culture issues you run into dating someone from another country. They have both gotten over it though, because they have met him in person and gotten to know him. I'm not sure how to give advice on how to bring up the fact that you're dating someone across the world, because I never had to do that---my mom went thru my phone and saw it, and my dad has always known I talk to people online. I just had to tell them I was flying to India to meet him, which created a bit of a hubbub, but everyone got over it. I presented it as a fact, not a request, as I was an adult. You're fully an adult, and you have the right to make your own decisions. They have the right to not agree with them, but stand by your rights and be gentle. Do your parents know you guys are friends? If not, maybe start there. Good luck!
    sigpic

Comment

don't let anybody stop you !

Originally posted by bree20202 View Post
      Hey! I've been in a long distance with my boyfriend for two years now (we've known each other for a total of 6 years). I'm from the United States and he's from Australia. We've become very serious and really want to be together one day. I know I need to tell my parents its just, I'm terrified.. I'm 23 years old and still live at home, and the thing that freaks me out is that my mom is gonna instantly think he's not who he says he is (he is, we have webcammed). I know I can get that out of her head, but the other thing is that we're both different races. My mom has made comments before about how she's not really into interracial relationships, but if it did it happen, she would get over it. I guess I just don't want her to judge him harshly? He's a great guy and I just want to bring it up to her in the best way possible. I feel like I'm holding us back by not saying anything, I really want to meet him in person and this would be the next step in our relationship. Does anybody have any stories that pertain what I'm going through or advice? Thanks!
      Greetings Bree , the same here my family even here don't let me have a boyfriend I am 23 too , we are so far from each other , but if you trust him and you are want him really go ahead for your love and meet him , your family will always be there for you , sometimes we just can find our second part in the other side of the world .
      Love needs sacrifice
      Do not be afraid of something skip your fears ,Make your second step to progress in your relationship and make it stronger, the relationship becomes cold and boring if there is no meeting sometimes even if it is for a five minutes .
      try your best to get marry of him and he will be yours , your Mum will love him there is no doubt in that it just needs time just go for it.
      Last edited by Dil_Leif; July 1, 2018, 04:17 PM.

Comment

I'm also in an interracial relationship (me being from the US and him being from Germany) and my parents are very traditional/conservative. We had to deal with some racist comments thrown around in the beginning (mostly my dad) but as they've gotten to know him better, they're a lot more accepting. Don't worry about what they think and don't let it stop you from introducing your SO to your family because I'm sure once they get to know him they will be able to look past their beliefs. As for telling them about the relationship, I would recommend video chatting with him while your parents are around. I was extremely scared to tell my parents and I actually never really did haha...I just told them he was a friend of mine and then I'd start bringing him along during car rides or when we were just chilling with family. Once they warmed up to him and after seeing the amount of time we spent together they kinda just figured we were dating at that point. (my mom would joke about it and I'd just never deny it) Honestly just bringing him around your family and giving them the chance to get to know who he is will probably be the best way to go. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X